Arizona and New Mexico record stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jlc76, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Thank you for the detailed information :righton:. I am planning on a trip to central Texas at some point this year and plan to hit the stores in Austin and San Antonio.

2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Are there any places worth checking out in Santa Fe? It looks like I'll be visiting there in October.

3. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I honestly don't recall a great vinyl store in Santa Fe...Albuquerque has more selection, IIRC.

4. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

They do but many close early (5 or 6) even on weekends and a couple aren't open Mon or Tues. One place Nob Hill Music opened up especially for my friend and I on a Sunday evening which was good because we found a few things. Super nice guy too.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  5. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Tonight's The Night In Albuquerque....

With apoligives to the OP for not quoting his whole long original post (see top of page one...)

I just wanted to comment on Charley's Records in AL

"Albuquerque
    Apparently most stores are closed Mon and Tues and even the ones that aren't are only open from 11-6. We arrived Mon night at 6 so we only hit a couple stores.

Charleys - again more crap rock/pop with a smattering of good stuff thrown in. My main complaint about this store was all the used records were sealed tight in shrinkwrap...WTF is wrong with people? Is this preventing theft or further damage? They had gradings on all but most were VG which I won't even consider unless it's something truly rare. Besides, how do I know their grading is similar to mine? I bought nothing.

Nob Hill - they were closed but one of the employees agreed to open up and let us shop (on his day off...he's a keeper). It had some decent stuff but it was all priced accordingly...no steals to be found. He says they get in a lot of weird electronic and free jazz but it's apparently hit pretty hard too when new stuff goes out (who knew there were record fiends in Albuquerque?). Anyway, props to him for opening up but it sounds like a lot of the stores in Austin where you just have to be there at the right time. I still managed to get yet another clean copy of On The Beach first press this one has a better jacket that the one I got in Phoenix. I also picked up some weirdo record by Jeff Greinke which I will check out later."

I found myself in Albuquerque last Thursday Night, one night only, and after much searching could only find one Record store, Charley's opened at about 8:00 PM. I did not make it to Nob Hill, as they were closed after Charley's, but I did have a nice pleasant exp. at Charley's I'll share.

Upon entering the soon to be closed for the night and empty store, I was greeted by a wonderfully friendly female named Colleen (my wife's name) who turned out to be the owner. We struck up a conversation and though are tastes were totally different she helpfully showed me to the various places I wished to see in her big store, and when I commented I'd be quick she said "take your time." I then noted that all the Lps were sealed and she said it was to prevent damage, finger-prints and stuff. When I asked about the highest grade being VG+ she handed me a sheet which clearly and in great detail explained the grading at her store, with a VG+ her highest grade and qual to our EX+ or M-. When I had found seven Lps I wished to purchase, based on price and grade on shrink I asked to see the three more expensive ones (no more than $15.99,) and she opened them toot suite, and they were all a solid mint-. I think I opened one or two more there, or the rest back in my hotel room, and even the three prices at $3.99 and marked VG- were in great shape and I was right pleased.

Colleen, who had worked there for years and bought out the owner when he was closing the place up, was a proud owner who did her own thing her style. Would it be nice to check the Lps out as I browsed, yes? But she opened anything I wanted to see, and her grading was excellent and conservative. She was uber-freindly, and very pretty in a sorta Gothic/Classic Rock long black-haired sorta way with big puppy dog eyes... I'll admit I might have been smittten by her charms and vast Rock knowledge, but she was a nice record store owner--and a rare female one at that-- and she has a great store and lots of good records.

In total I scored:

Ten Years After ~ A Space In Time US (QUAD) mix, VG-, $3.99
    Nicky Hopkins ~ The Tin Man Was A Dreamer, US Col., VG, $3.99 (just read his bio!)
    Mark-Almond ~ 73, VG, $3.99, US Col. with Hopkins on a track and some great songs.
    Peter Hammill ~ In Camera, UK Charsima (Porky on one side) VG- $4.99
    Heart ~ Little Queen ~ UK Portrait, VG $7.99
    Joni Mitchell ~ Hejira ~ Japanese Asylum (no OBI) VG+, $15.99
    and
    Kate Bush ~ Lionheart ~ UK EMI, VG+, $15.99

These last three Lps, the more expensive ones, were all basically Mint-.

I was very happy overall and had a great buying/customer service exp., though I have not played all these tasty looking Lps yet, only the Quad right now.

So, a big, friendly, 'shout-out' to Colleen and the fine folks at Charley's Records in Albuquerque, New Mexico, from a very happy, vinyl-loving, record-store shopping customer.

cheers,

6. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Thanks for this. Truly. I'll be in Santa Fe in about 3 weeks and with seemingly no place to shop there, I think I'll be taking a drive into Albuquerque to do some buying. I'll check out Nob Creek as well.

7. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Runnin' Up That Hill...

Have Fun and Happy Hunting...:wave:

And head up that Creek to the top of the Hill, Nob that is... :winkgrin:

That 'creek' is the Rio Grande, and it is swollen these days...

PS: Please say "Hi!" to Colleen, the raven-haired beauty-owner of Charley's, from me, Mr. Bill. I was the one who bought the Nicky Hopkins, Kate Bush, Heart and Joni Mitchell. She might remember me... :angel:

cheers,

8. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I wanted to comment on Stinkweeds. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and while the used records were in loose shrink the owner was only too happy to open them up for me to check out. I ended up buying a first pressing US Dark Side of the Moon with posters.

I live near the Bookman's on Speedway and used to go in there almost everyday. I picked up a lot of good Jazz. The prices were pretty good. I generally only paid $5 a record and got some rare ones. Earlier this summer they raised all their prices on records and were selling by the cover, not what was in it (One person I talked to said it was a decision from the top). Since there were no more bargains to be had I haven't been in there for months.

I haven't been to the Zia's on Speedway for sometime either. The manager didn't want to give me a refund on a used record that was incredibly noisy because it could have been damaged by the heat. Even though their refund rules say nothing about no returns on used records.

The Goodwill on Speedway used to be good for records but they raised their prices as well. Maybe there is something wrong with Speedway.

Chad

9. LordThanos1969

I like Stinkweeds (I'm assuming you are talking about the store on Central in Phoenix), but that would be about the last place I would ever expect to find a copy of Dark Side of the Moon let alone a first pressing. They only carry a tiny amount of classic rock material. Most of the inventory is alternative and punk with some odds and ends thrown in for good measure. The employees and owner are very friendly, but unfortunately for me, I am not interested in most of their inventory.

One store that has been previously discussed in this thread is Revolver Records. Recently, they have been blessed to have acquired some fairly amazing vinyl collections. About three weeks ago, I saw some beautiful Move, Roy Wood, Lou Reed, Queen, Zeppelin, and Traffic records for sale. Many of these records got sold quickly, and I even succumbed and bought about $60 worth of records despite my self-imposed ban on buying vinyl. This past week Revolver got in another collection with a large number of Zappa records, and while I was in the store, someone came in and sold them a Dark Side of the Moon MFSL and a Wall Mastersound. I am starting to believe Revolver is the best store for vinyl in Phoenix.

10. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I'll have to check out Revolver next time I'm in Phoenix. At Stinkweeds there was a stack of records on the floor including some Beatles and Stones and the Pink Floyd I bought. The rest of the LPs I picked up weren't what I was looking for (the Sgt. Pepper was an orange label, etc.) but she convinced me to go for the DSOTM.

The owner also told me that an ex-employee of hers opened a new store in Tucson off of 4th that I need to check out. It was mentioned in the latest Best of Tucson, but I can't remember what the name is.

Chad

Chad

11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Along with Stinkweed’s and Revolver in Phoenix you might want to check out Hoodlums in Tempe. Along with the rock stuff many look for they ususally have some nice jazz and blues vinyl also.

And if anyone around here is looking for some blues CDs they made a huge purchase of several boxes of blues just the other day.

12. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Visited Flagstaff in April to see the Grand Canyon. Stayed at a place where there was a Bookman's down the street. I think they had recently moved into this location... pretty big store with record bins along a side wall. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with the titles. I found 15 LPs that ranged in excellent to pretty decent shape. I recall paying around $70 for the stack.

Clapton, Eric Another Ticket RSO
    Clapton, Eric Backless RSO
    Clapton, Eric There's One In Every Crowd RSO
    Deep Purple Made In Japan (2LP) Warner Bros
    Dire Straits Live Alchemy (2LP) Vertigo
    Gabriel, Peter So Geffen Records
    Golden Earring No Promises - No Debts (Promo Copy) Polydor
    Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock & Roll Too Young To Die Chrysalis
    Jethro Tull Broadsword And The Beast Chrysalis
    Jethro Tull Living In The Past (2LP) Chrysalis (Green Label)
    John, Elton Tumbleweed Connection Uni
    King Crimson Beat Warner Bros
    Little Feat Waiting For Columbus (2LP) Warner Bros
    Schenker, Michael Group MSG Chrysalis
    ZZ Top Fandango Warner Bros (I have the audiophile version but wanted the original to compare to)

13. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

The last couple of times I was in that Bookmans I picked up some good records. The first time I got a deep groove RVG Stereo Blue Note A Night in Tunisia for $7. The thing is in incredible shape. I can't remember what else I bought but I got some good things fairly inexpensively. I think it was around Christmas of last year and I think they had just reopened in the remodeled location.

The next time I went, a couple months later and the prices were much increased. I picked up a NM copy of Johnny Cash Live at Folsom Prison and King Crimson Larks Tongue in Aspic. I probably paid too much for them. They had a whole bunch of King Crimson but that's the only one I got.

I think we are reaching peak record, at least here in AZ. The prices are going up and the once endless flow has turned into a trickle.

Chad

14. LordThanos1969

Hoodlums Has Gone Into Hibernation

If you want to go to Hoodlums in Tempe, you better hurry up because the owners have thrown in the towel due to "an unsuccessful lease negotiation," according to the newsletter they send out to customers. They are shutting the doors on August 15 for good.

Over the past two plus years of shopping there, I was able to find a few early pressing CDs. Unfortunately, Hoodlums seemed to be too dependent on new CDs, which filled up at least 50% of the bins. Their vinyl selection was also a bit limited. For the size of the store, there was quite a bit of wasted space. The last few times I went there they didn't seem to have too many customers, and I wondered if the end might be near.

15. mwheelerk

Oh wow! I was there the other day. I noticed the stock was down recently. I haven't seen the newsletter but the thought they might be closing crossed my mind. I have come across numerous used finds there in the past couple of years but not so much recently.

There isn't any mention on their website.

16. mwheelerk

Sadly

Sadly another great store is coming to its end. As of August 15th it looks like Hoodlums Music in Tempe is no more.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Twist and Shout in Tucson closed up shop. :(

18. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

I was wondering why Hoodlum's Jazz collection shrunk down to nothing but a hand full of records. That was about a month ago. Another one gone.

19. Grant

Looks like Amazon and ebay are soaking up used vinyl sales.

20. LordThanos1969

The last time I talked with Tom, the owner of Twist and Shout, a few months ago, he had said they would be closing up sometime this year. For the locals in Phoenix, the record show is this coming weekend on Saturday at the Italian American Club north of Glendale and 12th Street. Tom typically sells there and always has some good deals on vinyl.

21. Grant

It will be over by the time I get up there.:(

22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The Zia Records on Thunderbird in Phoenix has suddenly started rivaling Revolver in recent months for interesting collections. I figure those two stores now each get half my business each. They also finally started putting in artist bin cards, at least in their HUGE new LP section.

23. LordThanos1969

Rockzone Records in Tempe is going out of business on December 22. They have already started a 50% off sale. I can't say I am surprised. Ever since that store moved from its old location, they didn't seem to have any foot traffic. It seemed like a majority of the merchandise had been on the shelves for years, and some of it even dated back from the Rockaway Records days.

24. Grant

Bad location, hard to access...It was much better when they were last located at McClintock and Guadelupe., but I guess it was a bit too far away from the ASU campus.

I would hope that it wasn't the internet that killed their business. That's part of what took down Memory Lane on Broadway. But, what happened there is that the owner sold all his best stuff online, and overpriced everything, and he had a nice selection.

I dread having nothing but lossy iTunes left for rare vintage records that I want...if the labels ever saw fit to reissue them at all.

25. LordThanos1969

On the positive side, Eastside Records opened up again right by the ASU Campus off of University (near The Chuckbox restaurant). There are some cool records in the store, but hurry up and go before the owner decides to close down again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.