Argent on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Karsten, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karsten

Karsten Forum Resident Thread Starter

After I listened to, and enjoyed, the first two Colin Blunstone albums, as well as the quasi Argent tracks on the “Zombie Heaven” box set, I’d like to get the first, self titled Argent album on cd. What would be my best purchase, sound quality wise? These are the versions I know about:

- A twofer from 2007, coupled with, for reasons I don’t know, “Circus”.
    - Another twofer from 2005, coupled with “Ring of Hands”.
    - A disc from 1993 on “BGO”.

Does any of these sound decent? Are there other, better sounding versions on cd? Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Natvecal. likes this.
  2. Varese Sarabande is coming out with a 18 track best of Argent Cd in March, single versions. this should sound great.:)

3. Karsten

Thank you for the quick help! I can imagine that one will be nice as well. So I guess there is no good sounding "Argent" cd atm?Do you know about other good comps? How's the BBC set?

4. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

As noted, the single versions will be included in this new collection. So if you want the longer versions of such songs as 'Hold Your Head Up,' the older Anthology on Epic is worth having.

5. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Great news!

6. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Does anyone have the tracklist for this?

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My only reference is the two fer with Ring of Hands. I thought it sounded very good, don't know if it's possible for these tapes to sound excellent (condition, age, storage, etc). For me, I needed to have a few tracks on Ring of Hands as well, so it was essential for that. I think Ring was a big letdown after the debut, but it has its moments.
    I probably won't get the Varese, I don't have any interest in the single edits. But I do have that great (now OOP) remaster of All Together Now, so I'm pretty content.

8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

As always, I have no expertise to offer when it comes to sound matters. But from a strictly musical standpoint, I would go with the two-fer with Ring of Hands.

Yes, there are some duff tracks on it that bring it down a notch from the debut, but the good songs ("Celebration," "Rejoice" and the sublime "Pleasure") are so good that it's more than worth it.

The more bombastic side of Argent hinted at on some of the Ring of Hands tracks is in full bloom by the time of their subsequent albums. These first two are all you need to know...but they're essential, IMHO, to any Zombies/Colin Blunstone fan.

9. Karsten

Thank you for your help! So I think i'll check that one out. If the tapes are in bad shape, there is not much you could do about it. As long as they didn't use some 3rd or 4th generation tapes, nonoised them, brickwalled them, did some huge treble boost to bring back some of the life , or any combination of these choices, I'll be happy. ;)

Natvecal. likes this.
  10. Karsten

That twofer would be the obvious choice for sure. As I said, I'll try it. It's just that I heard somewhere (this forum?) it sounded awful. The Panda seems to like it. We'll see. :)

11. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

I've got a copy of the first S/T Argent album on Line Records. Bought this ages ago and it's no doubt long OOP, but it sounds very nice and natural to these ears. The used CD stores may be your friends for this title.

As to All Together Now, I have the first Epic pressing without the bonus tracks. While no demonstration disc, it too sounds very smooth and unfutzed-with.

You Better You Bet likes this.
  12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

March 11th, 2008

Argent “Greatest: The Singles Collection” 302 066 880 2 (CD)
    After The Zombies broke up, keyboardist / songwriter Rod Argent formed a new band in 1969, which incorporated more classical, jazz, and art rock influences, in line with Argent’s musical training. The group’s other members were lead singer / guitarist / songwriter Russ Ballard, bassist Jim Rodford, and drummer Bob Henrit.

Russ Ballard also wrote “God Gave Rock ‘N’ Roll to You,” later covered by Kiss, and “Liar,” a top 10 hit for Three Dog Night in 1971.

Contains the top five smash “Hold Your Head Up,” as well as Argent’s versions of “Liar” and “God Gave Rock ‘N’ Roll to You.”

This is the first Argent hits collection since the eight-track 1976 Anthology: The Best of Argent, and is the only one to exclusively feature the single mixes of their hits along with popular album tracks.

This 18-track collection includes 10 original single mixes that are appearing on CD for the first time. In addition, none of these versions is available on iTunes.

Includes a live reworking of The Zombies classic “Time of the Season.”

Track List:
    1 Liar (single version)
    2 Schoolgirl (single version)
    3 Dance In The Smoke
    4 Sweet Mary (single version)
    5 Lothlorien
    6 Pleasure
    7 Celebration (single version)
    8 Cast Your Spell Uranus
    9 Hold Your Head Up (single version)
    10 Be My Lover, Be My Friend
    11 I Am The Dance Of Ages
    12 Tragedy (single version)
    13 God Gave Rock and Roll To You (single version)
    14 Its Only Money, Pt 2 (single version)
    15 Man For All Reasons (single version)
    16 Thunder And Lighting (single version)
    17 Jester
    18 Time Of The Season

13. Karsten

Thank you. :) For what it's worth, i believe the line version of the yardbird's "Roger the Engineer" is (soundwise) the best digital version out there. but I don't think it will be easy to find one, and I don't want t spend 50++ on an album I haven't even heard. So i think i'll stick with the two fer unless someone knows more.

14. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I have the BGO version of Argent and though I haven't listened to it in quite awhile, I don't recall it being a sonic masterpiece...although that could be due to the original production for all I know. I've also got the Collectables Ring of Hands CD, which I think sounds great (and IMO is as good an album or better than the debut album).

Anybody have the Wounded Bird CD of Argent/Circus and if so, could you comment on sound quality of both albums?

15. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Thanks, Bill, for the info and tracklist. This looks really good to me, includes a lot of good songs. I hope it's remastered to sound really good as well.:righton:

16. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I have the Sony Rewind editions of In Deep, Nexus and All Together Now.

I have no complaints. They sound pretty natural and warm.

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Well, I have sealed copies of Debut/Ring of Hands on BGO, Nexus on BGO, and All Together Now on Epic.

I need to open these up and hear this music. From what I understand, "Nexus" is their most prog album.

18. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

You're right, it is. It threw me off at first when I first listened to it. So much so I didn't know if I liked it. It grows on you.

19. Karsten

Good news, forum member David Goodwin has actually compared the various versions of the first Argent album:

So I think I'll go with the wounded bird reissue. Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions :)

20. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Glad he cleared that up. I have the BGO two-fer and David's right - it is insanely hissy.

The original production isn't so hot, but I have to figure the vinyl sounded better. Unfortunately, the only copy I ever had was beat up and crackly. Gotta look for a minty one since it sounds like this great album hasn't seen a definitive CD release yet.

21. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

so the BGO "First+Ring of Hand" is not recommended ?
    I wonder if they were good to begin with... they are now reissuing it on Universal Japan, and I'm thinking about replacing my BGO copy with those two... dose any body knows if any of the argent original LP, came with special art cover (foldout or something like that).

22. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Any more opinions on the Argent/Circus two-fer (Wounded Bird Records)? I'm not very familiar with Argent, but I just heard a cut from "Circus" on a radio show and LOVED it. Is the two-fer OK or is there a better import CD pressing of this album?

23. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

I have a German import of Circus on CD. Unfortunately it is brickwalled so I can't recommend it.

24. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Recommendations on what to AVOID are useful too. ;) Thanks!

25. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

No problem. If you've only heard one track you're in for a treat. This and Nexus are essential Argent. Well to me, Circus, Nexus and All Together Now are essential for the prog fan. The first album is fantastic, but not prog. I suppose Ring of Hands is a little proggy, essential for the Argent fan no doubt, but maybe not the prog fan. In Deep is okay but doesn't live up to the albums sandwiched around it to me.

And what about Counterpoints? This is the only Argent not on CD if I am not mistaken. I have the vinyl but I haven't played it yet. Too busy typing messages about Argent. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.