Artists hurt by a label change

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seed_drill, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Although maybe a coincidence, Carole King and America both switched to Capitol in the late 70's and pretty much headed into commercial oblivion afterwards.

phillyal1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Squeeze released all of one album (Play) under their Warner Brothers contract, then they were dropped. IMO, Play is one of their best efforts (in their top 3 for sure). Its sad that Warner didn't give it the promotional push it deserved.

jon9091 likes this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember hearing songs from Play constantly on the alternative rock station in Columbus in 1990 or 91, but it wasn't enough, I guess.

4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

You must have a different Planet Waves to me!!!

Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  5. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Not very lucky with record labels were Motorhead........

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

H&O's last RCA album was "Live at the Apollo". Hall's solo album was also RCA but "OY" was Arista.

As for their peak, I'd argue that hit that in 1982. Leftover tracks from "Private Eyes" kept them soaring in the first part of the year and then "H2O" left them atop the chart later in the year.

1983 was also good, as the rest of the "H2O" singles and then "Rock 'n' Soul" and its 2 new songs kept them popular.

"BBB" did well but it felt like a bit of a decline - to me, at least. It "only" had 2 top 10 singles after the prior 2 albums had 2 apiece, and it just seemed like some of the air had been let out of the balloon.

Still a big success, but I wouldn't view 1984-85 as their peak...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

They were still with RCA. The move to Arista was past peak by any measure. That's what this thread is about, no?

Matthew Tate and Farmer Mike like this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Getting dropped by MGM had drastic impact on the Velvet Underground. By the time they got picked up by Atlantic, the stresses of touring and recording Loaded led to Lou Reed just abandoning the band.

DTK and Elliottmarx like this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Wasn’t Planet Waves his first US number one album? BTF was also on Asylum (Island in Europe) and that did quite well, too.

It did feel somehow ‘wrong’ seeing Dylan on a label other than CBS/Columbia, though.

phillyal1, ohnothimagen and Chemguy like this.
  10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

Leaving Motown probably worked better for songwriters than non songwriters. If you didn't write your own material, suddenly being cut off from Motown's in house hit making machine was going to be hard to overcome.

phillyal1, DTK, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

David Geffen probably hyped it to the max, plus there was the tour with the Band.

Matthew Tate and ohnothimagen like this.
  12. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Queen in USA, after Hot Space flop, left Elektra and went to Capitol, very bad idea, 3 studio albums, and 3 failed albums in america (with also the IWTBF video ban), so in 91, they went to Hollywood Records, and in 92 started the comeback of the band in America.

ShardEnder likes this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

I was only exposed to pop music in the summer during the late 1980s. We didn't have cable at college, I hated the local pop station, KISS FM, and pretty much everyone I knew only listened to rock (not the same stuff, but not top 40, either).

During the summers, I worked with a lot of African American women who would play top 40 stations.

I'm not certain, but I don't think H&O played anything from their Arista days when I saw them a few weeks ago.

14. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

In[1977]the Temptations left Motown for Atlantic ,after three years and NO hits they scampered back to Motown and never left again.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Pat Travers. I think he would have gone on to become a big name guitarist, but after being dumped from Polydor he disappeared for a while. By the time he came back no-one knew who he was. The recent death of Peter "Mars" Cowling was a shame.

16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I wonder how much hype waas really needed? Dylan had not released a ‘proper’ new album since 1970 and he’d effectively lbeen off the road since 1966. The tour with the Band created huge momentum and the album (which is good, but not great) capitalised on that perfectly.

17. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Dionne Warwick(e) going to Warner Bros from Scepter in 1971.

With Scepter she had 38 Hot 100 entries in 9 years, more than half of which went Top 40 and 8 of which went Top 10. (But no #1s).

In her 8 years at Warners she had only two singles hit the Hot 100 and just barely at that (#84 & #79). She did finally get a #1 guesting on "Then Came You" by Spinners, on Atlantic.

She went to Arista in 1979, and promptly started having big hits again.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

While on Warners she signed Bacharach and David to produce her. They split up after the failure of Lost Horizon and she had to sue them for breach of contract.

19. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

A few B-sides? Are you kidding? Nonetheless they never recovered. Personal internal wrangles of course but also 4AD supporters were/are fiercely loyal to the label.

c-eling likes this.
  20. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

What a trainwreck that all was! The 5th Dimension managed to get a Top 40 hit from the soundtrack but then their career promptly nosedived.

21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Roy Orbison’s move to MGM coincided with him disappearing from the pop charts, although those MGM records are great IMO.

phillyal1 and J.A.W. like this.
  22. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Regarding The Everlys, the dispute was with their manager-publisher, Wesley Rose, during their second year at Warner Brothers in 1961. They mended fences around 1963/64, but the damage was already done. Not having access to the songs of Boudleaux and Felice Bryant hurt them quite a bit.

McLover and seed_drill like this.
  23. Another reason Queen suffered commercially in America after leaving Elektra was because of Capitol being investigated as part of a "payola" scandal in the mid '80s, which saw promotion for recent album The Works dropped not long after several outlets decided against playing the I Want To Break Free single - from what I can tell, this wasn't actually banned, though its video was evidently controversial enough that it had a negative impact on the band's reputation. The group might have broken down boundaries by becoming one of the first major rock acts to play in South America then later Budapest, but its decision to visit Sun City led to huge fines and even a temporary blacklisting from the UN, despite insisting the crowds were not racially segregated. Also, the band's members quite visibly donated to local causes, yet the damage was done elsewhere, and I don't think Queen ever truly recovered. On top of all this, you had Freddie Mercury's personal assistant, Paul Prenter, burning bridges through rudely turning down interview opportunities with various radio DJs on the behalf of his client. As if these lapses in judgement weren't enough, Freddie himself then thought it would be a good idea to walk on stage at the first of two nights for the Rock In Rio festival in '85 wearing similar clothes to those from the aforementioned I Want To Break Free promo clip. Considering this song had been adopted by the people of Brazil as an anthem for their oppression, it wasn't surprising that he received a large amount of hostility from the audience for such a move, quickly discarding the offending items. Despite all this, I personally never lost faith in Queen, even if their music did admittedly weaken quite a bit during the so-called synthesiser years, or at least until Freddie's AIDS diagnosis forced a period of more concentrated studio output with greater emphasis on quality again...

Matthew Tate and mtvgeneration like this.
  24. Sherman

Sherman Forum Resident

Totally agree, except for the Kinks. Love almost all the Arista stuff.

Matthew Tate and Instant Dharma like this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I didn't want a Treasure x5 or HOLVx3. I don't think leaving 4ad had anything to do with their output being any different. Yes, internal relationships were disintegrating but we probably wouldn't of had Twinlights/Otherness and the Faye Wong collaborations either. Fontana gave them a bigger budget to work with and with Ivo's 4ad on a downhill slide it may have been a good thing.
    And yes, quite a few b-sides :) The original album version of Circling Girl can be found on the Volume 15 comp
    Round is a favorite

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    black sheriff and willy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.