Argent on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Karsten, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who or what is/are Vic A., please?:confused:

2. I like them all but the two first and the two last more then those in the middle, actualy.

http://www.spincds.com/product.asp?id=9019627

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Mastering engineer Vic Anesini. Before the closure of Sony Music Studios in New York, he was one of Sony Music's main mastering engineers and responsible for many Forum Favorite CD releases.

Natvecal. likes this.
  4. Ok, but what has he to do with the new Argent-cd's?

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Argent records were issued on Epic, a Columbia subsidiary, all now part of Sony Music.

6. Yes, I know but I still don't understand what he ment by his original post.

7. Runt

Runt Senior Member

The first two Argent albums, S/T and Ring of Hands are killer. My two favorites. After those...well, Argent tends to be more of a guilty pleasure for me. But even though things get dicey after the first two, each album has its moments IMO.

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

A lot of people here like his work.

9. Yes, I understand that as well, but still don't understand his comment, I'm afraid :confused:

10. Oh, does he mean that he assumes that the new releases won't be good just because they're not made by that...what was his name again???

11. gorilla monsoon

gorilla monsoon New Member

Vic
    He did the Elvis stuff I have.

12. Ok, I take that as a "yes". I, on the other hand, would suggest one actualy listening to records before juding them, but maybe I missunderstood.
    Anyhow, Argent are great and I hope that the new versions sounds good and that someone someday also releases "Counterpoints" as well as a good release in europe of "Circus".

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

When I think what Vic could do with that first Argent.......oh man, it would sound amazing.

14. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm nonplussed that you could speak favorably of Argent (the debut album) and yet be so totally dismissive of Ring of Hands.

Yes, "Sweet Mary" is throwaway blues not suited to them, and "Cast Your Spell Uranus" and "Lothlorien" foreshadow the turgid prog they descended into.

But "Celebration," "Rejoyce" and especially "Pleasure" are sublime, and the rest of the songs on Side 2 range from passable to very good.

I guess I like the songs mentioned so very very much that I'm willing to overlook the fact that some of the album is dross.

One thing I wouldn't say, though, is that Ring of Hands is all "one song."

15. Vic Anesini, for Sony, prepared the Simon & Garfunkel catalog,
    Spirit, The Byrds, and IIRC the (now 2 year-old) Sly Stone box on cd.

No one at Sony does a better job mastering vintage tapes onto modern cds.
    Few here would disagree. Any other engineer at Sony would be a step down.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

God, I really tried. I listened to it over and over, thinking, "I've gotta like this, I like the first one." Finally I gave up. For me, it's all about Chained. What a great, stirring song. I'll try again, though, I have some of those songs as bonus tracks on the Koch All Together Now.

17. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Totally agree with MikeM. Give Ring of Hands another try, especially those three tracks he mentioned..."Celebration," "Rejoice" and "Pleasure." Those songs sparkle with great harmonies, awesome keyboard work and some unforgettable melodies. I was always amazed that "Celebration" wasn't a huge hit for the band (a much better tune than "Hold Your Head Up" IMO). Many of the other tracks on Ring have their moments, too, though I agree that some prog tendencies started to appear on this album.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The first five albums, in mini sleeves, are available for pre-order at Amazon.co.uk for $14.98 UKP, which after VAT is removed and shipping is added, is less than $23 shipped to the US. Certainly the most economical way to get the albums.

Notes about these 5CD mini sleeve collections from the UK: The mini sleeves are of low quality: Typically just scans of the LP covers in reduced form. No inner sleeves. These are not 100% accurate Japanese mini LPs. The mastering tends to be the last commercially released mastering when applicable, and includes the CDs include any bonus tracks that were on the most recent mastering.

19. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Ring of Hands, In Deep and Encore were released in the U.S. on the Collectables label. I've got Ring and Deep, they don't sound bad (although I don't have a clue what source was used or who remastered.) I've also got the Japanese mini-LP editions of S/T and Ring. A tad harsh on the highs, but overall not bad. Gorgeous packaging, though.

20. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

My complaints about the BGO two-fer of the first two albums focus on the first record, which has some unbelievably exaggerated high-end that verges into distortion on some tracks (especially "Be Free"). That said, most versions of that first LP have some problems: no high-end to speak of (the LINE disc), questionable channel balance (Wounded Bird). I think the thing was just recorded/mixed strangely.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

sounds like vinyl is the way to go here........agree/disagree?

22. Backsasser

Backsasser Forum Resident

Argent has always been a band i liked a lot too!

23. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

I love the first two and the last three.

24. I disagree. Because I don't have a turntable.:D

I am surprised at the lack of love for "Lothlorien" on Ring of Hands. Rod is on fire on this track and his solo never bores me.

25. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I think because it's quite long and "proggy" that it may turn off some people. But I agree, it's a great track. Especially that classical-sounding keyboard workout right around the middle of the song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.