Aretha Franklin R.I.P. (March 25, 1942 – August 16, 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cathandler, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yes. Rather than just being the proverbial verboten political commentary ("Boy, do I hate THOSE guys a lot!!!"), it was a troll for support on a narrow issue. Like leafletting a wake. And just as a matter of form, the lack of context from the Times' quote is suspicious. Was this a throwaway comment in an article about her business affairs? Was it helpfully informing readers that, even though they heard all those spins in the car back in the day, she didn't see a dime from any of it unless she wrote it? Or was it simply a lobbed emotion-bomb, picking at a fresh wound in some astro-turfed op-ed written by an RIAA flunky?

No argument here.
    A lot of reasons for that, for better or worse.

art likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have posted many information related items in this thread and other threads.

But never been called a troll before, though the cat in my beard disagrees.

3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I didn't use the T-word, unless the T-word is 'Times'. I am still curious about the context for the Times' quote.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Back to Aretha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Aretha helped define the American experience. In her voice, we could feel our history, all of it and in every shade—our power and our pain, our darkness and our light, our quest for redemption and our hard-won respect. May the Queen of Soul rest in eternal peace."
    Barack Obama

7. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

XM Radio Channel 49 is all Aretha now.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

All I have is the 30 Greatest Hiuts CD, but it's been getting a lot of play the last few days. We are blessed to have had her and her immense talent.

God Bless Aretha Franklin.

9. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I never said it did.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I would suggest that a seperate thread be started about business affairs. I'm thinking of starting one about forumites favorite Aretha songs.

12. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

This is the best story I've read all week - I haven't made it through the entire thread here yet but the forum search couldn't find it anywhere, so apologies if it's already been posted. It's too good not to share.

Aretha Franklin Dies at 76

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Gene Simmons pays tribute to Aretha.

zebop, SITKOL'76, Grant and 1 other person like this.
  14. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

I was given these vinyls, but have never played them. Are they a good place to start?

[​IMG]

If I'm honest, I find the idea of a double album of gospel music a rather terrifying prospect, but willing to have my ears opened if it's really worth it...? Might these be less of a baptism of fire?

[​IMG]

zebop likes this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the bottom one is prime Aretha (not gospel), start there!

tin ears, Grant and yarbles like this.
  16. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

The gospel album is fantastic but if you're not already a fan of old school gospel, it's def not the place to start. I DO like gospel from that era, the little I have heard, and it took me awhile to get into Aretha's gospel. The latter twofer has some classic Aretha tunes and is from her prime era - I would start there.

17. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I wouldn't advise someone to start with Amazing Grace.

It took me a while to get it & I absolutely adore all her Atlantic stuff from '67 to '74.

Grant likes this.
  18. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I think I speak for many folks here when I say that I'd be more than happy to take these off your hands!
    :tiphat:

zebop and Terry like this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

21. With all due respect, in an RIP thread most of us pay our respects and give the next member the pen to sign the guest book. Maybe a quick follow up. . . I think I posted a video w/Aretha & Duane and some nice comments about her passing from dignitaries. Issues about royalties and such may be better suited for its own thread. There are no absolute rules but some decorum should be adhered to in an RIP thread. That’s just my perception, others may feel differently. :tiphat:

bluejimbop and Ginger Ale like this.
  22. doc021

doc021 Forum Resident

Thank you for posting. This is sublime....such soul from Aretha, Duane Allman and King Curtis. So good.

Here’s the thing about Aretha. Not only did she sing HER songs with passion, soul and substance but those of there artists. She is one of very few artists who took others songs and made them the definitive version (e.g., Respect, Natural Woman) or covered them in a way that made them hers while still leaving the original a classic (e.g., Bridge Over Troubled Water, Let it Be, Say a Little Prayer)

God she was good.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  23. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Don't discount her gospel music. She started singing in the church and some of her most heartfelt music is gospel. The genre brings out some of her most passionate singing.
    Gospel had a great influence on many artists. Even Elvis recorded some gospel songs over the years, including an EP when he was at peak popularity.
    RIP Aretha, I love all your music, gospel and soul.

24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

another live version of (maybe) my favorite songs of hers, couldn't resist posting it, gives me chills

25. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Aretha's granddaughter shared a video taken in March of Aretha singing while playing the piano.

I couldn't finish it though because even though the voice was still slightly there she looks very frail and thin and unrecognizable. Stevie Wonder shared that in his last meeting with her she was no longer able to speak.

My aunt passed from breast cancer 2 years ago and she was also unrecognizable in her last pictures. Cancer is absolutely horrible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.