Artists you love with quirks you hate

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by snipe, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snipe

snipe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love me some Ray Charles. Any period. Crooner, Jazz, Instrumental, Soul, Country, whatever. What I can't stand is when he says / yells "listen" and "wait a minute" seemingly twice per song. I've had a few of his box sets on rotation in the car lately (Complete Atlantic, Complete ABC Singles) and it really brings me out of the music when he feels he needs to remind me to pay attention.
    Does anyone else have similar issues with bands they love?

ribonucleic and Max Florian like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

While I will love him to the death and beyond , I cannot stand it when McCartney pulls these "spontaneous" faces of sheer surprise in the middle of one of his stage chatter routines which you know have been planned and repeated a thousand times before.

Miriam, M321115, ndoheny and 13 others like this.
  3. snipe

snipe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I imagine between song banter can get tedious on a long tour. The bands really aren't expecting anyone to see more than one, maybe two shows, so I'm sure they get in a groove and just robot that stuff out. I know when I saw Motley Crue late on their The End Tour, Nikki's speech seemed a little forced / rehearsed.

DK Pete, hi_watt and ribonucleic like this.
  4. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Bernard Sumner of Joy Division/New Order, when playing live back in the early days....in between songs, he used to ALWAYS put his fingers on the guitar neck, and tentatively play the first two notes of the next song, to make sure he had his fingers right. Go back and listen to just about any old Joy Division show and listen for it, you'll hear it soon enough. Once you realize he's doing it, it is really annoying. It gives away what song is next in the set list!

5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Pete Townshend's personality just grates.

Sean, Saul Pimon, limoges and 6 others like this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Damn, I hate it when Sinatra turns a long sounding "I" into a long "e". (Strangers in the Ni-eete), but he's part of my plasma at this point.

ribonucleic, Max Florian and hi_watt like this.
  7. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

When Bob Weir says "like a Swiss watch"...:doh:

ianuaditis and Fullbug like this.
  8. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Love Tori Amos, but when she drags out notes, stays too far behind the beat, etc. while playing live, I get the feeling she’s bored with the song and trying to change it up. But it alters the melody too much for my taste.
    Tori, you may be bored but I’m not!

9. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

The obvious one for me is Morrissey. Musically, he’s the most adventurous he’s been in thirty years, but when he strays into politics (either in his lyrics, or interviews), he comes across as the sort of person I’d cross the road to avoid.

If lack of productivity counts as a quirk then I’d add John Sebastian and Green Gartside. I also wish Scott Walker would work the avant garde tendencies out of his system.

Miriam, SammyJoe, willy and 5 others like this.
  10. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

For me the obvious one I am sure is shared by many has to do with the Rolling Stones. I've always been more a Keith and Charlie fan, and a Mick Taylor fan for that period, but I do have tremendous respect for Mick Jagger's huge contributions to the group over the years to say the least. But his whole fashion world/overdone androgyny/celebrity hobnobbing thing really detracts from what the Stones I think are about. From what I gather Keith shares this view, and I would guess to some extent Charlie and Bill do, too. Perhaps not the worst example but surely a highpoint was his marriage to Bianca and all that went with it. I am not sure that is the kind of quirk the OP is asking about, but there you have it.

Fullbug and DTK like this.
  11. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Peter Gabriel taking soooooo long to make an album.

12. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

I love Doc Severinsen until he sings, or talks to the audience.

melstapler likes this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

According to Peter Hook, Barney has plenty more quirks to hate. :D

Miriam, Binni, Snow2 and 2 others like this.
  14. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Bono when he says that a new album will come soon

15. zen

zen Senior Member

It bothered me when Elvis Presley would play a final chord on his acoustic guitar (in concert), and it was always the....A11/E. Musicians joke. :D

16. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I love Captain Beefheart, but I wish he didn't squawk away on that saxophone as much as he did.
    It only works for me a few times, the rest of the time I'm trying to concentrate as much as I can on the other instruments. Haha.

17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Willie Nelson’s phrasing when he sings live.

18. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Radiohead.....it's like the drums are always electronic blips or really subdued for long time now. Where is the cool pyramid song prog type drumming?

Nirvana....the primal scream songs on in utero. Some of them are cool but when he keeps it up for scentless apprentice the entire time it grates.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  19. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

So

recordman33, Keith V, Sean and 6 others like this.
  20. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Sean, Suncola and ribonucleic like this.
  21. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Driving back today, I realised that I’d overlooked Amanda Palmer in my original list. Massachusetts Avenue came on my iPod. It’s not one of her best tracks, and it’s on probably her weakest proper album, but it made me realise what a fantastic songwriter she can be. She doesn’t even seem to have to try-it’s a near perfect 80s pastiche with incredibly incisive lyrics. Her weakness is that she seems unable to resist passé shock tactics. Sometimes it works-Girl Anachonism, Oasis (if you ignore the overly-pleased-with-themselves backing vocals)-but mostly it gets in the way of the, frequently wonderful, songs.

22. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

Axl half-ruined several songs on Use Your Illusion by holding and embellishing the final note like he was Florence Foster Jenkins.

23. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

That is some fantastic drumming on "Pyramid Song" !

Crimson jon likes this.
  24. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

David Lee Roth talks a bit too much, especially during the song. Though rehearsed, I feel uncomfortable because I always assume the bamd wants to just get on with it, as do I.
    When performing live and Ozzy Osbourne says, "Let me see your hands!"

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  25. Minstrel Boy

Minstrel Boy Forum Resident

I love Van Morrison, but I can't endure his rants about how he's been screwed by the music industry. I'm sure it's all true, but I don't want to hear you moan on about it, man!

So many excellent late-period albums of his have been marred by one. "Big Time Operators" on Too Long In Exile is the absolute worst, since it's the second track and kills all momentum.

Snow2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.