Artists who've released everything in their vaults

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Colinjpush, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Any short-lived jazz artist. For instance, for Eric Dolphy, all that's left is a few false starts and edit pieces. And maybe not even that.

2. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Sex Pistols?

3. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Gram Parsons comes to mind.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Black Sabbath? There were a few alternate takes on the recent deluxe editions of the first 3 albums, plus one genuine "new" song in "Weevil Woman '71," but they insist that for the rest of the '70s, there are no outtakes--they only went into the studio when they had 8 or 9 songs for a full album.

Edit to add: Unless we count some of the really early stuff like "Song For Jim." I'm thinking mostly 1972-1978.

5. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

I bet there would be some outtakes or alternate versions from The Wind sessions.

ccbarr likes this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Nirvana? There's a few things circulating, like the complete Fecal Matter tape, but not much.

daveidmarx likes this.
  7. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Rush?

RangerXT and EVOLVIST like this.
  8. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Not even close.

ponkine likes this.
  9. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

Great news!!!!!!!

vince likes this.
  10. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Nope. There's LOTS more.

daveidmarx and ShardEnder like this.
  11. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

Steely Dan have released almost NOTHING from their archive. As you said, they won't even include their first single on a reissue! I imagine there are many tracks in the vaults...

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I feel like The Move has got to be close if not there.

Lostchord and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

AC/DC, Van Halen, and of course that Springsteen guy.

DTK likes this.
  14. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

The Stones haven't touched their 60s archives basically, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. There are so many great outtakes, alternative version etc.. A 4-5 CD boxed set would sell quite well I think.

Jimmy B. and DTK like this.
  15. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

True, the Andoreans have issued Dolphy and Clifford Brown practising in Dolphy's parents garage - that's got to be approaching 'everything'!

Dudley Morris and Maggie like this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They have to pay ABKCO, or the tapes are owned by ABKCO perhaps?

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

We also have the memorial barbecue ;)

18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I would like to see deluxe editions of the albums including DVD's of the homemade films that he left to his son in his estate. :D :hide:

Yankeefan01 and ccbarr like this.
  19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Van Halen hasn't released $hit from their archives. I'm of the opinion that Ed & Alex are clueless about what the fans would really want.

ianuaditis and The Slug Man like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A deluxe of Message From The Country similar to Esoteric's recent reissues would pretty much complete the job.

There are some TV appearances that didn't make it onto the recent DVD. An early French TV appearance of them playing I Can Hear The Grass Grow and Night of Fear live springs to mind along with a few from the Jeff Lynne era.

The Move - Night Of Fear French TV 1967

Lostchord likes this.
  21. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

I would think The Jam. All of their studio albums have been released as deluxe or superdeluxe editions with the 1977 five-disc box being the latest which comes out in October. Take the extra tracks from these editions, tack on the tracks from Extras, disc five from DRC, and the few tracks from About The Young Idea and there can't be much unheard material left.

22. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Beyond some live material, how much of 60's and 70's Bowie remains unissued at this point?

His stuff from 80's to 2010's is a different story. But it would seem there's not much left unheard from classic run of albums.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

There's a whole Hunky Dory album as demo/rough mix. Out there as boot.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

There's a box of VU tapes that Tony Conrad was looking after and handed over to Cale. Including a Falling Spikes session. Maybe an Upbeat TV performance

Cale has more tapes:
    There's probably another Gymnasium gig. At least the gig with Walk It and Talk It
    There's the tape of demos that was sent to the UK. Presume this is in Cale's basement. Not the same as the one on Peel Slowly And See

Two Cale piano pieces recorded at Pickwick.
    A version of Heroin at Pickwick. (now on boot)

Lou Reed found an unopened mail package with a tape of demos (made for copyright purposes). And who knows what else he had (now being catalogued).

There's the four-track tape of them playing at the Quicksilver Messenger Service gig at the Hippodrome SF July '68. Presumed lost

Was there another studio attempt at Here She Comes Now? (two recording entries listed for that song)

What has Warhol got?

25. The recent expanded reissue of The Move's first album was originally going to include all six tracks from their initial demo tape, but Roy Wood blocked the inclusion of a few songs. Also, several BBC sessions were released in a form that edited out where DJ announcements were placed over musical content, so these could potentially be released in the future (assuming high enough quality transcription discs can be located, that is). On top of all this, it's believed that a handful of ideas later completed by Roy Wood for his solo projects were recorded in full band versions, not to mention there's the material for Shazam before this was reduced down from a planned double set to a single LP...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.