Artifact - Jared Leto’s documentary about modern music industry

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

This looks interesting. The documentary is from 2012, but premiers on cable TV this month.

Wikipedia page on "Artifact" documentary:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artifact_(film)

Variety: Jared Leto’s Music Doc to Premiere on VH1 and Palladia

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/jared-letos-music-doc-to-premiere-on-vh1-and-palladia-1201159119/

Oscar winner Jared Leto’s award-winning documentary “Artifact” will make its television premiere on VH1 and Palladia.

Produced by Leto and Emma Ludbrook, the doc follows Leto’s band, 30 Seconds to Mars, and the harsh realities of the modern music business as they overcame a legal dispute with their label and their struggles to produce their album “This Is War.”

In 2008, 30 Seconds to Mars was sued for $30 million by Virgin/EMI, the band’s parent label, for breach of contract following the group’s attempted exit from its agreement over a royalties dispute.

“I hope that artists and audiences watch this film and get a greater understanding of how things work in the music industry, because understanding is the beginning of change,” Leto said. “Inevitably, we’re all moving toward what I hope is a more transparent system.”

“Artifact” took home the 2012 Toronto festival’s People’s Choice documentary award and the Audience Award at the 22nd Gotham Independent Film Awards.

“Artifact” will be simulcast on both channels at 11 p.m. April 26. It will air on MTV channels later this summer and be available on-demand in the VH1 app.

2. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Trailer:

Jared Leto:
    "How many people have a copy of our new record?"

Fans [screaming]:
    "Yeah!"

Jared Leto:
    "And how many people stole that copy on the internet?"

Fans [screaming, same volume as before]:
    "Yeah!"

Vidiot and Rufus McDufus like this.
  3. amoergosum

Great interview >>>

4. Typical of a major corporation trying to bully a band. I feel for those bands (like XTC) who couldn't fight it and either had to sit it out or give up. Good for Leto and the band for putting this out there.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sad for Leto that he ignored his acting career for 5-6 years and tried to be a rock star. I'm baffled when talented actors do this crap.

BongRattlingBass likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A sad upbringing. Good luck to him.

7. amoergosum

I love 'Mr. Nobody' >>>

8. amoergosum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.