Aretha Franklin R.I.P. (March 25, 1942 – August 16, 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cathandler, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

I'm not going through 39 pages, I did a search and this didn't come up, if it's a duplicate, apologies, the mods can remove it ... but here's Aretha with some other fairly heavyweight (as far as talent) singers:

majorlance and SITKOL'76 like this.
  2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

never seen it, thanks! what a lineup

3. not yonder

not yonder Forum Resident

Found it!

Thank God the BBC didn't wipe this one.

I'm not normally one for superlatives, but this could be the greatest soul performance ever televised (I don't doubt there were dozens of others the equal of this that she gave in church before she ever got a record contract).

Hep Alien, GeoffC, mlew and 3 others like this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Soul Town on Sirius XM radio has been playing Aretha's catalogue 24 hours non-stop since her passing. No other artists at all (unless they are singing with her). Quite the tribute!

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! One of my top favorite Aretha sides. I grabbed the video before it goes bye-bye.

6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I do love Aretha’s version of this, and was happy she sang it when I saw her in 2015. That being said, I still think Lulu’s version is the definitive rendition (much the same as I feel Dusty’s “Son Of A Preacher Man” is THE version).

smallworld likes this.
  7. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I'm reluctant to comment as I just don't have the words. However, there are others far better able than I to express the enormity of this loss.

I was pleased to see that BBC1 put out a pretty good tribute on Saturday night (18 August) called Aretha Franklin: Respect. Lots of worthwhile contributions from the likes of Beverley Knight, Jools Holland, Bonnie Greer and Tom Jones, etc. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be anything from anyone who knew Aretha really well, but some of the analysis of her musical traits and her significance was pretty good.

For anyone who is able to access iPlayer (and I appreciate that a lot of people here can't), here's a link to that BBC tribute programme:

BBC iPlayer - Aretha Franklin: Respect

snowman872, Hep Alien and Mook like this.
  8. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I watched & enjoyed the programme but feel that 30 minutes is not sufficient to pay tribute to a musician of Aretha's magnitude.

I would hope that a Friday night on BBC4 will be set aside for her exclusively in the coming weeks.

David Austin likes this.
  9. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Rolling Stone seems to be doing something new with Aretha Franklin's death by publishing a series of articles on her "greatest albums" though it seems more like favorites of their writing staff since some are definitely personal choices. Instead of dumping them all out at once, Rolling Stone seems to be publishing one per day (which makes sense since these articles were assigned after her death).

The latest one is Lady Soul:
    Aretha’s Greatest Albums: ‘Lady Soul’ (1968) – Rolling Stone

11. the pope ondine

that a great one too, so different but she nails it

pghmusiclover likes this.
  12. the pope ondine

interesting appearance by Aretha, (12, mins in) soupy sales was a big fan!

skisdlimit and Hep Alien like this.
  13. not yonder

Oh, man.....from three minutes onwards, she's channeling her father so beautifully

skisdlimit and Hep Alien like this.
  14. not yonder

The moment I wake up, I say a little prayer for youtube.

The Beatles on the Morecambe and Wise Show was pretty good, but the sequence from 7.30 in this video knocks it into a cocked hat.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Detroit News has a TON of coverage BTW - apparently there was a special section dedicated to Aretha over the weekend, but check out the online page set up for her:

Aretha Franklin: Queen of Soul

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Idi Amin....top of his game...:confused:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  17. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I just saw on the local news that Madonna made her VMA tribute to Aretha all about herself... :tsk:

18. Maybe Madonna’s next album can be a tribute to Aretha. . . The Queen of Skank sings The Queen of Soul.

19. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

:laughup:

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Rolling Stone's Rob Sheffield (who wrote a book on the Beatles that was published fairly recently) wrote an article on Aretha covering the Beatles, and he picked "The Long and Winding Road" as the best of them. I love the album it came from, but I never gave that track much though because I always had mixed feelings about. A standard, no doubt about it, but even without Phil Spector's production, a bit soggy. Sheffield's right, she really owns that song and re-defines it in a way the Beatles (or Paul) could never do.

Why Nobody Sang the Beatles Like Aretha – Rolling Stone

Is Rolling Stone planning to do a special standalone issue on Aretha like they did with Prince, Bowie and Tom Petty?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Hep Alien and Mook like this.
  21. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I absolutely love the live version of Eleanor Rigby she does on the Fillmore album.

Hep Alien and bluejimbop like this.
  22. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Yeah I saw that last night...it was confusing to say the least.

23. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Between this and the Prince debacle, it's safe to say that no one should ever call Madonna if they're arranging a tribute. And I say this as a Madonna fan.

tin ears likes this.
  24. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Brother Ray got after it pretty good too. One of the 1st Beatles covers after Joe Cocker where I could appreciate the artistry involved.

Hep Alien and Mook like this.
  25. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Also from the Cliff Richard show from 1970 ...

Hep Alien and ledsox like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.