Article About Not Killing off the CD.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by weirdmikebeard, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weirdmikebeard

weirdmikebeard Forum Resident Thread Starter

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/in-defense-of-the-cd-20160204.

Hello All,

I just wanted to post this article about not killing off the CD format. I know how some of you feel about Rolling Stone magazine. I feel the writer makes some good points. Also If I could have it my way. I would allow all formats to happen. So if you wanted to buy A CD, or Vinyl, or 8-Track, or Tape. It should be available. What are your thoughts?

2. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

I buy a lot of CDs. For one thing, I love having the artifact. For another, I don't have internet at home. Nor do I want it. I can post here with my phone. But only someone who doesn't have a clue about fidelity would listen to music on their phone. Give me a pair of Klipsch Fortes any time!

3. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

The author of that article has not filled out his equipment profile. His opinion on sound quality of CDs is irrelevant. Mods, please delete this thread.

4. moops

moops Senior Member

CD somehow got blamed for the Loudness Wars and just happened to be closest to the curb when someone had to get pushed under the bus because of it.
    It wasn't the fault of CD that people used it to store and sell crappy sounding music.
    I'll continue to buy them for as long as I can find them.

5. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I keep hearing rumors about people being encouraged to simply dump their CD's. Maybe we need to start a thread encouraging people to, at the very least, take your CD's down to the local hippy music store and get a trade-in credit or a couple of bucks for them. It's the ecologically sound solution, you get some value out of it and MOST IMPORTANT, you keep those CD's in circulation for those of us who do still collect and listen to them. Feel free to just send them to me also. :nyah:

6. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

A well mastered CD sounds wonderful. Its not the format at fault.

stef1205, npc210, fuhrsy31 and 60 others like this.
  7. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

People just suck nowadays. Not that it's their fault.

8. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Are CDs dying in the U.K. as well?

9. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

This, this, a thousand times this!! Maybe it's just me and I'm lucky enough to live where I do but just today I exchanged a decent sized bag of CDs in good shape that I pruned from my collection at the Bull Moose store 40 minutes from my house and got $74 in store credit.

RubenH, tmtomh, ARK and 6 others like this.
  10. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Rolling Stone to me is far more relevant than Stereophile or The Absolute Sound.

I have a similar view as the author..I still have those shiny discs appearing in my mailbox via Amazon Prime.

Clanceman, Ivand, Martijn and 11 others like this.
  11. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

I hated 8-tracks. Used to fix broken tapes for friends in High school. Would be nice to have all formats available...but not feasible. I have some 7 1/2 ips speed reel to reels that sound great. No chance of those ever coming back in any commercial aspect. Have some CD's that sound better than the vinyl counterparts....but if the prices were the same between vinyl and cd I'd go with the vinyl virtually every chance. Love the 12 x 12 artwork of so many covers. There's just so much more depth of catalogue to the releases that only came out on vinyl.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Great article. As a CD lover myself, I think the industry and consumers are being too hasty in phasing out CDs. And how in the hell can anyone just throw their CDs in the garbage is beyond me.:crazy:

13. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

But people won't like me if I don't keep up with the current trends.

14. ServingTheMusic

Being liked is over-rated. :tiphat:

15. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Totally agree on both counts.

CDs did later become the whipping boy for all what is wrong in the industry with regards to music production/mastering.

Those two mags are absolute subjectivist rubbish. It's a pity that the editor of The Audio Critic has recently retired and closed the publication.

16. ServingTheMusic

Yes. And both those magazines tried their darndest to villify the CD and to make matters worse, they declared it dead 5 years ago. Uh, not.

The Audio Critic proves that a subscription based model with no advertising is unsustainable. Audiophiles complain about ad based reviewing but refuse to subsidze one with out. No ads? Prepare to pay up.

17. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

CD format is still a good format. Better than mp3 and with the artwork and liners.

18. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

The only reason The Audio Critic was folded was due to its editor retiring, but no doubt sustained through personal commitments. Yes it is difficult sustaining a publication like that which conducts rigorous reviews which includes objective tests, technical assessments and full specifications without advertising revenue and conflicted interests.

19. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

At this point: I'm okay with either CD or CDR. There are a lot of Psychic TV MP3 only releases (unless you want vinyl - which I don't), and I'm okay with buying the MP3's off Amazon, downloading them instantly, printing out the artwork and burning the CDR. I'm completely okay with that. I'm completely at peace with this miraculous time we live in. I embrace it. I love it. It's way better than the past. Way better. As long as I can burn my stuff to CDR, I'm good, I'm more than fine with that.

Lon, L.P., davers and 3 others like this.
  20. ServingTheMusic

Absolutlely true. But it had a very small circulation.

People have grown accostomed to cheap and free content.

21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Out of curiosity, roughly how many CD's were in the bag. I've found in some instances the offer was so low it was worthwhile for me to hold onto the CD in order to save the case as a replacement for any that break.

scobb, tmtomh, Devon and 3 others like this.
  22. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Actually, some of the phones today have good DACs and headphone amps. The limitation is usually the music format (such as low bitrate streaming) and mastering (loudness wars) and crappy earbuds. But load up some FLAC files (or even 320KHz MP3s) ripped from well recorded CDs or downloaded from high resolution sources, listen with decent headphones or IEMs, and you can have a pretty good music experience from the phone, even if it's not Klipsch Forte level. (Besides, if you're gonna go Klipsch, might as well go all the way and get Klipschorns.)

23. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I got scared and ran downstairs to check on my CDs. I am happy to report they are still alive.

24. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Currently loving the huge number of $4.99 or less catalog cd's on Amazon. You have to grab 'em right away though 'cause once they are gone I don't think they are ever coming back.

25. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

In my mind I'm with the OP on the fact that all formats are welcome. I still encounter people as young as 15 asking for LP's, obviously, but also cassettes as well as CD's, but how large a margin they are in the general youth I don't know. Probably not that much. But physical media other than vinyl isn't all dead yet. Personally I buy CD's and have done consistently since I was a kid, and at 15 I started buying in earnest, eventually going online by the time I was 18. Now I've got close to a thousand CD's and I wouldn't give it up for anything in the world. However, when all's been said and done, had I the time, room and money I would of course go all-vinyl if I could... But I still wouldn't physically get rid of my CD's. I could never quite grasp that...

But the article is interesting. I have encountered many people, of all ages, actually, who more or less despise the CD, despite the younger ones probably being too young to remember what it actually sounds like!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.