Artists that were successful in one decade but couldnt' find their musical place in the next?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Donna was all over the place in the 80s. This was one of her most successful albums of that decade and probably her strongest pop album of that decade.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

They were really successful in the 80s but became very soft.

3. Bobby Morrow

But Kokomo got to #1 here! :)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  4. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Seconding @Raunchnroll . Bands may still put out albums that their fans love, but they rarely remain in the zeitgeist for longer than that.

5. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Olivia again! Even though she had some really big hits at for the first couple of years of the 80s, she soon ran out of steam and by 1986 was pretty much floundering. I always felt the 70s was where she belonged and resonated more.

Even if you don't agree, at least you can enjoy this lovely picture from the sleeve of her Make A Move On Me single!

6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Yeah, They lost me at margarita time.

7. Bobby Morrow

Yes, massive hit, but must have knocked their fanbase on it's ****. My auntie bought that single. She didn't buy any of their 70s ones!

carrolls likes this.
  8. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Bowie in the 80's. Sure he was still good and had a few hits, but in my opinion his output in the 70's and Scary Monsters was a lot better than Let's Dance, Tonight and Never Let Me Down.

dino77 and fallbreaks like this.
  9. Not in the UK, but it got to #1 in the US, Japan and Australia.

10. Bobby Morrow

You're right! It got to #25 here. I could have sworn it got to the top! Mind you, I did used to listen to the U.S. charts and may have confused the two. Sorry about that!

11. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

While Emancipation was certed double platinum, it only needed to ship 600,000 and change because it was a triple CD/cassette. The cut-out bins were also littered with them.

Musicology? How many of those were actually "sold"? I grabbed about 10 copies from the floor on the way out of that tour.

12. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

It did over here too. :)

13. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not even artistically. Never Let Me Down is one of the greatest Pop albums of all time. :tiphat:

That album was his last great and even that couldn't save it from being forgettable. :p

14. setalpgninnpsekil

setalpgninnpsekil Forum Resident

Hey man. Say what you will, but it has some killer tracks on it. "Gett Off" is my jam. "Cream" is fantastic. The title track is a really good piece too.

nosticker and JohnnyQuest like this.
  15. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

One thing that tripped up some otherwise good albums by older acts in the 1980's was the then-current recording and production styles. Horrendous stuff. Enough to turn off fans of different ages.

Dino likes this.
  16. Meat Loaf: first huge (literally!) in the late '70s, then he struggled through the '80s, experienced a most unexpected career resurrection during the mid '90s before embarking on a seemingly endless cycle of tours showcasing a voice long past its sell-by date...

altaeria and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

"Rock and Roll Music" is from 1976.

18. Bobby Morrow

I suppose you could say Phil Collins, and for that matter Genesis, would fit into this category. Both had a fantastic 80s but a pretty dismal 90s.

altaeria likes this.
  19. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

The Bee Gees post-1979.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Herman's Hermits
    Gerry & the Pacemakers
    Dave Clark 5
    Lobo

21. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

They only released two albums in the 90's; one of which was very successful and quite good (better than Invisible Touch imo) and I think Calling All Stations was more of a failure due to the line-up change and long hiatus than a transition-into-next-decade failure. I wouldn't call it dismal, there just wasn't much to it between '93 - '96, then '98 - their reunion.

22. Bobby Morrow

Yes, I forgot We Can't Dance! I thought it was late 80s. It was a very successful album but I didn't care for it much. Far too long and self-indulgent. I have to say I much preferred Invisible Touch.

23. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I think they're both so close to each other that different people have their preferences. To me, We Can't Dance was a great swan song, with elements of their entire career. Great pop and great longer prog tunes (The Brazillian and Domino didn't really hit me. Perhaps I should revisit Invisible Touch sometime soon :)) I just can't stand the title song from Invisible Touch! I think it's one of the worst big hits of the 80's, and that's coming from a fan of Genesis!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Aguirre

Aguirre Member

Almost every New Wave band of the 80's

zen likes this.
  25. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

John Sebastian. One of THE songwriters in the 60s. Apart from Welcome Back...well, nothing really.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.