Arizona and New Mexico record stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jlc76, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I know. I need to get my ass down there, but I think forum member Wildchild said they were set to close again very soon. I always loved their selections, and they has a fast turnover of vinyl.

2. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

Stopped by Rockzone last night, for my first (and apparently last) visit. Everything was 75% off. Picked up a ton of CD's for $32, including a minty Zeppelin crop circles box set. Today is their last day, although one of the guy's working there was telling everyone he's opening his own shop nearby in a few months.

3. Grant

Dammit! I just had to schedule myself to work so I can't make it today. But, keep me posted on this guy's plans. Seems used vinyl is getting to be a healthy market up there again. Someone just needs to do a huge operation like the closed PDQ store in Tucson. Funny thing about PDQ, the records are all probably still in there with cobwebs and spiders crawling all over them, and the neon sign is still up, but the owners haven't decided what to do.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  4. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Talk to me: any good used vinyl in PHX ?
    No interest in new vinyl or CDs.
    Whats the latest, PM if you don't want to publicly post it, but I need to be diggin, as I travel :)
    C

5. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

My favorite store for used vinyl is Eastside Records in Tempe, right across the street from Arizona State University and almost next to my favorite burger joint, the Chuckbox. You should also try Zia Records (the central and west Phoenix locations are better than the east locations) and Revolver Records (they now have a second location). Bookmans has used vinyl too, but their selection is weak. Tracks in Wax used to be good, but sadly the owner died and the store was going down the drain the last time I visited. There is a new store called The Record Room you might want to visit if you are near Scottsdale.

6. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Thanks for the detailed reply I really appreciate it.

7. LordThanos1969

You are most welcome. If you need anymore particulars about a store, feel free to send a PM.

8. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

When we went there a couple years ago the owner was still alive but sick and we found some of the best records on our trip from some of his personal stash that we convinced his wife to bring up to the store. I don't get why people don't put the best stuff out in the bins (I've seen this at a few stores now) but whatever. Anyway, as I mentioned the prices were terribly high and getting her to budge was hard. She'd look things up on ebay and whatever the highest buy-it-now price was that's what she'd want. I felt bad because of her husbands situation but I didn't want to overpay. At one point we convinced her to let us go back to her house and check out the 7" collection they had for sale, based on the pristine condition and quality of the LPs we looked at we were very excited and drove to the nearest ATM and both withdrew our limit. When we got to her house she was waiting outside and told us to leave, we were like wtf you gave us directions to come here? Apparently her husband was offended that we haggled her down on the records which we got by no means for a steal (we spent at least $1k if I remember right), more like fair market value. He was mad and we could hear him yelling out the door so we left. I'm sure someone got a major score after he died, we were willing to pay a fair price for good stuff and we'd have bought a lot but oh well. Some people just don't know how to sell stuff.

9. LordThanos1969

If you are in Phoenix looking for used vinyl, don't waste your time on any of the Half Price Books stores. They have very little quality material, and if they do actually have something desirable, it is almost always very overpriced.

10. Bad Samaritan

Asylum Records at University & the 101 in Tempe (same strip mall where Rockzone was) has been open a few months now. It's a cool store, and the owner is a cool guy to chat with. He's obviously a rocker, and the inventory reflects those tastes for the most part. Lots of heavy/hair metal collectibles on display & for sale. The vinyl collection is decent sized and seems to span more genres, the CD's are almost exclusively rock & metal, but few rarities that I've seen, except for some boots.

My main problem is that I've been in 3 times since they've opened and very little merchandise is priced. So you pick out what you want and he looks up the price. Not sure what he using as a price guide, but I've been given some ridiculous quotes on items that are OOP but commonly available at reasonable going rates on ebay & amazon. Cash buyers can avoid sales tax if that's any consolation. (Owner claims all items will be priced by the "grand opening" on 7/27)

11. Bad Samaritan

Also, the new Revolver location in Tempe pales in comparison to the downtown location.

12. LordThanos1969

I will have to check it out one of these days. It couldn't be any worse than Rockzone.

13. LordThanos1969

That's what I found when I went there. They really don't have the inventory for two stores.

14. LordThanos1969

I went to Tracks in Wax recently and was pleasantly surprised to see they have improved their vinyl selection from the last time I visited.

15. Grant

It's been years since i've been to Trax in Wax. The owner pissed me off when he tried to raise the price of something that he found was in demand right before my eyes. Then, he spit-polished a record.

16. LordThanos1969

The owner passed away a year ago or so, and now his widow runs the store. I thought she was going to go out of business at first, but the store seems to have rebounded recently. Their stock on Saturday was better than what I saw at Revolver on the same day.

I also like Stinkweeds much better than I did in the past. The people that work there are probably the nicest at any record store in the greater Phoenix area. They don't have a great selection, but when they get something collectible in, they don't price it at full retail. They have a butcher cover up on the wall now for a fairly reasonable price.

17. LordThanos1969

Eastside Records in Tempe has closed up shop again, but they apparently will reopen at yet another location in a few months.

18. Grant

Sheesh!

I was able to get to Revolver in Tempe. Lots of cheap records, but nothing much that I didn't already have.

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Really. I'm in Tempe as I write and was hoping to get down there and check them out. Oh well...

20. LordThanos1969

Check out the Record Room on Scottsdale Road and Indian School Road. That is not too far from Tempe. You can also go to a Zia Records, an FYE, and Revolver Records all within a few miles of each other in Tempe.

sberger likes this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Thanks!

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Just recently opened and I haven't yet stopped by but I have heard a couple of positive recommendations from vinyl buyers.

Record High
    4242 E University
    Phoenix
    Tues-Fri 11am
    Sat 10am

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I just made my first visit to Record High this afternoon and though I am not a vinyl buyer I think this is a great little store. If you are looking for deals ($2 - $4 an album) this may not be the place but if you are looking for quality, collectible and audiophile from $8 on up (saw the MFSL Sinatra box for $685 and The Beatles MFSL vinyl box but didn't see price). Every LP has a heavy poly outer cover and the LP is in a MFSL style rice paper inner sleeve. All used except for some of the recent audiophile vinyl releases. I saw quite a few MFSL, Nautilus and Masterworks titles.

24. LordThanos1969

Thanks for the review. I have been trying to get to this store for a while.

Speaking of stores, I was over at the Bookman's on 19th and Northern today and found that almost every record in the bins was trashed.

25. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

that bookmans was my local from about 2006 to 2010. got a lot there but it did go from ok to worse every year. now when in phx i never bother with bookmans. actually i dont bother with any of them because i am more disappointed almost every time. i did get a uk spooky tooth lp in mint shape at zia last time i drove through though, that was nice, at thunderbird zia. used to live a mile from that store

LordThanos1969 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.