Aretha Franklin - The Atlantic Singles Collection (1967-1970) in MONO*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by smallworld, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The 2 cd set I had was all stereo.

2. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Looks...
    GREAT

3. My copy indicates that all of the mixes were stereo.

Grant and Joel1963 like this.
  4. Coaltrain

Coaltrain Forum Resident

To clarify the mono/stereo balance on the Queen of Soul collections: There are two four-disc sets: the first from 1992 contains 86 tracks from her Atlantic recording career. 16 of these tracks, including all 11 of the songs on her first Atlantic album, I Never Loved a Man, are in mono. Aside from the first album, the following songs are in mono: You Are My Sunshine, Going Down Slow, The House that Jack Built, My Song, and The Weight. Atlantic said on the box that it chose the mono versions of these tunes because of their "greater musicality and superior sonics." Although I still have the set, largely because of the fine booklet, CD rot destroyed all of the discs. Rhino was good enough to replace it with the 2014 revised Queen of Soul set which has slightly different content among its 87 tracks. Like the 1992 set, all of the first album is in mono. The following tracks are also in mono: Satisfaction, You Are My Sunshine, Never Let Me Go, Prove It, I Wonder, Ain't Nobody (Gonna Turn Me Around), It Was You (outtake from Aretha Arrives), A Natural Woman, Chain of Fools, The House That Jack Built and Talk to Me (outtake from Soul '69). For those who might have wondered, Satisfaction was not included on the 1992 set. The other significant differences between the two sets are the inclusion in the 2014 set of a couple of outtakes from Aretha's early albums and three gospel numbers.

5. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

I would also love to know the difference. There's a clip of the UK 45 on Youtube and I can tell no difference between it and the LP version.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

You’ve just succinctly answered a question I’ve been pondering for ages, thanks! Interesting to hear some of the 60s stereo releases are below par. Whenever I buy a 60s album I have to choose between mono and stereo and never sure which to go for.

Hep Alien, mikedifr0923 and Grissongs like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't played either in a long time but I seem to remember the 45 being a totally different recording with female backing singing that isn't on the album.

8. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is this the UK 45 of "Satisfaction"?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's the one.

10. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

Nevermind I hear the difference now. I'm curious if the version on the b-side of the UK single "Chain Of Fools" is the same mix

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Of course this is the way we want to hear Arethas classic singles. Mono.

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

On the Aretha Arrives LP? I seem to remember the LP version not having the backing singing and more horns, but I haven't played it for a long time. I'll give it a spin as soon as I can. I have the original US stereo pressing as well as the album in the Original Album Series CD set.

I could be totally wrong!

ClausH likes this.
  13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Question; did Aretha receive the Haceo CSG treatment?

86George likes this.
  14. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I have the Demon UK/Rhino 5-CD set from the "100 Hits Legends" series and it has the LP version of "Satisfaction" with horns and no backing vocals. There is a good amount of mono tracks spread over the first 2 CD's and I think "The Weight" on the third CD is also mono.

Hep Alien, ClausH and Man at C&A like this.
  15. Coaltrain

Coaltrain Forum Resident

The mono version on Aretha Arrives is much different from the UK version above. It sounds much cleaner and more dynamic. That is true of many of the mono tracks on her recordings. Interestingly, my copy of Aretha Arrives is from Rhino UK.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

There is no mono version of "Aretha Now". It was only mixed to stereo. But, the singles from it are mono.

No.

17. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

Yes, actually Aretha did receive the Haeco CSG treatment on This Girl's In Love With You. See Aretha Franklin - This Girl's In Love With You
    Not so fast! There is an extremely rare US mono promo of Aretha Now and also a regular UK mono issue. Whether they are true mono mixes I cannot say.

In any event, her mono single mixes can be truly explosive. It'll be interesting to compare the mono single mixes with the corresponding tracks on the first three Atlantic mono albums. They might be different (a la the UK "Satisfaction" single).

McLover, Old Rusty and Hep Alien like this.
  18. Grant

Well, I think the question asker and I were meaning commercial pressings. Remember, the CGS process was mainly created for radio.

The album produced singles that had dedicated mono mixes, so it would be interesting to see if that extremely rare promo was a foldover or not.

Sonically, the most obvious difference is with her very first Atlantic single "I Never Loved A Man The Way That I Loved You". The overall mix is dry, and the brass and drums, especially, are louder, clearer, and brash.

Mixwise, the two that stand out the most are "Dr. Feelgood", "Prove It", and "You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman". All three mono mixes contain elements that are different than the stereo mixes. And, in the case of "I Never Loved A Man The Way That I Loved You" and Think", the singles have a later fadeout.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. gbailey

gbailey Well-Known Member

This collection has made it to this side of the Atlantic. Received email from Amazon (US) today, offering this for $19.98. 9/28/18 release date in US as well.

Grant and smallworld like this.
  20. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

21. Grant

You know i'll get my copy next week! I just hope they didn't screw anything up and get wrong single versions.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  22. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

9/28/18 = September 28th

23. Grant

Sheesh! I keep thinking we are already in September.o_O It just doesn't feel like August to me this year.

Anyway, i'm on it!:)

24. I am definitively excited about this release. I have just a couple of her albums on vinyl, the rest on CD, stereo mixes, though they are the excellent Rhino re-issues so very playable. I no longer have any singles compilations by Aretha, which is how I first got into her music.
    The only quandary I have here is whether to get the CD or vinyl, normally it would be a no-brainer, but with extra songs on the CD I'm on the fence at the moment.
    It's a nice problem to have.

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Looking forward to this, especially the vinyl version. I have her early original vinyl releases, but they are stereo. This should be a really fun/cool listen! Already on order at my local shop.

In regards to the comment a fellow member made stating that all new releases should be on Tuesdays, well Tuesdays were not a good release date. Coming from experience, one of the main reasons Fridays are now the new release day is because some retailers were late getting their shipments and would not have until a day or so later. This way most everyone has them by Wednesdays now and can start selling as early as Thursday if they choose. Might affect the first week sales as well. Also had to do with down loads and such...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.