Artists Who Succeeded Because They Sound Like Other Artists

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slideroni, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slideroni

slideroni Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder how Gabriel felt when he heard the first Collins-led Genesis track. I would be angry, but maybe he's above that.

2. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Morrissey = Smiths Lite !

3. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Kingdom Come < Led Zeppelin.

Lenny Kravitz < Jimi Hendrix.

Pretty much every hair metal band to come out of SoCal in the early to mid-80s < Van Halen.

Sean likes this.
  4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Like I said, they continued to appear on each other's solo albums, with Collins playing drums on Gabriel's first three albums. So he must not have been too terribly upset by it.

Jarleboy, ianuaditis and slideroni like this.
  5. limoges

limoges Forum Resident

Actually, Collins only plays drums on a few tracks on Gabriel's third album. Allan Schwartzberg plays drums on the first album. Jerry Marotta plays drums on the second and on most of the third.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

William Campbell.

BryanA-HTX likes this.
  7. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

'lies' was by the knickerbockers, i.i.r.c....

cheers,
    rob

8. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

i also hear a lot of 'run for your life' in 'clarksville'- especially the guitar riff and the 'oh no-no-no' .

cheers,
    rob

9. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

The Rutles. :laugh:

slideroni and Jarleboy like this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don;t know, am i the only person on earth that finds it basically sacrilegious to speak of the monkees in the same breath as the beatles? i just find zero comparisons, seriously, zero.

the beatles were the single greatest rock and roll entity ever, and the monkees were a TV show that morphed into a band after their greatest success was behind them, and for all intents and purposes, other than their voices, they had nothing to do with musically.

and i am not try to be antagonistic here at all, i really do feel that way, the monkees did some nice stuff, but to compare them to the beatles??????? a more apt comparison might be to the archies or the kasentz-katz conglomerate.

Fullbug likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Gabriel has said that when he first saw Genesis after he left he was a bit uncomfortable seeing Phil sing "Supper's Ready," but got over it and enjoyed them the other times, particularly Phil and Chester Thompson's drumming.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Well, when you compare them to cartoons and faceless studio projects, you do come off a little antagonistic, kind of like you do in other threads where the Monkees are mentioned. And they still had success after they morphed into a band -- "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "Daydream Believer" come to mind. And with both of those songs, the main musical hook was played by a Monkee - Nesmith's guitar on PVS and Tork's piano on DB. I will agree with you, however, in that I don't hear a whole lot of Beatles in their overall sound -- a little bit here and there, but just about every rock band sounded a little like the Beatles in the late 60's.

Tristero and quakerparrot67 like this.
  13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Counting Crows - Van Morrison

14. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Meredith Brooks > Alanis Morissette

She briefly tasted success in 1997 with Blurring the Edges, a Jagged Little Pill clone. I've noticed that a lot of people mistake Bitch for an Alanis song. A few lyric websites even have it listed as one of her top songs, lol.

Say It Right likes this.
  15. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

the rockville rocket? it does sound like him. I hate to laugh at it, but one of the articles about his death was entitled: "World Without Pitney."

16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Are we talking obvious influence or outright clones? Either way, there have been plenty of these types of threads. The record companies have always sought out soundalikes, to capitalize on a popular sound of the time.

Taylor Dayne (how many times has that name been mentioned on this forum before?) was already pretty well established but channeled Tina Turner pretty well here:

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

but in reality, weren't they actually a studio project from the get-go? albeit, not faceless, more like face-everywhere. :)

i apologize for the sounding antagonistic, and please don't get me wrong, i don't "hate" the monkees, i just don't consider them a classic rock band at all. definitely not in the upper echelon of rock for sure.

when people speak of the monkees and the rock and roll hall of fame ( a tainted organization to say the least) i just cringe.

Andrew Russe likes this.
  18. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

White Lion - Van Halen.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don't hear much Hendrix in Trower's playing. Jimi was a big influence on Trower in terms of forming a trio and in terms of some of Robin's style, but Trower doesn't sound much like Hendrix to me.

20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Of course! Thank, QP!

21. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Chicago sounded like Blood, Sweat & Tears with their first bonafide top 10 hit "Make Me Smile".

Slokes likes this.
  22. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Triumvirat < Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

Triumvirat had a successful run in the US with the album Spartacus.

23. éder

éder Forum Resident

I really never thought the Stone temple pilots sounded like pearl jam..

Lightworker likes this.
  24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Contemporary Christian Music has long been marketed this way, after all, it is what it is. Many of Nichole Nordeman's songs channel her inner Amy Grant (her biggest influence) extremely well while having her own style.

25. Ral Donner, Elvisesque.
    Terry Stafford, Elvisesque.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.