AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS (1956) Victor Young, long promised recording info and musician list.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS long promised recording info!

It has taken a while but for those of you who care about such things, here are the exact recording dates for the musical soundtrack of "Around The World In Eighty Days" (1956), Oscar winner BEST PICTURE and BEST MUSICAL SCORE (Victor Young). It's only taken 10 years to collect this info, gulp, so it's a long time coming but it is accurate. Ready (the three of you in the world that care)? Here you go:

RKO Pathe (...Culver City) sound stage, conducted by Victor Young:

10-11-55,
    10-19-55,
    11-7-55.

This is pre-score six channel Westrex sound recorded live on the filming stage at great expense. The scene with Passpartout dancing in front of Gilbert Roland, the Pasa Doble scene, live with full orchestra!

Now, the actual scoring was done at Chaplin Studio aka Walter Wanger Studio aka Kling Studio (later Red S. then Perry Mason CBS, then A&M, now Henson Studio), 1416 North LaBrea Blvd. , Hollywood. This was done after Gene Ruggiero's picture editing was completed (Oscar winning best editor for 80 Days) and was audio engineered by the late Fred Hynes in 6 channel 35mm fullcoat using six Neumann microphones. Fred, the inventor of the six-channel Westrex Todd-AO sound process was a great source for Jeff Joseph and I when we were doing restoration research on this film. I received this recording information personally from him.

Kling Sessions conducted by composer Victor Young:

8-20-56,
    8-21-56,
    8-22-56,
    8-23-56,
    8-24-56,
    8-27-56 (Double Session),
    8-29-56,
    9-19-56 overdubs (Choral),
    and final end title music done to completed animation on 10-5-56.

There you go. As you know, Mike Todd wanted Victor Young to do it all over again at M-G-M (he liked their studio sound better) but Young refused. In fact, the stress killed him. After his death Todd had no choice but to go ahead and release the music as is. It won the Oscar for best score.

victor-young 2.jpg victor-young-01.jpg

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

It certainly was spectacular!

SandAndGlass and longdist01 like this.
  3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Thanks for this!

longdist01 likes this.
  4. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Fascinating stuff. This is why we love this place.

kt66brooklyn and longdist01 like this.
  5. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Great stuff for we trainspotters!

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thats great information.

Also, From those sessions, Victor Youngs "Around The World" has been released on LP in True Stereo, if you like the song, its GREAT in True Stereo.

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks Steve!

Any possibility of getting Criterion involved with WB to reissue a Blu-ray Restoration of the original elements from the 30 frame/s/70 mm Todd-AO version?

kt66brooklyn and Crimson Witch like this.
  8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I have more than 1,000 film scores. Around the World was the first one I ever heard, thanks to my parents' Decca LP. I now have the expanded CD.

9. Steve Hoffman

Not a chance in living hell.

10. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I looked at the roster on the Motion Picture database and it lists a bunch of my dad's studio cronies on those sessions. However, there is a scene in the movie where they are in a café in Spain with the Jose Greco dance troupe. There is some great flamenco guitar playing and I always wondered who that was that was playing. Does anyone know?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Last part of the score to be recorded, the wonderful animated end credits music (called the "Epilogue" on the DECCA Soundtrack LP.) Recorded in four segments and blended together by Fred Hynes from four separate six channel 35mm mag fullcoats. Here is a decent six channel to two channel mix. Even could be the scratch mix I did back in 1989 though how it ended up on YouTube I have no idea.

12. Steve Hoffman

I have the session list only for the Union musicians, sadly. I would say that whoever is playing in the movie is the actual guitar player. There is a Decca LP of Jose Greco that was recorded in Spain and it lists his guitar player (from the same year, 1956). Probably that guy..

SinnerSaint and Crimson Witch like this.
  13. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Thank you for this, Steve! This has long been one of my favorite, if not my favorite, soundtracks. While I did not go into scoring, this soundtrack single handedly made me want to score for film and influenced a large part of my college curriculum choices.

kt66brooklyn and Steve Hoffman like this.
  14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

This is my favorite piece of music from this film...

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  15. Chris C

And, thank you Steve for the recording info!!!

16. Steve Hoffman

You’re welcome.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Sorry, that echo drenched mono mix gets on my nerves. Try this, a little better but not by much.

McLover, Chris C and SinnerSaint like this.
  18. No reply requested nor required:
    Literal played seven seconds of the previous 'version' on YouTube!
    "007"
    Ugh.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  19. Chris C

YES, much, much better, thank you! I literally just grabbed the first video that I found above to post, plus I do love that classic old DECCA rainbow label, even though my original pressing on LP is the old DECCA maroon colored label. Victor's score is just as adventurous, as is the visual of the movie, very perfectly executed.

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Just thought your post needed a little visual aid.

Around the World in Eighty Days

21. Steve Hoffman

Beautiful end credits, Mike Todd wanted people to sit through the credits and he made sure they damn well did.

22. Steve Hoffman

When I was tiny, my dad brought home some DECCA LP's that his cousin (who worked in the business) had given him. The 80 Days soundtrack was one of them. I must have played that thing 1,000 times. My favorite soundtrack. When Jeff Joseph and I found the original music six channel score (still at Todd-AO in 1989) I flipped. So wonderful sounding, amazing music. Love the movie as well though I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of Joe.

23. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

24. Chris C

That's a great remembrance of your father and that you've held onto something that close for all of these years because of it!

I'd certainly welcome the chance to hear that great score in "surround", if it still exists and if it does, how soon could you have it mastered and ready for all of us to enjoy, Steve?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Ah, if it was only that easy.

kt66brooklyn and Chris C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.