Artists You Used to See Every Time They Toured - But You Stopped!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

I think you don’t go see ‘em anymore because Dave Wakeling put your behind on the no-fly list. You’ve got guts, though.

Fullbug likes this.
  2. bluejimbop

NOLA?!?!?! “You would think ... “

3. bluejimbop

One of my favorite stories to tell about my late mother was her sending me to school with a note that read “Please excuse my son from attending school yesterday. He was waiting in line for Rolling Stones tickets’
    (It was the Exile tour and no, I didn’t get tickets. Demand blew up the primitive computer system)

Johnny Wong and BlueSpeedway like this.
  4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

:laugh: fantastic!

bluejimbop likes this.
  5. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Tom Petty was a bit of an institution at Milwaukee’s Summerfest. My wife and I would see him every time they came through EXCEPT last summer... Ticket prices were high, the setlist looked a bit tired, and we’ve seen him so much, we decided to skip. We regret this in hindsight.

6. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

many bands don't tour the south or smaller cities

Austin Nashville Atlanta

As much as people like player and feeling the vibe of New Orleans most bigger acts I'm interested in don't make the jaunt.

the city leveed 17% performance tax on big shows might have something to do with it

7. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

R.E.M. From the tiny Gallery club in Manchester when they toured Murmor, it seemed that almost each album brought a larger venue.... the International, Ritz, Apollo, Arena, Old Trafford Cricket Ground. I bailed at that point. I guess it’s always the same when mega success is achieved but the audience were increasingly the “chicken in a basket” crowd - chatting through Rockville etc and just waiting to put their lighters in the air to Everybody Hurts etc with no interest at all in anything that might predate Losing My Religion. Maybe I was the problem but I’d had enough.

Jethro Tull. I love Tull but I cannot take what is left of Ian’s voice. I bought the String Quartet album a while back hoping that out of a rock setting it might be more palatable but I’m afraid that despite trying I’ve had to file the album away. As an aside, there’s an interview with Ian in the latest Classic Rock where the interviewer complements Ian on his voice holding up so well, when many of his contemporaries are really struggling. I nearly fell of my chair. (For UK readers, I could hear my inner Victor Meldrew opine “You can’t be serious!”. ). The Heavy Horses box is great though

8. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Jethro Tull - never missed a tour from '77 to '01. Finally couldn't take the shell of a voice. Even a free ticket couldn't coax me back.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Yeah, Petty's another one I bailed on. I didn't include him because I didn't see him for a decade or more straight, but I did essential stop going after 3 tours.

Or 4, if you count the 1983 show I had tickets for but got canceled! :mad:

I saw Petty in 1985, 1987 and 1989 but not again until 2010...

10. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

The possibility that Bieber may turn out to be the McCartney of his time is a risk I'm prepared to take

markbrow likes this.
  11. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Gordon Lightfoot
    I still enjoy his music, but his current voice is very frail.

12. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The stones and Springsteen by 1981 had seen stones 5 time Springsteen 3 I was done seeing them live . Was bored at each of their last shows after first couple of numbers

13. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

R.E.M. from the Monste tour until their last with Accelerate. I wish I was older so I could have seen them earlier, along with The Grateful Dead. They broke up/retired as a band in 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.