Artists hurt by a label change

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seed_drill, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It did sell, didn’t it. But it was more of a creative dip, I think.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You are not seriously arguing for the validity of that album are you? Released, not by the artist, but by his record label?

Seriously?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Duane Eddy when he left Jamie for RCA. His early RCA stuff was OK, then the decline set in...

4. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

War jumping to MCA seemed to stop them in their tracks

agundy likes this.
  5. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Maybe not so much due to a label switch, however, I’ve notice artists start to go down a little when they lose a sense of urgency. When they are first signed they really have to basically do what the label says...1 or two albums a year ( old days)...tour like hell...write the next album on the road ....but as they get more leverage, signing mney and only release a couple albums in 5 or 6 years, the quality dwindles. Of course not in all cases. All that in between downtime causes members to start thinking and tgen bicker with each other. Especially the members of a band that are not the main writers thus get less money. Just an observation.

bvb1123 likes this.
  6. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

Not sure if it was coincidence or not, but Joni Mitchell's move from Asylum (For The Roses through Shadows and Light) to Geffen marked the end of my favorite period of hers. She went back to Reprise after the four Geffen albums, but at the magic was gone.

I don't know if she left Asylum out of loyalty and friendship to David Geffen, the subject of Free Man in Paris, or if Asylum was unhappy with her detour into jazz with Mingus and Shadows and Light and dropped her.

utopiarun and Instant Dharma like this.
  7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

After REM, Joni was my next choice.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes, "OY" was their first Arista album, and that was "past-peak".

You claimed they peaked with "BBB" and I said I thought they peaked earlier. They were still reasonably close to the peak in 1984-85, but I think they were starting to slip...

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If setlist.fm is correct, they didn't.

Looks like they've played "Everything Your Heart Desires" sporadically over the last 20 years - kind of a surprise given that it was a #3 hit!

Matthew Tate and seed_drill like this.
  10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Debate doesn't interest me. Big Bam Boom had songs that were everywhere that year, and they got headliner status at Live Aid. Things weren't going to get much bigger for them.

Farmer Mike likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NRPS when they left Columbia, although the band was on the downfall...

phillyal1 likes this.
  12. Michael

yes, lean musical times for Neil...

13. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Certainly Prince's animus for Warner Bros. (powerful enough for him to change his name to an unpronounceable symbol and then dump albums on Warner at a frenzied pace to get out of his contract) and his transfer to Arista did not help him secure chart hits.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

I first misread this as NRBQ, and was like, um, they only made one album on Columbia!

Michael likes this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

This deal didn't help the band members
    [​IMG]
    Musically they had no Hits as compared to Apple years, even the Apple years weren't a financial gain, but artistically yes!​

16. Michael

LOL...

17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

OP states this is about suffering commercially, not artistically, through a label change, so PW is not a contender.

Mariah Carey switching from Sony to EMI would be a perfect match, though.

18. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Sam & Dave - Stax to Atlantic

Walter Sobchak likes this.
  19. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Yep, terrible story right there. Warehouse was a pretty decent effort (I think it's an under-rated album), and going by the evidence of Bob & Grant's post-Du albums, they were certainly poised for huge success if they'd stuck together & got the right producer.

In some alternate reality, Husker Du and REM are the two-pronged assault on mainstream rock between 1988 and 1992

arthurprecarious likes this.
  20. Two albums, actually. And the problem wasn't that they took a commercial dive, but that they weren't selling much better than when they were on an independent label.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  21. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

Amon Düül II -United Artists to Nova/Atlantic/ATCO (depending on the country)

22. Someone like Steve Lillywhite probably could've done great things with them.

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I thought Grant Hart's problems were the main reason they split.

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

People forget that the Everlys were just as successful at Warner's as they were at Cadence for their first couple years, racking up a third #1 hit and a half dozen top ten hits. It wasn't until about two years into the WB contract that their fortunes declined.

phillyal1 and seed_drill like this.
  25. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Not in the title, he didn’t. I’m sticking with my assertion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.