Arrow - New Green Arrow TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

2. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

It's amazing how much oomph he can put behind those arrows with a youth sized re-curve bow. Into concrete even!

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I always like Oliver's short scenes with Felicity(?) the IT girl, like in tonight's episode where he wants her to analyze and trace a supposed "energy drink" but gives it to her in syringes.

Someone refresh my memory, what happened to the gir/character who was the daughter of a crime lord and wanted to punish her father. For awhile Oliver was trying to get her to see that she could accomplish her goals without killing, but she decided to reject this. I just can't remember how that plot resolved. Is she dead? In jail? Gave it all up?

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Ummm. . . I don't take this or "graphic art" as seriously as you do I guess. It's a TV comic book to me. Didn't mean to be "tarnishing" at all.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, when you're willing to forgive the elements of cheesiness in a show by excusing it as "a comic book" - even when the central elements were not present IN the comic book, that's not really playing fair, is it? I was merely pointing that out. And, it doesn't matter to me how seriously you take one form of art over another; a person who undergoes tremendous challenge in pursuit of a goal, can be depicted in any storytelling medium, but it doesn't make sense to pooh-pooh the
    medium itself for the failings of hacks that have used it.

BTW, I believe I said "graphic narrative"; "graphic art" is kind of like saying "wet water".

Now playing on http://www.arielstream.com/]Ariel Stream[/URL]: Jenna (Witts) - Katie

6. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I chuckle every time Oliver calls Thea "Speedy" in an attempt to incorporate that element from the original comic.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  7. Lonson

Whatever. It's a tv show based on comic book characters and it carries onto this medium some of the stereotypical aspects of comic book story-telling. "Pooh poohing"? I don't take either a printed comic book or comic books on tv that seriously, yes there's great potential in the form on both media, but this is just about on par for both mainstream comic books and prime time network tv, I'm not really intending to slander either.

Anyway we are approaching this with different levels of seriousness. I like the show as an escapist 4o minutes or so, put it on while not paying full attention. Works for me.

8. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Anyone notice that last week's ep included two Battlestar Galactica alum: James Callis & Rekha Sharma ?

9. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Just discovered this show recently and like it, looking forward to it actually.
    I read the comic as a kid.

10. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

They've really upped the "this is a comic book" aspect of the show in Season 2 so far.

11. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Meaning ? Is that a good thing ?

12. nbakid2000

It's not good or bad. It's just an observation. I can't really complain about it because it is based on a comic book.

13. Lonson

Well, I was right about the big Canary reveal, I had guessed that last week.

And now. . . Summer Glau. That's cool.

14. Lonson

Also, "Bullet" from "The Killing Season 3" is in this now. Surprised me seeing her a few episodes back.

15. pescholl

pescholl Active Member

I'm not very fond of the show. My wife likes it but as my daughter said, "Too much soap opera, not enough super hero".

16. Have you been watching the new second season? They've really refined Arrow's concept and it has had a lot more superhero action, including a couple of new heroes and supervillains. Arrow is quickly becoming a great show, week after week.

17. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Liked it the first season. Liking it even more now. The team dynamic is gelling nicely, as the Oliver/Diggle/Felicity triad balances each other well. This is so important for this kind of show. Even Detective/Officer Lance has more dimensionality this season.

18. nbakid2000

The last episode was really good but the liberal agenda they threw in regarding the gun buyback program was laughable at best.

19. agentalbert

I really liked the first season, and I watched the first episode of season 2, but CW's super intrusive pop up adds for their other shows and listing the schedule for the rest of the night right on the screen over the show just drove me nuts. Couldn't take it, so I'm out for now. I see the first season is on Netflix, and is presumably free of all that annoying junk. So I'll catch the season when its on Netflix sometime in the future. Networks really make their shows annoying to watch with all the crap they display overtop of the content.

20. Lonson

Not if you happen to be of a liberal tendency and someone who hates the super availability of guns (like me).

21. nbakid2000

Well, not to get on politics, but I didn't appreciate their agenda. Real world political idealogy has no place in this series.

22. nbakid2000

Catch it on Hulu. I do. No problems there.

23. agentalbert

I don't subscribe to Hulu, but I don't believe it can be streamed through my Oppo. And I don't like watching TV/movies on the computer.

It's okay, I'll wait. Plenty of other shows I'm following, so this coming to Netflix sometime next year (I presume) will be fine.

24. Lonson

Bullsh*t.

And besides, wasn't it a ruse?

25. nbakid2000

Except that Oliver initiated it. Not the bad guy. The bad guy just happened to go along with it because he saw an opportunity. I HIGHLY doubt they're going to touch or follow up on the repercussions/outcomes of the buyback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.