Artists you love with quirks you hate

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by snipe, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Anybody who takes y-e-a-r-s to finish an album. Come on, we're not getting any younger! Tom Scholz, Peter Gabriel, John Sykes, I'm looking at you!

Max Florian likes this.
  2. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Paul McCartney: His annoying habit of singing/scatting in the background during instrumental bits.

3. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Citing one particular example here, although it certainly cropped up in additional song performances as well:

The Supremes singing "You Keep Me Hangin' On" live often featured an animated Diana Ross, delivering each line followed by an overly-audible breath being taken. Now don't misunderstand me, I know she needed to continue her oxygen intake while performing :) but her breathing's intentionally pronounced to the point of absurdity.

It sounds akin to a loud, squeaky hiccup --- being slammed down your eustachian tubes --- at the end of every verse.

Once heard, you'll never forget the experience and, sadly, Diana, constantly sharing the catch in her throat with her audience, is an unpleasant distraction in an otherwise enjoyable, energized live performance.

Extremely odd is the distinct possibility that this less-than-endearing vocal affectation perpetrated by Miss Ross, later influenced the singing styles of Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper and countless other artists. o_O

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  4. Not a fave, just a "like" at most, but: the recently-departed Dolores O'Riordan had an annoying habit of yelping at the end of a line, like she'd stepped on a bike horn or a goose. Once you notice it, you can't unnotice it...

BurtThomasWard and Runicen like this.
  5. Jeremy Holiday

Jeremy Holiday Forum Resident

Bobby Bland - the snort

6. Yes, and by me also.

7. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

There are a host of musicians I love listening to perform - yet, if they are given a forum to talk politics - at the very least, I feel bad for many of them. On both sides of the spectrum. There's a ditch on both sides of the road.

Runicen and hi_watt like this.
  8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I can relate with a Ray Charles acolyte, Van Morrison. I love the guy and pretty well everything he does, but the "lawd have mercy!" cries that are so prevalent on his early albums have dated really badly. Luckily, he seemingly stopped doing this before his first sabbatical, so it only affects albums before Veedon Fleece.

My favorite musician is John Coltrane, but there was a brief period in 1958 (exemplified by the Standard Coltrane and Stardust albums) where in ballads he seemingly would climb up to every single note with a rapid ascending scale. It's sort of like harp playing with constant glissandi. It sounds OK but it happens on every single track from that session and it grates after a while. He had gotten out of the habit by 1959 though.

Sonny Rollins with the silly musical quotations ("Pop Goes the Weasel," "The Muffin Man," etc.).

Grant Green with beating simple phrases into the ground through constant repetition (see the Feelin' the Spirit album).

Leonard Cohen in the early days with the constant insecure short man's reminders of how many chicks he's boned (see: the liner notes to the Best Of album).

ribonucleic likes this.
  9. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I picked up the excellent R.E.M.TV multi-DVD set a year ago. It's a wonderful package full of many great performances. But I have to say I got tired of Michael Stipe yelling "C'monnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!" right before the instrumental breaks of every single performance of "Man On The Moon."

10. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

I guess we disagree here. I think that was one of the most idiotic posts I've read in a long time, lol.

"I can’t find the reference for this" ... " it’s in one of these books I have but I can’t find it" ... " so maybe I have the details wrong" ... " The story, as I remember it" ... etc. Gee, how 'bout we just make up a bunch of garbage and embellish it to suit my viewpoint shall we?

"When he comes to “Yesterday,” he is chagrined to find it credited solely to John Lennon. This ruins his day." Really? It ruined his day? Did anyone ask him if it ruined his day or does this just sound good to you and make you feel clever?

"This throws McCartney into a terror". I highly doubt it, but why ruin your cool story?

"this thing lists it as a Lennon song and that freaks the ever-loving **** out of McCartney" . Hey, I've got the Lennon fanboys on my side now, right?

That piece reads like something you'd find on TMZ or the National Enquirer. I could go on about that asinine mess of a post but have better things to do.

kch27, Moe Schmo, Binni and 1 other person like this.
  11. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I like Kid Rock's music but dislike pretty much everything he does and/or stands for.

12. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Miley's tongue yet.

ribonucleic and altaeria like this.
  13. Probably 'cause few people here "love" her.

14. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Love Bowie but find him getting the lyrics ‘wrong’ live irritating!

15. snipe

snipe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm the opposite. I don't feel it's a proper MJ song without a few SHAMONEs.
    /hee Hee HEEE

ribonucleic likes this.
  16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

To be honest, I really don’t hate it all that much. When I first heard it (in the song “Bad,” IIRC) I thought he was singing “Jam on.”

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Artists with stupid nicknames... :p

altaeria likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Not a U2 fan then?!

Max Florian likes this.
  19. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Ahh but TMZ gives you the truth more often than not.

Max Florian and Dudley Morris like this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Of course, did you read the thread title :winkgrin:

21. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

Springsteen's fake accent post-Tunnel Of Love.
    Zappa's pervasive condescension.

ribonucleic likes this.
  22. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Well written

ribonucleic and DRM like this.
  23. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

I have every Paul Simon album and go see him every time he is in the UK.. i love the guy....... but a coupla things he does live drive me nuts ..

a. he does this rather distinctive hands together and bow thing on stage,,,it has been going on since the mid-8os i think
    b. when he has guest artists on stage with him he gives them a smug-hug, with a wet grin, and an 'aren't we just the best thing' vibe... ugh .. really creepy. it occurs several times on eg the Paul Simon in Hyde Park DVD and i csn't stand it... (otherwise the music is great... i recommend y'all to buy it !).

24. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Stipe’s facial expressions when singing can be so ‘I need to draw more attention to myself’, combination of cute, naive, precious, whatever

Surly likes this.
  25. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Back in the late 70's when Bowie "cleaned up" he adopted an even more mannered set of expressions. What does that thing he does with his mouth in the "HEROES" clip mean?
    Then the new healthy David Bowie shtick of Let's Dance...oh god that insincere crap in the China Girl clip with him face to face with the female lead. Puke!
    Don't get me wrong as I'm a lifelong fan from 1971, but he came across as a totally insincere person most of the time.
    :hide:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.