Artists who've released everything in their vaults

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Colinjpush, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I'd say The Pogues. EVERYTHING has been released I think. More than was necessary, but not too much more.

LandHorses likes this.
  2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

At least from their 1970s heyday, there can't be many unreleased studio recordings left from either the Eagles or Steely Dan. In both cases, though, they've refused to reissue some released recordings.

3. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

The only name that quickly comes to mind (although I'm not a HUGE fan, so I really am not really sure at all):

Nick Drake

4. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Big Star with the full 3rd out?
    Velvet Underground?

5. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Warren Zevon perhaps? If you factor in the expanded versions of his albums, the Anthology set and the Preludes set, quite a bit of outtakes have been released. This is just a guess, there could be material in the vaults I'm not aware of, and I am far from an expert.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  6. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing Thread Starter

I didn't necessarily mean bone-dry, but their vaults have been sifted through many times over, whether it be for Anthology, Love, the Sgt. Pepper anniversary set, Bootleg Recordings 1963, the background chatter on the menus of Beatles: Rock Band, and for various other things, like for documentary films and Paul's Liverpool Sound Collage. I just listed them in retrospect to someone like the Stones, who've never had a real 'rarities' release other than the mostly re-recorded bonus discs for Exile on Main St. and Some Girls. The Beatles have a big chunk of their vaults already out in the open, so there can't be more than like a handful more releases until there's nothing "new" left to release. That's all I meant. Speaking for myself, I'd still love to see "Carnival of Light."

7. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I mean, compared to other artists, yes the Beatles have had a lot released. But, that doesn't mean they are bone dry, or even close to it.

I mean, even with the Pepper outtakes released, we only heard a fraction of what was available. Obviously we heard the highlights, but certainly not all of it.

Colinjpush likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There are some Steely Dan outtakes floating around though.

gilbert green likes this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Bob Dylan definitely! His official 'Bootleg Series' looks great. Also Neil Young starts his deeper and nearly gapless archive stuff soon.
    But I'm not sure about the Beatles. There's still lots of stuff hidden in the vaults. Lately, as I read, Ringo is hoping for White Album and Abbey Road deluxe boxes, could be a good sign.

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I love that joke.

kwadguy, ponkine and ShardEnder like this.
  11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yeah. I've been waiting forever for these. I even went into the undeleted medley and made fake single edits of a number of the tracks to enjoy. Frustrating.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Monkees seem very close to it.

Dudley Morris and AlienRendel like this.
  13. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

For sure Nick Drake, that well has been dragged bone dry at this point.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

There is a collection floating around called "I Got Kinda Lost." Nuff said.

Beaneydave likes this.
  15. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I can't think of anyone who has but Carpenters are likely the closest to having emptied the vault.

Ed

16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Very true, and Rhino is going to release a new deluxe edition of the More of The Monkees album later this year, with a possibility of new sets for Headquarters and Pisces and maybe Changes if the master tapes can be located.

Arkay_East likes this.
  17. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing Thread Starter

The Doors surely must not have too too much to work with anymore, if the new Singles set is truly what it says it is because, and correct me if I'm wrong, weren't the Matrix tracks from the 50th anniversary set of the debut album the same ones from the 2008 Live at the Matrix 1967? I understand there are plenty of full-length concerts they can work with or perhaps they already salvaged all what could be used, but why rehash just snippets of a previously released show? I love The Doors, but c'mon!

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Jellyfish. Nothing left to release.

Their live show is beautifully recorded and highly recommended!

kwadguy, EVOLVIST and willy like this.
  19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I would probably say Lynyrd Skynyrd. I can't imagine there's too much left, save for some demos and the complete 1976 Knebworth concert. That show, I'd want remixed from the 16 track multitrack tapes, or even Tom Dowd's mix from 1987. The stuff on the Free Bird soundtrack is atrocious..

Jimijam and bigtyke66 like this.
  20. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Is there anything unreleased by Otis Redding? Probably not.

johnnybrum, Man at C&A and DTK like this.
  21. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Marc Bolan/T Rex must be very close, judging by the nature of the "previously unreleased" bits and pieces that have recently appeared.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Nah, there's still heaps. It's just not being allowed out...

23. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Like someone already said...how would we know?

I think Iron Maiden have released all the studio material and b-sides. Are there alternate takes of some songs lying around? Maybe, but nothing significant.

Minor Threat

Soundgarden

Faith No More

24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's a whole lot more from the guy who did Bump and Grind and The Slider Anthology but because Bolan's estate's in such a mess neither Edsel or Universal wants to admit this stuff even exists.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

There can't be much useable Syd Barrett material left at this point (save for some tracks, including Living Alone, from a tape that also yielded Bob Dylan Blues).

andrewskyDE and gilbert green like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.