Artists you have never heard one single song by:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Uh oh, I'm feeling peer pressure. :p

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'll pile on and second the recommendation for the 2-CD Fairport Convention anthology, MEET ON THE LEDGE.

After that, you're under strict orders to purchase the Richard Thompson anthologies: WATCHING THE DARK and ACTION-PACKED. Four discs of genius: he's one the greatest guitarists in rock history, and probably the most underrated, due to the lack of commercial exposure.

3. Ian

Ian Active Member

Norah Jones
    13th Floor Elevators
    Chocolate Watchband
    Curve
    Neu
    Faust
    Popul Vuh
    Sabalon Glitz
    System Of A Down
    Chrome
    Red Bank Rockers
    The Rock And Roll Trio

And a horde of others I can't think of right now

Later

4. Ian

Ian Active Member

Dick is a legend up here. He showed that you didn't have to be from Dixie to put out decent country and have a hit. Amazon has "The Drag 'Em Off The Interstate, Sock It To 'Em Hits". It's the least expensive comp with "Tombstone Every Mile" (His best known song) I could spot.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_3/002-8257038-8169624?v=glance&s=music

5. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I've said it before,you don't want to miss Richard Thompson when he comes to your town.You'll be amazed and stupified.Hopefully he'll be back in the U.S.A. this year.richardthompson-music.com

6. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

The Beatles

I thought the Dick Curless name was an obscene joke, really. I dont even know who/what Moby Grape is.

Grant- You should really check out the Norah Jones cd or the DVD. For 15 bucks for the DVD, you cant go wrong.

7. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Bear Family has put out some pretty obscure stuff, but imagine my surprise when looking thru their catalog and coming across not one, but two Dick Curless box sets--11 CDs total. That's a lot of songs by a singer I'd never heard of. Thanks for the info.

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

There are so many modern rock/techno acts I've never heard it ain't funny--you guys would have to shout their names out and I could tell you if I have or haven't; that's how out of the loop I've been. A lot of that has to do with the death of the 45rpm record: without a single--hit or miss-as a reference, I just don't have the time or inclination to hear new acts the way I used to, when it was so easy to sample them by their newest 45. Even used CD's are around $7 or $8 a pop--still a lot to shell out for the unfamiliar.

These days, my brothers or fellow forum friends--here and elsewhere--do their best to wise me up. I found out about Eva Cassidy's music only because a friend who knew I was a Marianne Faithfull fan going back to '64 thought that, since I dug her, I'd like Eva's voice, even if her music's only a reference to that pop chanteuse past(he was right: I got to like her a lot).
    It's still almost unfathomable to think she isn't with us anymore.

ED:cool:

9. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Norah Jones is the obvious answer for me. I read in this forum her album sold 2 million copies before she won 5 Grammies. I know no one who owns it. And I own Diana Krall & Patricia Barber so I have no problem with the female lounge singer act. I wouldn't know a Dixie Chicks or Garth Brooks song if I heard it.

I think the problem is I buy so much music across the internet that if the face of an artist isn't on the front page of cdnow (now amazon) I have no idea who they are.

I couldn't associate the name Britney Spears with the face until she sang at the Super Bowl half-time show a few years ago. Had to go to a friends house to see it 'cause (as I've said before) I haven't owned a TV in years.

There is a lot of music I hear coming over the sound system when I frequent the local neighborhood gin mill but can't associate the song with the artist who performs it. I'll ask someone who is this and they'll say "oh, this is Limp Bizkit" (did I spell Biscuit right). Its the only way I know whats contemporary. Happens to me a couple times a month.

Don't know who the current artists/celebrities are.

'Scuse me while I go order those Police SACD's. :D

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

At the risk of coming on like some kind of hipper-than-thou elitist, I'm frankly astonished at some of the artists mentioned in this list. There are actually people who've never heard anything by Emmylou Harris, or the Band, or Leonard Cohen, or Radiohead? :eek:

Then again, by the same token I'm always amazed when somebody blithely declares that there's "no good music being made today". In both cases I guess an overreliance on the Top 40 charts and mainstream commercial radio is the culprit.

Folks, there's a wealth of great music--old and new--out there just waiting to be found. A willingness to do a little digging can yield tremendous returns!

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I finally heard her. She's nothing to write home about.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

About the only way I really hear something new is if I hear it at work, my wife either buys it r I catch something on MTV in passing.

I actually like Justin Timberlake, a former member of one of those boy bands. Much of the music on his CD actually sounds old school. Not bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.