Artists whose commercial potential you got 100% wrong

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Judge Judy, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of the many things that I'm bad at is identifying what's going to be popular. This extends in particular to new artists.

There will be artists who I'll hear and swear up and down will be the next big thing, only to see them die without so much as a whimper. There are also artists who I'm sure will do a complete commercial bellyflop of spectacular proportions, and they promptly become The Next Big Thing.

Nirvana was such an example. I didn't see that one coming at all.

How about you? Can you remember some examples of things that you said would never be popular, only to see them become massive? Or things you were certain would hit the bull's eye, that went directly into the toilet instead?

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

For a while in the mid to late '70s I thought jazz-rock fusion was going to be the next big thing.

junk likes this.
  3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not quite this extreme, but Terrence Trent D'arby carried a lot of hype. He had quite a bit of airplay with that one tune, along with great reviews of the album, but it didn't materialize into the great stardom that was expected. Think there was similar situation with Tevin Campbell. He had the association with Quincy Jones, but it didn't translate into a sustainable career.

dkmonroe and c-eling like this.
  4. Judge Judy

I remember that well, although my recollection is that a lot of the hype came from him personally, talking about what a genius he was. I am always happy to see self-proclaimed geniuses go down in flames.

eddiel and 24voltsdc like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Good pick on TTD. He really seemed to be a star on the rise in 1988 - 2X platinum for "Hardline", 2 top 10 singles - but went kerplunk with 1989's "Neither Fish Nor Flesh". The latter got bad reviews and barely sold in the US.

I can't remember if I owned it or not - I don't think I did. I liked "Hardline" and when I saw TTD live in 1988, he put on a HELL of a show! Looking back, it's almost inconceivable that he crashed and burned... :shake:

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

While I agree there was hype, TTD did bring the goods in 1987-88 - and the audience responded...

AlienRendel likes this.
  7. Judge Judy

I worked in a record store when "Neither Fish Nor Flesh" came out. That thing just sat there, untouched. Completely radioactive to customers.

8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

He might well have talked big. He had the voice to back it up. Thing is, TTD had plenty of allies in the press. If memory serves, it was a Stereo Review Recording of the Month, which got (drum roll, please) audiophile attention with the full page review. Plus, there was ample mainstream media attention, like USA Today. Don't really know what happened to him, other than sophomore jinx, as Oats indicated. It seemed like he was destined for the big time.

9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Not that I would have bet any money on it, but after hearing Fight Songs I thought Old '97s had a really good chance to make it big. Nearly all the songs were ultra-catchy and the singer, Rhett Miller, was a good-looking guy. But nothing happened. I guess the band's name didn't help...

10. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

In 2007, I was impressed by the 80's sounding "Orange Album" by the band Stefy. They didn't make a big enough splash, so the label dumped 'em. :cool::thumbsdow

11. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Adele
    Mumford & Sons

12. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Great choice in TTD. I loved "Hardline..." but I was one of those music buyers who just ignored his next album. There was no buzz. Nothing. It really just passed by.

Don't laugh, but I thought Wilson Phillips' were going to keep the momentum going with their second album, Shadows and Light. The first single "You Won't See Me Cry" was good, but then they lost steam...

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I was honestly surprised Black Francis didn't have better commercial fortunes when he went solo (despite the Frank Black name change).

malco49 and Fullbug like this.
  14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

So, I'm a teenager watching MTV. Suddenly, I see this woman, dressed up in a suit in a board room. Her hair is cropped short and is bright orange. There is a video screen behind her showing a missile or rocket as she is singing. This is interspersed with footage of people playing cellos in a cow pasture. The singing is weird and the music is all synthesizers as far as I can tell.

I'm thinking, "They must have run out of videos to show. I'm sure this is the last time I'm ever going to see this thing. I know they like showing videos of experimental artists, but WTF?"

I think "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" made it to number one. Needless to say, my first reaction to Eurythmics was completely off.

15. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I remember going to a bar with co workers, the tv shows a D'Arby video and one of the guys yells out "Geez, doesn't this guy ever put his shirt on?".

Madonna's "Lucky Star" video got a "pretty girl dancing in her underwear-she'll be gone in 6 months". Saw Cindy Lauper open for Kinks, she was dreadful, crowd hated her, "She's so Unusual" became a big hit.

Saw Sheryl Crow in a Tower record store, got to talk with her and got an autographed photo. Liked her but didn't think "Tuesday Night Music Club" would be so popular.

On the other hand, saw Slade on one of those late night concert shows in 1974 and wondered aloud why they weren't popular. My friends thought I was really drunk. I felt a little vindicated a decade later when Quiet Riot had a hit with a Slade song

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. GinGin

GinGin Forum Resident

Years ago I thought Madonna would quickly fade away.

Dudley Morris and spindly like this.
  17. GinGin

GinGin Forum Resident

I also thought Justin Bieber's career would have faded by now. How long were the Jonas Brothers popular?

18. serge

serge Forum Resident

when I was seeing Wilco and Son Volt in the clubs I had no idea one would become a huge band and the other still be playing the same clubs 15 years later...in fact I tended to think Jay Farrar was the better songwriter...

malco49 and IbMePdErRoIoAmL like this.
  19. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Completely underestimated the effect of the Kimberly Perry appeal and thought The Band Perry wouldn't do much,

I'm glad I missed that one.

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

You mean this guy? :cool: http://www.sanandamaitreya.com/thp/

hi_watt likes this.
  21. I thought Guns 'n' Roses were a bit too rough around the edges to make it beyond maybe midlevel stardom, and for the first year of its release sales of Appetite For Destruction backed me up. Then all of a sudden they didn't.

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I know there are some people, even on here who couldn't believe that Amy Grant would have made it to the level she has made it to commercial wise.

23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I knew that The Band Perry would be huge all along.

24. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I remember hearing how in debt to their record company Nirvana were when Nevermind came out and, upon seeing the video for "Teen Spirit", commenting that they would never make their money back. I liked it, I just didn't think it would go over with the hair metal loving public.

25. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

Metallica. For the worse as well. After And Justice For All I never dreamt they'd follow up with something as blatantly commercial as the Black Album. Didn't like it then...don't like it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.