Arrow Video Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt Pepper, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I love Arrow. It's gotten to where I anticipate their upcoming-release announcements more than I do Criterion's. I think the first Arrow set I ever got was their Russ Meyer DVD box set, when it was briefly available at Amazon UK for what seemed like an irresistibly low price at the time (IIRC, around GBP35).

The only Arrow titles I really wanted but missed out on were the Borowczyk box set and the Deep Red box set, and in the case of the Boro set I wound up picking up the individual releases of the titles that were in the set. I had preordered the Deep Red box from Amazon UK but unfortunately waited a bit too long to do so, and when street date rolled around they had insufficient stock to fulfill my order. There are copies available from third-party sellers, but the asking prices are typically far more than I'm willing to pay.

3. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to get and see the Arrow BD for The Thing, it'l sure be a picture and sonic bliss with tons of interesting extras.

4. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

This might be UK specific but I dislike their tendency not to release sequels. What’s the point of buying Maniac Cop if Maniac Cop 2 isn’t available? I think, or maybe it’s just my own prejudice, that most people can live without Maniac Cop 3 but I for one couldn’t watch Part One without then watching the sequel.

Then, when they do the sequels like Hellraiser 1-3, they only release Part 1 as a standalone so you have to buy the box set for all three. It’s just puzzling. IMO. I can think of no reason why Part 2 and 3 aren’t available on their own.

Videodrome was an excellent release.

5. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I only have one title from Arrow, Cinema Paradiso special edition

6. Frangelico likes this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've been picking up all of the Arrow US releases; they've replaced Scream Factory as my favorite genre label. So many of the UK releases would be on my list as well, but other than the House and Phantasm box sets I haven't sought any out. It would be so much simpler if rights weren't spread over different companies around the world.

Regginold31 likes this.
  8. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Has anyone picked up Kill Baby Kill?
    I ask because DVD Beaver claims its region free while other places say its region B locked.
    Would rather get the Arrow version than the Kino but my player will only play region A.
    Can anyone confirm that the Arrow version can be played on region A machines?

9. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

According to several forum users at Blu-ray.com, Arrow’s release is region-free, although it appears to be by mistake, and may be limited to the first pressing only.

N.B. I have no interest in buying this title myself, at least not at the present time, so I cannot confirm the region status personally.

Jimi Bat likes this.
  10. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

This just appeared on Amazon Prime. Somebody compared it to the death by drugs movie "I Melt With You."

I Melt with You (film) - Wikipedia

I get it now.

11. La Grande Bouffe is a movie that could have only been made for the French market of its time. Made by Italian director Marco Ferrari, it consciously plays into a French mindset. It's arthouse satire.

La Grande Bouffe Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com

Claus LH likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love this:
    [​IMG]

jwoverho and Graham like this.
  13. Michael

14. Dave Garrett

Those sold out almost immediately after Arrow started taking preorders, I think on the same day. I lucked out and got a like-new copy on eBay a few months ago for about what the preorder price was. It's a really cool set but I'm not sure that I'd have been willing to pay the usual eBay prices for it if I hadn't gotten a good deal.

15. Michael

Hey! You lucky stiff! : ) nice...how much was the pre-order price?

16. Dave Garrett

I think it was $250.

17. Michael

thanks...

18. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Will the UK versions play on my Oppo UDP 203?

19. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

If you bought a modded version, you should be able to watch the UK discs. If you're uncertain, you probably can't play them. Most of the Arrow UK discs I have are region B locked.

20. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

A lot of their HD horror titles have started to appear on the iTunes stores as downloads for $9.99 each (assuming you aren't adverse to downloads)

21. I think the Rollerball is the exact same transfer done for Twilight Time.

I agree they are the best at it sometimes beating out Criterion (and vice versabut mostly Arrow wins IMHO especially with a title like The Apartment although I question their 3000 copies strategy for the retail market).

I wonder how the Arrow of Matinee compares to the Shout?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Kiko1974 likes this.
  22. If you missed Arrow's Deep Red when they released it in the UK, it's now being released in the United States. The differences are improved packaging and the loss of the Goblin soundtrack CD in the new American version. It's the same fantastic transfer and special features.

http://doblu.com/2018/03/25/deep-red-arrow-video-blu-ray-review/

23. Reading the credits of both releases,which I have, I think they are,but I think the Arrow looks better because of a better compression. I'm a huge Rollerball fan and I always watch the Arrow release. I also think Arrow's presentation is better with its double artwork, a better and more extended bookleft and more extras.
    The only Arrow release that I've seen region coded for A and B is Ronin, all the rest, or at least the ones I have are region B.

wayneklein likes this.
  24. Michael

what I find weird about this set? 2,000 Maniacs does not include the original 1:33 aspect ratio on the BD...

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I got one from Amazon.uk during a flash sale for $49. Bargain of the year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.