Artists you're happy with just having a compilation of

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joshua277456, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

By about 1973, they were just another record company, one that still tried to run like it was still the 60s. That's why several artists left.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup, my understanding is that Berry was putting more effort into films at that time. I wish he had stayed focused on the music, but he probably felt he had already done that and wanted to do something else. What an iconic company...just amazing what they were able to do with the limited resources they had in the 60's.

Grant likes this.
  3. Grant

Oh they had resources. Gordy was just cheap.

4. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

A couple more:
    Carly Simon
    Peter Gabrial

Grant likes this.
  5. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Yes but you need to have the 'Sunshine Superman' album (The US one), it's his masterpiece.

jonathan and timind like this.
  6. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Led Zeppelin

7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

What I would consider "singles" acts:

Gerry & The Pacemakers
    Sandy Shaw
    The Smiths
    Joy Division
    The MC5
    The Buzzcocks
    The Clash
    Pere Ubu

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Spirit
    Quicksilver
    Duran Duran
    Carly Simon
    Peter Frampton

9. jonathan

jonathan Senior Member

Thanks for the tip! When did it come out? Do you have a link for it?

10. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Some compilations I have are by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Van Halen, Guns 'n Roses, Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, George Jones, Wanda Jackson, Emmylou Harris, Alice in Chains, Carl Perkins, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams, Moe Bandy, Buck Owens, Heart... I have others, but those are some right off the top of my head...

12. jonathan

jonathan Senior Member

13. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

Bingo! And lo and behold I found their vinyl greatest hits comp for a buck the other day. My REO collection is officially complete :)

14. Grant

Backstreet Boys
    Britney Spears
    Carpenters
    The Tubes
    The Supremes
    Journey
    REO Speedwagon
    Barry White
    Duran Duran
    Blood, Sweat & Tears
    Bread
    James Brown
    Cream
    The Knack

15. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Grant,
    Would that "one" JB be "Star Time"?!?! :eek:

In fact, i nearly neED too know every "1" that you ['Mr. Music' that you are] would be "happy" w/!!!
    [no need too reply too all that tho!]

16. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Same here. But that's never stopped me before (taken from my iTunes, some I own the CD, other times I've just borrowed from the library and cherry-picked the tracks I like). So...

Abba, Air, Alice Cooper, Allman Brothers, Asia, Bangles, Barclay James Harvest, The Beat, Chuck Berry, The Bible, Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, James Brown, Jackson Browne, Dave Brubeck, Solomon Burke, Glen Campbell, Carpenters, Eva Cassidy, CCS, Clannad, Eric Clapton, The Clash, Leonard Cohen, Judy Collins, Phil Collins, Elvis Costello, Country Joe and the Fish, Crowded House, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Dire Straits, Don Henley, Ludovico Einaudi, Electric Light Orchestra, Eminem, Enya, Family, Flying Burrito Bros, Aretha Franklin, Gallagher and Lyle, Gentle Giant, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Grin, Nils Lofgren, Arlo Guthrie, Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel, Jet Harris and Tony Meehan, Hawkwind, Michael Hedges, Hot Tuna, Icehouse, Natalie Imbruglia, Joe Jackson, Michael Jackson, Jacksons, Jethro Tull, Billy Joel, Grace Jones, Spike Jones, Kinks, Leo Kottke, k.d. lang, Cyndi Lauper, Lindisfarne, Julie London, M, Madness, Madonna, Mamas and the Papas, Henry Mancini, Manfred Mann/Earth Band, Bob Marley and , John Martyn, Richard Marx, Melanie, Glenn Miller, Steve Miller, Mrs Miller, Theolonius Monk, Moody Blues, Mott the Hoople, Mr Mister, New Riders of the Purple Sage, NWA, Michael Nyman, Alexander O'Neal, The Outlaws, Robert Palmer, Graham Parker, Parliament, Dolly Parton, Penguin Café Orchestra, Pet Shop Boys, Pilot, Pointer Sisters, Prelude, Elvis Presley, Procul Harum, Otis Redding, Dan Reed Network, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers, Rinocerose, Minnie Riperton, Smokey Robinson, Rodriguez, Rolling Stones, Roxy Music, Sade, The Shadows, Michelle Shocked, Slade, Spandau Ballet, Sparks, Dusty Springfield, Cat Stevens, Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin, Strawbs, Talk Talk, Tangerine Dream, Tears for Fears, Thin Lizzy, Toto, Judie Tzuke, Underworld, Suzanne Vega, The Waterboys, Weather Report, Bob Welch, Wilson Phillips, Robert Wyatt, Paul Young, Zombies, ZZ Top.

17. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

After all those great times, over several decades, this is what the scene has been reduced to...

[​IMG]

18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

They actually have some pretty remarkable deep cuts like "Heavy Church", "Fire Eater" "Play Children Play", "On the Way Back Home", and the first recording of Elton John's "Lady Samantha", but if you only have one of their albums,it should be a comp.

19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Abba had some great deep cuts. The Album is one of their best with some progressive touches on " Eagle" and the closing 3-song suite. Abba Gold is inexplicably missing 2 hits ("Honey Honey" and "I Do x 5").

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  20. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Dave Clark 5
    Little River Band
    Journey

21. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

right now, I only have 4 artists that I only have a compilation by: Donovan, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, The Four Seasons.

In the future, I could see myself getting compilations by more "recent" artists like:
    Lady Gaga
    The Killers
    Kelly Clarkson
    Paramore

At some point, I'll also probably go for older artists, like The Beach Boys, Elton John.

But with all of these artists, a compilation might not quite be enough. Maybe I'll download a few songs that aren't on a compilation because they aren't famous, or because of some technical reason, but they hold a special interest to me. There is also the problem of what versions appear on compilations. Best Of Bowie has a good tracklist for the amount of interest I have, but I'd probably rebuild it using the full length versions over the single edits.

Which then leads to the point where, for an artist that I don't want to own all their albums or even any one album, I could always just build my own compilation to fit my needs, via iTunes. For example, Ashlee Simpson. First of all, she doesn't even have a compilation album, but even so, there are only five songs of hers that I like (actually, that's even stretching it, but if was to build my own little set, I'd include all 5.)

As it stands though, if there is an artist I'm not willing to dive headfirst and get every last millisecond of material by, I usually just stick to listening to them on youtube. I actually wrote lists in high school of all the songs I would download, and maybe one day I'll pull them out.

22. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

For me, I'm happy just w/compilations/greatest hits for these artists:

The Guess Who
    The Hollies (although here I want to rectify this and get more albums)
    Buffalo Springfield (ditto)
    The Zombies (ditto)

23. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Doobies, Marshall Tucker, Spirit, Animals, Hendrix, Steely Dan except the Aja lp, Berry, Everly's, Holly, Drifters, Martha and the V's, Jerry Lee, Fats D, Donovan, Rascals

24. Grant

I never thought they'd do it.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  25. I'm perfectly happy with nothing but a compilation by the following artists:

The Louvin Brothers
    Porter Wagoner & Dolly Parton
    Jim & Jesse

But my compilation is the Bear Family box set. :D

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.