Article - Most Underrated Classic Rock Bands

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rancher, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i tend to agree with what was said ... but ....
    the problem is, people other than music nerds don't really rate much at all. classic radio is their zone and they will just consume it forever no matter what it plays.
    that's my experience anyhow ... and the younger generation (warning generalisation alert) will tend to go with the bump sounds their friends are into

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

That Simpsons episode was so long ago I doubt many millennials ever saw it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

WXRC does these little pre-recorded "Stories from the Deep End" bits before certain artists. They're currently running one about Mark Bolan that even talks about Desdemona, his real name and his greater success at home in the UK. Of course, then they play "Get It On." Though I did recently hear The Slider on that station as well.

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

True, but everybody who mentions GFR in print/online seems obliged to mention it. Same with the SNL thing which was probably just as long ago.

5. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Just another goofy list except for a couple. No Pretty Things, no Move, no BeBop Deluxe, and the list goes on and on.

jay.dee, Rufus rag and trumpet sounds like this.
  6. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I cannot disagree with any of the bands chosen here - but MUST disagree with the statement that Smoke on the Water "arguably isn’t even a very good song".

It's not their best song, but hold up wait a minute.:cop::cussing:

Zoot Marimba, Zeki and Frosst like this.
  7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I don’t underrate any of these. Of course, this could have been the essay of a grade 9 student that’s just getting into music.

So, hey, good job, kid!

trumpet sounds likes this.
  8. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

It's not a bad list from a rock journalism perspective.

Can't argue with The Kinks being #1 on the list. They really should be rated in the top tier of rock bands, along with the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zep etc...

9. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I like the list, but one could arguably say the author relied on the word “arguably”way too much.

As a lifelong “Rolling Stones #1” kind of guy, I’ll never think the band is getting all of the credit and respect they rightfully deserve.

keef00, Zoot Marimba and Duke Fame like this.
  10. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Great list. Nice perspective. I like it. Thanks rancher. UFO!

Rufus rag likes this.
  11. I'm not sure if underrated is the proper word to use, but I understand what the author is saying about the Rolling Stones so in some way his inclusion of them isn't a stretch. I agree 100% with his #1 pick of The Kinks. Although not on the list a case could be made for The Guess Who.

12. doity

doity Forum Resident

Yeah, the top 2 should be The Kinks and then BOC. I used to think that BOC was just another in a string of bonehead metal bands and based that on songs like “The Marshall Plan”, even though I saw them in 78’ with their laser show. I was there mainly because it was something to do. It wasn’t until later that I started buying up their back catalog that I found out that from about 1972 or whenever their first record came out till 1983 or so they were solid with album after album of great music. Not too many bands had a stretch like they had.

Tommy Jay and Zoot Marimba like this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Can you be an unknown (as in no radio hits) artist and still be "Classic"?

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Why the hell is it that when Deep Purple is pictured, it's the Tommy Bolin version? Not the first time I've seen that happen in some internet list thing.

Reminds me of the Black Sabbath page for Wikipedia - for several years the main picture of the band for the article was the Ian Gillan-led version from 1983.

Zoot Marimba and jon9091 like this.
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That’s what I was saying earlier...the irony is thick in that they were explaining the case of DP MK II being underrated, and then they show a picture of MK IV. It’s classic.

Zoot Marimba and dkmonroe like this.
  16. bono

bono Well-Known Member

I cannot understand how on earth can be "Deep Purple" No2 but I agree with the No1 of the list.

17. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

My vote for Terry Reid to be on that list

jay.dee, dkmonroe and Jim Duckworth like this.
  18. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

The list seems fine, although I think the Stones on this list is trying to stretch a point.....Seems like a super Stones fan that wants them to be bigger than the Beatles in media. I think they are if we are talking "Classic Rock", because I don't think the Beatles are "rock" in the vein of the bands listed here as "Classic Rock" bands.......The Beatles are a pop music band, the Stones to me are Rock and probably one of the biggest Classic Rock bands along with LZepp, The Who........To me the Stones would be a top 5 band in a Classic Rock list, so not sure why they are listed here, and I am not a Stones fan.

19. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Good point, but I wasn’t really criticising the list for not including unknowns as much as addressing the fact. That was my best guess as to what the “This list sucks” commenters were complaining about.

seed_drill likes this.
  20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Terry Reid is a rock band?

21. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Yeah, although I can see them being on the list as a bit of a stretch, but the article makes a good point about the how Jagger/Richards are overlooked as compared to Lennon/McCartney. I think as songwriters Jagger/Richards are definitely underrated.

Meyer and Zoot Marimba like this.
  22. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

I always thought of the 'hierarchy' of British Invasion bands in the mid 60s as being Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Animals.

Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple and Jethro Tull while starting in the late 60s really ruled the 70s.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

More so than Warren Zevon.

jay.dee and Natvecal. like this.
  24. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

No more or less than Warren Zevon is (#9) wouldn't you agree?Hence why I included Terry Reid here my friend...:)

Duke Fame likes this.
  25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Only in hindsight. In the actual mid 60's it was probably more like Beatles>DC5>Herman's Hermits>Stones

The Who didn't break until 1967 and the Yardbirds are generally regarded higher than The Animals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.