Arise Sir Ringo, and Sir Barry

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Congrats Richard the 4th!

[​IMG]

blutiga and SixOClockBoos like this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Barry and Richard have come far from humble backgrounds in Manchester and Liverpool; well done chaps, er, I mean Sirs! :cool:

3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

And all they have to do is listen to Rain! :agree:

Ignatius and vitorbastos123 like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Since it's a knighthood, Ringo actually gets the tap on the shoulder with the sword by the Queen.

She seems to be in very good health and everything, but is it a good idea to have a 91 year old woman handling a sword?

forthlin, DRM and beccabear67 like this.
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

6. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Shoot... I was hoping for Barry White!

7. Chris DeVoe

Nah, you have to be both alive and British.

forthlin and Fullbug like this.
  8. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

That gives Barry Bonds half a chance! :righton:

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It’s his enormous hooter. And his poor head trembling under the weight of it.

forthlin likes this.
  10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love that shot!

Efus and Fullbug like this.
  11. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I am uncertain but it may be that Barry has dual UK and Australian citizenship.

If that is so then it it is not unlikely that Barry received the honour based on his UK citizenship, it is less likely that nowadays the Queen would bestow UK honours to an Australian citizen. Australia has its own honours systems.

Open questions would include whether Barry had/ should receive the Australian equivalent honour.

12. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Not if it's a pork sword.....

13. Nickslikk2112

Nickslikk2112 Heavy Metal Psyclist

Which it might be, as Big Ears sometimes steps in for his mummy :)

Fullbug likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

I was just thinking if the Queen accidentally nicked Ringo's ear with the sword as she knighted him, he could quip that "I think you got a piece, luv."

sjaca, glewes and Fullbug like this.
  15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This should have been done for all the Beatles long long time ago!
    Just as every one of them should have been in the rock hall of fame at the exact same time!

Fullbug likes this.
  16. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

The Queen can knight anybody, but only a citizen of a commonwealth country can call themselves " Sir " however many commonwealth countries no longer allow British honours so i'm not sure what the situation would be now for any new Australian knight, having said that i believe Barry is still a British passport holder.

zphage and Fullbug like this.
  17. muffmasterh

the independent countries are not dependances they are called realms

18. muffmasterh

that is correct along with Jersey & Guernsey and the other channels islands, & Gibraltar is a crown colony i believe.

19. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

The problem people have with Ringo is that they keep comparing him to the other 3. Cmon! Is totally unfare to him(and to a lot of ther musicians) to be compared to 3 of the greatest lyric geniuses of all time.
    And since George and John are not here, is easy to be pissed about Ringo being here and not John and George, people seem frustrated about that, cuz I notice that before 1980, making fun of Ringo was not a thing. Why people dont make fun of Nick Mason? Because both big names of the band are still playing and they dont compare Nick talents to the other members. Thats how I see it.

sjaca and muffmasterh like this.
  20. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

LOL! :laughup:

And re: Barry

I am quite happy he is also to be knighted. Just wish Robin and Maurice would have lived long enough to receive the same honor. :cry:

Of course, when I thought of "Sir Robin" I immediately thought of Monty Python and the Holy Grail :laugh::

qwerty likes this.
  21. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I see it differently. I recall Ringo being the butt of "jokes" in the 60's (eg., "Ringo's a talent-less drummer"). Possibly because he was a bit goofy - he came up with really good humour in press conferences but left the serious answers to John and Paul. And the bullying continued through the 60's to the present day. It's got nothing to do with comparisons to the other Beatles, he was considered the easy target to bully. And once a person is the designated person to bully, it will automatically continue irrespective of the lack of validity.

And in the current context, people probably think it's funny that it's taken 20 years since McCartney's knighting for Ringo to be recognized (with the unconscious association that because Ringo's considered to be a joke that there is good reason for it). I think it's downright disrespectful of the Monarchy - Ringo and the other Beatles should have been recognised together.

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, Commonwealth Realms. As for Anguilla, it is a British Overseas Territory, which is why it doesn’t appear in that list of current realms.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Commonwealth:

NothingBrightAboutIt likes this.
  24. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Commonwealth is 52 states.
    Here i listed the 16 realms of which the Queen is sovereign, and the list is up to date.
    Anguilla is not a country, Anguilla is a british overseas territory belonging to the UK

muffmasterh likes this.
  25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I see.
    So which one has the dragons, castles and other cool stuff?

andybeau likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.