Argent on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Karsten, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Yes, and the price has actually gone down 3 pounds since you posted this...I'm considering picking it up. I only have the first album and "Circus" (on a Wounded Bird twofer), both of which I love.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah: All five albums for less than $20 shipped to the US. Downsides: No liner notes, low grade album cover replicas (scans of the original album covers, nothing more). Upsides: Take up a lot less room on your shelf, way cheaper than any other source for the five albums.

3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What label is that on? I didn't know Circus ever had a legit release prior to the Wounded Bird issue.

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Were there any other Argent cd's released by Line Germany besides S/T?

5. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

The only one that I know of. Great disc by the way both in content and sound.:righton:

Bought the Japanese Argent box which contained all the mini-sleeves of their catlg except of course "Counterpoints". Originally released on MCA so that must be the reason. :sigh:

What I would love to see come out on CD is an album that Rod Argent did as a great one off album called "Shadow Show" released in 1983 as a UK LP release only. Rod Argent did all lead vocals and the band included Barbara Thompson, Jon Hiseman, Clem Clempson & John Mole. Love to see Esteroic or another indie come up with this.

http://991.com/NewGallery/Argent-Shadowshow-417958.jpg

Tracklisting
    1. Secure In You
    2. Down On Your Luck
    3. Sleepwalker
    4. Siren
    5. Manhattan Midnite
    6. It's Over
    7. Echoes
    8. Moving In The Morning Sun
    9. Doing What Must Be Done
    10. Midday Riser
    11. Times Past

Rick A.

Attached Files:

6. Robor

Robor Well-Known Member

Hey, anybody has heard the Acadia 2007 remaster of All Together Now?
    (which one is now out of print...)

7. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Counterpoints

In the UK the Counterpoints LP was released on RCA. I have the LP and made my one and only needle drop from it. I'd love a legit CD version. its been on my want list for years, it's a great album.
    Trevor.

yesstiles likes this.
  8. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I want to buy the debut album, Ring Of Hands and Circus on CD.

The cheapest option is to buy the Wounded Bird twofer and maybe the Ring Of Hands collectables CD, but for £40 I could buy the 2008 Japan mini LPs. I'm not sure I want to spend that much though - only if they sounded significantly better than the previously mentioned CDs.

Anyone have any advice?

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I have this one, and it sounds fine, with two great albums: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Argent-Ring...ie=UTF8&qid=1396890296&sr=1-5&keywords=argent
    Nice price, too. Circus never did it for me, so I can't speak of its reissues.
    Hope this helps.

jl151080 likes this.
  10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

11. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I picked up Nexus on CD last year and really enjoyed it, particularly the proggy songs that made up the original side 1.

yesstiles likes this.
  12. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I've heard some say Argent on the BGO twofer that you listed doesn't sound great, though the cheapest option is probably to pick up the BGO Argent/Ring of Hands Twofer and the Wounded Bird Argent/Circus twofer.

13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Fr Discogs: Line Records* "German label established early 1979 by former TELDEC A&R manager Uwe Tessnow".
    + it's a '91... good enough for me too checkout!

* what a funky/fun little label catalog!!

You Better You Bet likes this.
  14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

PikED up the 2000 Sony last night, even tho i'm a SonyHater* BIG time.
    Sound is detailED on the desk-s; have too check the old Epic against it soon.

* altho got too give Sony credit for most Blu-ray releases like for the last decade & recent ceedee releases can shine as well; as long as no Rootkit is attached!

That's the 2008 "Green Tree Records" for anyone keeping score.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yep, "Counterpoints" is a fantastic album, maybe my favorite Argent album. Same with "Circus."

16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I have been generally happy with the 2008 Japanese CD releases of Argent, Ring of Hands, All Together Now, In Deep, Nexus, Encore and Circus. Argent were truly a great band right from the beginning and incredibly they only seemed to get better and better by each subsequent studio album; Circus is their masterpiece, if you ask me.

yesstiles likes this.
  17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Did that live TV Special filmed of Argent's "Circus" concert in the UK 1975 ever surface?

18. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Got the Sony "Greatest - The Single Collection" [new/rare for me].
    1st luv'ED the bass [both bass & drums].
    However, it was overall un-crankable too me on me system & vocal sibilance was way too prevalent.

Found out i'm way-too-old a rocker & needED/wantED the longer album cuts; butt that's just me!
    [what a poor cut for the single edit of "HYHU"/just starts fading off during that powerful chorus]

19. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Another vote for the Line CD of the first album.
    Ed -
    Did you pick up a copy?

BIG ED likes this.
  20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

i haven't found a "Line" comp ceedee, is there one?!?!
    BIG thanks.

EDitEDbyED:
    i only found the S/T on "Line" & "Coline" (ha, ha!!).

sooooo... as you may have surmisED... only lOOking for the best SQ comp on ceedee...

21. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Line never released a comp on CD, just the first album. It's the best Argent reissue I've heard. For a comp, I have an early Japan for Europe Epic CDEPC 81202 Anthology disc. Sounds good as well.

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Ya, Side 1 of "Nexus" is great. Unfortunately Side 2 is really poor in comparison, except for Ballard's excellent "Man For All Reasons."

23. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I recently downloaded Circus having only sampled it, and I love it. After years of hearing Hold Your Head Up, one day a few weeks back it dawned on me how good that keyboard solo is, so I decided to download it (making sure I avoided the slaughtered radio edit) and explore Argent's other material. I had no idea what I was in for. I'm looking forward to finding a copy of Nexus on CD (sometimes I get lazy/impatient and go straight to itunes - I don't recall seeing Nexus available there). Does anyone know if Counterpoints will ever be released on CD?

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Probably the one Argent album that's full-tilt prog all the way through-- Replacing Russ Ballard with flash guitarist John Grimaldi made a big difference. There's a lot of that (and Phil Collins) on Counterpoints too, but it seemed that made an effort to include some Zombies-style pop songs on that one too.

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"Counterpoints" probably won't be released on cd anytime soon, but it's well worth the effort to get a copy on LP. My LP sounds great and I love that album (only having discovered it in 2014).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.