Artists You're "Supposed To Be Into" But Just Don't Care About That Much

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Waves Crashing, Mar 10, 2018.

1. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I like a fair bit of 70s prog, but I’m really not keen on ELP...

2. Tony F.

Tony F. Forum Resident

What I find so interesting about this thread is there are so many reasons why a person might not like a particular artist / album. The reasons themselves, often not explained or considered, are pretty cool. Such examples include:

- you associate bad memories with a certain song, album or artist
    - you knew someone who liked a particular artist and you really disliked that person
    - you have no clue why a certain sound makes you cringe
    - you don't like the 'scene' they're associated with
    - the image of the band affects your perception
    - you hate wind instruments

... and on and on.

Obviously you can flip each one of these reasons around and come up with reasons why you DO like a particular artist / album. It's just all very interesting to me.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

POB and parts of Imagine and parts of Band On The Run are the only Beatle solo albums I rate. I like the rawness. The rest sounds like disinterested ramblings by bored millionaires, especially Harrison's output.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Sinatra bores me to tears.

Earscape likes this.
  5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Heartland? Brother, Petty is from my neck of the woods: The Panhandle.

(I agree with you about the other two tho').

The Slug Man likes this.
  6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I wish people would believe me when I say I have no interest in The Cure.

Runner-up: Yo La Tengo.

I don’t hate either band, they’re just…inconsequential to me.

7. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Zep.

I think they got so much airplay when I was younger... I never felt the need to own any albums of theirs.

They sound great when I hear them on the radio these days though...

Earscape likes this.
  8. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Steely Dan
    Rolling Stones 70s on up
    The Who 70s on up
    The Moody Blues

I don't hate any of these bands. There are songs that I very much like by each of them.
    I'm just not able to get interested in them.
    I'm indifferent.
    They're ok.

Aside from this, I've just heard too much of them. Just over played.
    Except for Moodies, only Nights In White Satin has been overplayed.
    I use to like that song too. It's a nice song, but now I wouldn't care if I never heard it again.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Earscape likes this.
  9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Seeing Arcade Fire on SNL makes me continue to wonder why I, or anyone, should like them. Pretentious sounding melange of pop, folk and dance that adds up to noise to me.
    Definitely the Pixies (yet I love the Breeders, go figure)-just sounds like dissonant crap to me.
    LCD Soundsystem-they're supposed to be the future of dance music. I'll take the past.
    Velvet Underground-droning, tuneless, lifeless.
    Kanye West-I don't like hip-hop in general, just a personal preference.
    John Lennon-the only solo Beatle I don't like-I don't think his solo work stands up to the others.

10. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

The Clash.

11. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

The Jam
    Kate Bush
    Generation X

DTK likes this.
  12. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

I have always loved The Beatles but could never stand Led Zeppelin.Van Halen with David Lee Roth were good though.

carlwm likes this.
  13. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen honestly has the worst voice I've ever heard,he sounds like he's vomiting to a music backing.And of the many David Bowie songs that I've heard on the radio,I only think Changes,Space Oddity, and Heroes are really good songs.

Malinky and Fullbug like this.
  14. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

I'm a huge into progressive rock old and new.From King Crimson to Dream Theater and everything in between but I just can't get into Yes. I know their supposed to be one of the ground breakers but just too many happy chords.I need a minor chord in there once in awhile....Please don't hate me...

15. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

I grew up with my father being a big Bob Dylan fan and he played all of his albums, I was never that much of a fan,although I do like some of his songs,I do think he's a genius song writer though,especially lyric wise.

Vinyl_Blues and Lightworker like this.
  16. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

Sad, and they are the only music artists you don't care about.

17. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Being 50+ years old, maybe I’m supposed to be into Pink Floyd. I have a handful of albums that sort of prove I’ve tried. It just won’t happen for me. And now that I think of it, the same is true for Dusty Springfield.

18. Frankh

Frankh Lucky Man

Oh, I don't hate you. I just want to get you around a fine stereo setup, and play Gates Of Delirium for you. Better yet, into a fine set of headphones. You must spare twenty one minutes and fifty seconds of your life on this someday.

You've probably already done it. Do it again.

The happy chords occur at the beginning (actually, bucolic is a better word), and don't last long, I assure you. This piece of music has grown in stature slowly but surely over the years, the decades. It will only continue to do so. Still underrated. When finally the enormous battle sequence echoes off into Soon's sharp, immediate distance you may already be a devastated wreck. If not the beautiful, sad finale should do the trick.

If you find this helpful feel free to get back to me. Even if not. lol

19. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

In addition to never being able to stand Led Zeppelin, I only like 2 Queen songs,Killer Queen and Your My Best Friend and I don't like Van Morrison either especially his singing voice.

20. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

I totally agree with you and many other people do too,

Rate Your Music Users Who Think Led Zeppelin Are Painfully Overrated

Users who think Led Zeppelin are painfully overrated

This Band Is Everything That Is WRONG With Music, a Rate Your Music Site moderator,Benimal only says Led Zeppelin is the worst.

This Band Is Everything That Is WRONG With Music, posted by MrMungbean - Rate Your Music

I have found a lot of people on music forums who hate or don't like Led Zeppelin even some on heavy metal forums. And even some people who for some puzzling reason like their music,say they can't stand Robert Plant's awful screeching,screaming and whaling vocals.

The Boston Globe has an online article from March 2009,called I Confess I Don’t Like… written by all of their music critics and Luke O’Neil wrote that when people talk of classic bands they don’t like they’re really speaking in coded language.He said for example “I don’t like The Beatles.” is the same as saying,”I’m a liar” he said but when I say I don’t like Led Zeppelin there’s no subtext. He then says a lot of it has to do with Robert Plant’s fiendish helium-powered caterwauling. He says he tends to prefer bands with vocalists not police sirens in tight pants.He also said the lyrics which run the gamut unimaginative doggerel to too-imaginative fantasy goofs don’t help.

He then says sure they inspired a lot of great bands,but should we not then hold them accountable for the thousands of downright awful imitators they’ve inspired? Remember that whole hair metal thing in the 80’s? He says who do you think put the bustle in those dudes hedgerow? And grunge? He says that was basically goateed Led Zeppelin on Smack.

These Globe music critics don't bow before the gods of rock - Boston.com

Rock music critic John Mendelson never liked Led Zeppelin either.

Van Halen in the late 70's early-mid 80's with David Lee Roth sounded a million times better! So do the Who,The Rolling Stones,The Eagles,etc and The Beatles are a zillion times better.

In this Music discussion Most Underrated/Overrated Artists on the site Music Banter this guy Urban HatCmonger who even likes hard rock and heavy metal music said the first most overrated is Led Zeppelin and said in parenthesis, bombastic c*ck rock and nothing else. Even the cover of their first album has a phallic like huge zeppelin air craft on it that shows this, and a reviewer on Rate Your Music who gave this album only two stars,said and look at the horrible phallus cover.

Most Underrated/Overrated Artists - Music Banter

This guy Reuben Levy says Led Zeppelin aren't even the best hard rock band,The Who are and he rightfully says,The Beatles are the greatest band that ever was or will be period.

5 Reasons Why Led Zeppelin Is Totally Overrated

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  21. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

Yeah well could Prince do this,

Hunter Davies wrote in his 1968 only authorized Beatles biography,The Beatles that George Harrison at only age 13 would stay up till 2 in the morning playing his guitar until he got all of the chords exactly right and his fingers were bleeding and his nice mother stayed up with him too.

And One of The Beatles engineers Geoff Emerick says in Mark Lewisohn's excellent Beatles recording diary,The Beatles Recording Sessions that in early 1966 when The Beatles were recording John's song I'm Only Sleeping, George Harrison played backwards guitar the most difficult way possible even though he could have taken an easy way,and it took him 6 hours just to do the guitar overdubs! He then made it doubly difficult by adding even more distorted guitars and Geoff says this was all George's idea and that he did all of the playing.

Eric Clapton said in a 1992 interview when he and George were asked what they admired about each other during their Japan tour, that George is a fantastic slide guitar player. He and George were very good friends and they obviously admired and respected each others guitar playing and George played guitar on Cream's song Badge.

22. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
    Prince
    Michael Jackson (although he could dance, and inspired millions)

23. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

The Clash
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Kinks

24. Topaz

Topaz Forum Resident

For all of you saying The Beatles,

Keno who runs The Rolling Stones,John Lennon and Classic Rock n Roll site says in his great 2017 review of The Beatles first album Please Please Me,that they were different from any other bands and music artists before them because they wrote,sang and played their own songs and before them music groups had professional song writers writing songs for them,he said John and Paul not only wrote great songs on Please Please Me,but that John and Paul were both great lead singers who couldn't be beat at the time,and that they were on their way to becoming the greatest rock and roll band ever.

He also said that the album had rock and pop songs and that it starts with Paul's I Saw Her Standing There which he calls pure rock and roll,and he said John's vocal on Twist And Shout,(which John sang so great with a bad sore throat from a bad cold) was hard rock before any hard rock was being done.

Please Please Me, Album Review

As The Rolling Stone Album Guide said, not liking The Beatles is as perverse as not liking the sun. And Ozzy Osbourne( he's been a huge Beatles fan he was 15 when he first heard She Loves You on his transistor radio in 1963 from The Beatles early days,and he picked She Loves You as one of Rolling Stone Magazine's greatest songs of all time,and Sgt.Pepper is one of his favorite albums) said not loving The Beatles is like not loving oxygen.

And Keno says in his review of The Beatles 1967-1970 Blue Album damn The Beatles were one great group and he said in his great review of The Beatles 1962-1966 Red album, that if you don't love or at least like The Beatles and their music then you are not a true rock fan and more than likely will never ever get it.

He also says that John Lennon showed on Paul's rocker Get Back why he should have played lead guitar more often because he did such a good job of it. He also said he played a pretty good slide guitar on George's For Your Blue and he said John also played one of the first and best acid guitar parts on his great rocker Revolution.

And around 2005 a guy ignorantly called The early Beatles a boy band when discussing their early live concerts and Ken said to him,Oh hogwash!

Ozzy Osbourne has been a big Beatles fan since he was an early teenager,and he picked She Loves You as one of his favorite songs for Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest songs and Sgt.Pepper is one o his favorite albums. He says that not loving The Beatles is like not loving oxygen and he called The Beatles the greatest band to ever walk the earth.

Here Ozzy Osbourne says that he doesn't anyone will ever be as great as The Beatles and he said they were all great,even George Harrison and Ringo Starr were great.

Here is a video of Ozzy Osbourne meets Paul McCartney for the first time and they hug each other.

When Ozzy Met Paul McCartney

Here Ozzy Osbourne says that he doesn't anyone will ever be as great as The Beatles and he said they were all great,even George Harrison and Ringo Starr were great.

YouTube

Here Ozzy Osbourne says how hearing She Loves You at age 15 inspired him to go into music.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/ozzy-osbourne-beatles-moved-me-30320049.html

Here both Ozzy Osbourne and Tom Petty praise The Beatles,the early Beatles in this clip but The Beatles in general.

The Beatles - Celebrating 50 Years of Beatlemania (Tom Petty & Ozzy Osbourne - Twist & Shout Live)

25. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Outside of The Stones and Dire Straits, I have trouble with many popular British rock bands and artists. I don't know why. It's not a conscious decision.

So here goes, my four picks for artist's I'm supposed to be into but aren't:

Led Zeppelin - Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby.....blah..Robert Plant's moaning really grates on me. I still don't get what is so fantabulous about Jimmy Page, either. He's a lot of flash without much substance although I will admit to enjoying his acoustic playing. Overall Zeppelin to me is a prime inspiration for Spinal Tap.

The Beatles - I don't like their entire sound as a band. I do enjoy many of Lennon's songs but many of Paul's are cringe-inducing to my ears. Ringo should have never been allowed near a microphone and I find a lot of George's songs to be vastly overrated by Beatles fans. Really? Savoy Truffle is a great song? o_O

David Bowie - I like a handful of hits but far too many misses for me to be a fan.

The Who - While I have nothing negative to really say about them, I just have no interest. I don't like their 60's singles outside of a few, they got better in the 70's but I'm still sort of meh when I hear them.