Art Pepper - "Intensity" PROBLEM?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blair G., Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member Thread Starter

Art Pepper - Intensity

Purchased this disc recently, finally had a chance to sit down and listen last night.
    Is it my imagination or was this recording mixed strangely ?

The drums and bass are in the right (very prominent), Art in the centre and a very muted, laid back piano in the left. The left channel is drowned out. It sounds lopsided.

All speaker wires and interconnects checked, they're OK. It's the recording.

Is this normal for this particular recording or is it possible I got a defective disc ?

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Is this the DCC disc?

3. Blair G.

Yes
    I'm not trying to say it's terrible...just kind of weird. That piano in the keft side sounds like it was recorded at a lower level than the right channel.
    The saxophone, which seems to be dead centre, is loud and clear on both sides.
    I'm pretty sure it's normal, I just wondered if others found it as odd as I did

4. J. Warren

J. Warren Senior Member

That is the way this recording must be, as I noticed the strict placement of instruments and thought it was a little strange, but I really like this disc. "Gettin' Together" is also a great one.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Heck, just the way it was recorded.

Remember, this was done live in the back storeroom of Contemporary Records, with a portable Ampex two-track deck. No chance for remixing!

At least I didn't drench it in fake echo like it says to on the tape box. Be thankful for that!!

6. J. Warren

J. Warren Senior Member

Thanks, Steve; probably a similar story with "Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders", another excellent album I listen to often. Did you see my post regarding the tape quality of "The Musings Of Miles"?

7. Steve Hoffman

All the Contemporary Studio albums were recorded that way. Love it!

What about "The Musings Of Miles"? That one had a thick rich sound, typical Van Gelder from 1955 or so. A tad too much Van Gelder spring reverb, but ya can't change history! The DCC Gold disc was a flat transfer from the full-track tape played back on an Ampex 350 octal machine.

8. Blair G.

Thanks for the feedback. I must stress, I don't find the sound quality a problem, just disorienting initially.
    I gather I should also search out "Gettin' Together".

I recently scooped a bunch of DCC Jazz titles (3 Miles, Lush Life, Saxophone Colossus and more) so maybe I've been listening to too much mono !

The Sonny Rollins disc (Sax.C) is one of the most incredible recordings I've ever heard both from a sound and musical content perspective. My new goal in life is find the other DCC Rollins CD's.

9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I really like the sound on this one. It sounds very 'intimate' and up-close. Pepper was one heck of a player...wish the world could have more!

10. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

A worthy Goal it is. Though there is some other excellent Rollins out there that Steve never got a chance to remaster. Steve's work is a great start, if you would like some other recommendations beyond that let me know and I would be happy to give you some.

11. Blair G.

notinear,

Obviously I'm looking for the three other Sonny Rollins titles Steve did.
    Sound of Sonny seems to be available here and there, the other two are a different story.
    I'm also thinking about Analogue Productiosn gold disc of Way Out West.
    Any advice on that or other Rollins titles would be appreciated.

12. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

The best version of way out west, which happens to be among my favorite's from him, is the SACD version. Even the CD layer is so close to the XRCD that exsits, that its not worth your time. Get the SACD and you will be set to go to the SACD layer in the future. Though for the completest I must mention that the XRCD has some alternative takes of some of the cut's from the album that aren't available in any other form.

Both of these cd's are part of RVG blue note remaster series. As for cd versions these are the best sounding of these albums my opinion. There are many who do not like the RVG remastered sound and I would like this thread not to turn into that. The live set just SMOKES Rand SMOKES and SMOKES, he is so on that night and we are lucky enough to have a recorded history of it and is essential Rollins.
    Sonny Rollins A Night At The Village Vanguard 2 CD
    Sonny Rollins Volume Two

Classic Records/Analog Productions Gold CD's-
    I got a good deal on these from Red Trumpet, so if you can pick them up at a good deal then I would suggest you do that. They are little bright on the top end. I haven't heard the various 24 bit Japanese import versions' of these, so i cant say they are the end of sound quality in regards to these albums. All have really good stuff on them, but his sound is definitely evolving as these albums are all frame the 60's.
    Sonny Meets Hawk
    Now's the Time
    Our man In Jazz

And, the man is alive. If you can be so lucky as to see him perform, then please by all means do so.

Also seek out the Bridge an album he released after a 3 year hiatus that is killer. and...well I'll stop for now. See which of those you like and then let us know what you like about them and how the sound is.

13. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Way Out West on SACD: THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Steve Hoffman

Wait until you hear the 45 cut we are going to do next week.

Our test cut today sounds quite lifelike!

15. Ronflugelguy

Steve, any bonus cuts on the 45?

16. Steve Hoffman

Heck, we can barely get the albums on four sides the way they were released!

17. Ronflugelguy

BUMMER, I'd love to hear that alternate of "I'm An Old Cowhand" at 45RPM!!!!!!!!!

18. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

You know your a crueeeel man Steve.. was going to pass on this, now i am not. Thanks, no really.

19. Ronflugelguy

I think I'm hooked too!

20. Ronflugelguy

Hey Steve, how long til Art Pepper Meets the rhythm Section gets mastered? Another one that should really be great!

21. darkstar

darkstar New Member

an example of how shallow I am

Way out West and Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section both share the same 'problem' IMHO.

The sax in the left channel and everyone else in the right!

This drives me crazy!

Just goes to show how shallow and stupid I truly am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.