"Arrested Development" Thread (Other threads were archived)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nukevor, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

That was great. Justine Bateman as 'Nellie' who might be Michael's sister, but turns out to be his father's prostitute. :laugh:

Man, I really wished this show would have been picked up by Showtime or something, but from the way they wrapped everything up, it doesn't seem very likely. I miss it already, but there is hope.

'Maybe a movie'.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I know we had Justine Bateman and the series long subplot about George-Michael's crush on Maeby, and I'm all for edgy humour, but I was still kinda creeped out by Lindsay coming on to Michael and GOB coming on to Lindsay in the last episode. That seemed over the line to me.

3. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

The final episodes were written and shot before Showtime made an offer. I'm very mixed about a fourth season. It could be wiser to start a new series. The current finale is nearly perfect.

4. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

You're certain of that? "Showtime" was referenced in the "S.O.B.s" ep in the following exchange:
    Michael: Hello. Hey, so what’s going on with the fund-raiser?

George, Sr.: Well, I don’t think the Home Builders Organization is going to be supporting us.

Michael: Yeah, the HBO’s not going to want us. What do we do now?

George, Sr.: Well, I think it’s show time. I think we have to have a show during dinner.

That was broadcast on Jan. 2nd. Now, I realize it could have been filmed out of order, but I'm guessing that was written and shot prior to the Holiday break last year.

5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I agree the 4 episode arc ending the series is nearly perfect. I had a friend over and I re-watched the episodes and he watched them for the first time. he is a casual fan and has seen maybe 10 total Arrested Development episodes.

He was CRYING laughing.

The only other shows I can see that went out this well are:
    1)Larry Sanders - had a pitch perfect ending. (And Jeffrey Tambore.)
    2)Newhart (The final 30 seconds were absolutely PERFECT.)

Please note that while Seinfeld had a good ender, it was not as good as the three above. IMHO.

I'll subscribe to Showtime if AD goes there.

6. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

I think the finale was just about perfect. But I bet the writers are creative enough to make it continue and be enjoyable.

7. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

The episode was written very early after the cancellation. Hurwitz was quoted in "Variety" or the Hollywood Reporter and mentionned these lines. There was then a definite possibility that Showtime could do something but little hope about H.B.O., which turned out to be valid guesses.

The current finale solves many story lines and open a fresh possibility for a new start without the weight of too many references (something that was a real problem for newbies). They could go on under the same moniker or get rid of a few regulars (who would be special guests instead) and start a spin off.

From what I've read, it's all about budget (the cast is quite expensive) and Mitchell Hurwitz's decision. He was quite exhausted by the endless editing due to the episodes downsizing by Fox over two years, so he might prefer to start fresh with another show.

I've also found this piece on a forum. It's from USA Today:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.