Article: Drake breaks Beatles record with 7 of the Top 10 songs on Billboard Hot 100 chart*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

It’s not the age of the performer but the genre and overall presentation of the music. And I would agree a 50yr old man listening to hip hop would appear silly to me.

broshfab4 likes this.
  2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

This is not about the music someone's listening, it's more about the attitude "oh look at me how cool hip and modern I am I relate to the youth so I feel young too not like these uncool old farts"

3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Some people just get 'stuck' at points in their life, that sure sounds like you with music.
    I sure hope you are way over 40 because you certainly sound it...

4. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I'm 38

colgems1966 likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Hip Hop has been around so long now that a lot of it's original artists and fans are over 50. It's no different to original Who or Rolling Stones fans still listening to My Generation or Satisfaction in the 1990s.

e.s., Gaslight, SITKOL'76 and 2 others like this.
  6. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Explain The Roots then.

Geez, at least know the subject at hand before you "go off" on it. There are hip-hop artists who don't sample too.

Ed

e.s., Man at C&A and bob60 like this.
  7. Nostaljack

Utterly false. Again, know the subject before you spew misinformation.

Ed

e.s. and bob60 like this.
  8. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

How about listening to the hip-hop I loved in the mid to late '80s when I was in my early 20s?

Those guys were all about my age and some are still making records. Where does listening to their new stuff fall on the spectrum?

The genre has evolved but the basic elements from the old days are still there, and the age of the performer doesn't change that.

Listening to a guy in his early 30s like Kendrick Lamar brilliantly carry on a tradition I've followed for 2/3 of my life doesn't feel silly to me, tbh.

e.s. and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

I can see where it feels like some posters are giving off that attitude, so I get it.

Personally I'm past the "how can you like this" or "how can you not like that" stage, so ...

10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Then you are not even middle aged yet. Why are you so negative about more recent music when you were only 30 years old when Drake releaed his first album?

Nostaljack likes this.
  11. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Because I think it's ****

DHamilton, bherbert, spondres and 2 others like this.
  12. colgems1966

What’s worse is the popularity of hip hop has diverted resources from soul music which is a much more worthwhile format. Where you actually had to create and have talent to succeed.

DHamilton and Actuarybrad like this.
  13. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Stole...a lot of things have been stolen, right?

Bemagnus likes this.
  14. colgems1966

I think My Sweet Lord was more inadvertent than an outright rip. It’s bound to happen there are only so many chords to work with.

I see that as very different from straight up lifting riffs, bass lines etc....and laying new words over them and calling it your own.

15. Black Magic Woman

It doesn’t change the fact it was stolen.

Nostaljack likes this.
  16. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I've been meaning to respond to a lot of what's been said but I really, REALLY don't like getting into pointless internet arguments. The part of your quote that I put in bold italics is where I came in. I truly don't know who Drake is. I mean I've heard the name, but I could not tell you one single fact about him, either musically or personally. Now, anyone who's ever seen any of my forum posts probably realizes that I am a Beatle Fanatic (yes, with a capitol F). Yet I've never, to my recollection, ridiculed anyone who has complained about Beatle saturation in a thread (I ignore those who claim they don't know anything about them, they're not being truthful). I have responded to questions about why I like them, where to start with them, are they worth my time, etc. But, hey, if you don't like them so be it. There have been some good responses here. Clips of his audio, personal details, etc. But there's also been a fair amount of go back under your rock type posts as well. Anyway, I'm rambling. What I really wanted to say is, I see a lot of passion for the guy here, and to those that have that...I tip my hat to you. :tiphat:

ndoheny, Spitfire and theMess like this.
  17. Nostaljack

I love Soul/R&B (clearly...LOL). Again, know the subject before you speak on it. Hip-Hop is not made by talentless hacks with nothing to say. You clearly know little, if anything. I can't imagine being content to malign a form without knowing anything about it.

Secondly, I don't know where you're getting the idea that one has stolen resources from the other. That's just fantasy.

Ed

e.s. and Man at C&A like this.
  18. colgems1966

Yes it does because it wasn’t intentional. A musician created a composition that through the combination of chords he put together resembled another song.

That’s is not the same as outright lifting music off someone else’s recording and building a new song over it and claiming you wrote it.

If you can’t see the difference I don’t know what to say to you.

19. antiqueguy19001

antiqueguy19001 Forum Resident

Trying to be cool and pretend I knew who Drake was I said, "He has came a long way since the show Drake and Josh!"

Man at C&A and Nostaljack like this.
  20. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

What’s the point in yelling Get Off My Lawn when the entire neighborhood has devolved to Lord of the Flies?

antiqueguy19001 likes this.
  21. Black Magic Woman

If you think sampling equals stealing I don’t know what to say to you. And no, George Harrison stole the song, whether you like it or not.

22. antiqueguy19001

antiqueguy19001 Forum Resident

Except My Sweet Lord was a good song...

colgems1966 likes this.
  23. Nostaljack

Not really. He didn't mean to do it. That's not really stealing.

Now Led Zeppelin. They stole frequently.

Ed

colgems1966 likes this.
  24. Black Magic Woman

I think the “problem” here is that you can’t accept rock’s glory days are over. The Beatles will always be important, no doubts, but they aren’t relevant anymore, since the 90s hip hop has been the major influence on music and just like we see the Beatles today, they’ll see Eminem, Drake, etc in 20 or 30 years.
    I don’t like hip hop or rap, just a few songs, but I respect those who do enjoy that genre. I just hope when I’m 40 I don’t get childish and annoying about the music of my generation or whatever lol.

SITKOL'76, Nostaljack and bob60 like this.
  25. Black Magic Woman

Didn’t he have to pay for the song or something like that? Didn’t he say he knew the song? I don’t care to be honest, I just wanted to point out “stealing” is a frequent act in music. I was going to mention Led Zeppelin, but since this thread has become “Beatles vs Drake” I mentioned George Harrison.

SITKOL'76 and Nostaljack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.