Artists You're "Supposed To Be Into" But Just Don't Care About That Much

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Waves Crashing, Mar 10, 2018.

1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

You didn’t read my post ,he’s got ten years on me

Hermes likes this.
  2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

It's strange, but I went through all this trouble and expense to build The Beatles collection I always wanted and never had time / money for, including all the box-sets, all the blurays and DVDs, right down to dozens of oversized coffee table books, but I never listen to them. For awhile I listened to the albums in chronological order, first the mono box, then the British stereo box, then the BBC broadcasts and the rarities collections. I always got bummed out on the white album and then my enthusiasm waned up through Abbey Road. Then I went back to listening to the early stuff. Then I dropped it. I used to think of The Beatles as a life-affirming celebration listening experience, but now I'm not moved by anything I hear. I seem unable to enjoy the collection. It's really strange.

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

Beatles, Queen, the Clash.

DiabloG and Greenalishi like this.
  4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Beatles, Zep, Jethro Tull

5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

The Mars volta
    Radiohead
    Joni Mitchell
    Sonic Youth
    Rush after Signals
    Tool
    Dream Theatre
    Fates Warning
    Steve Vai
    Joe Satriani
    Ingwie after Marching out

Earscape likes this.
  6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Although I would say Jethro Tull can fit in the hard prog category as well! Minstrel in the Gallery is a heavy tune

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Those I very much respect but will never listen to:
    1. Anything solo Phil Collins
    2. Talking Heads
    3. Bruce Springsteen
    4. Prince
    5. Michael Jackson

8. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Easy, the Beatles.

DiabloG and Vaughan like this.
  9. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Pretty sure that this is actually "goateed Led Zeppelin on Smack"...

[​IMG]

Just sayin'...

D.D.

Victor Martell and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  10. Waves Crashing

Waves Crashing Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm realizing this after the fact, but my original post was basically just a list of one of my friend's favorite bands. One time we were talking about Bowie and I told him that I just wasn't a huge fan. He was like, "but his songs are all about alienation and loneliness" as if that was the core of my being. Thanks, I said.

11. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix - he’s the greatest guitar player, no doubt, but his voice is like he’s taking an eternal s***.

Joni Mitchell - her music is a substitute for valium. I respect her though.

Pink Floyd - another substitute for valium. I haven’t heard enough of them though. I’ll give them another chance.

Hermes and jonathan like this.
  12. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Funny because I love the tunes - except the lyrics sometimes. But their “mystique” and “poetic darkness” seem so fake to me. Also, Morrison is so overhyped. He was good looking, a good frontman, good singer - awful lyricist and even worse “““poet”””.

13. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Definitely the last two for me. The first...not so much.

14. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

[crickets...]

15. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That's not a goatee...

16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I know of no artists that I am "supposed to be into", nor the reason I'm supposed to be into them.

That said, if you want to blend in on this forum then it probably helps if you like The Beatles .... actually, no it doesn't. I like The Beatles, but not the endless threads about them on here. How many turds did Paul McCartney do this morning? Don't know? Oh, let's start a thread about it!
    I guess if you like Steely Dan, The Grateful Dead and Bruce Springsteen you'd be in heaven here. Personally, I don't think there's many - if any - artists that are more boring.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  17. Richard--W

I have officially stopped buying to music.
    I've also stopped listening.
    Motown cheers me up and some classical engages the intellect, but my interest is tapering off that, too.
    I'll keep up with the latest Bob Dylan releases but that's it.
    I'm going to sell a ton of music in the coming weeks.

James Bennett likes this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

How many other 'cool' things in life do you feel pressured into liking because other people do? I don't see this as an interesting starting point for a discussion about music. It's just about personal identity. I suggest that you get rid of the albums you don't like and decide what you like and why you like it. You can always come to that other stuff if you change your mind.

Blank Frank likes this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

My father never listened to music and, aside from one time I know of, never expressed any interest in it. He seemed quite content with that state of being.

What you are doing sounds liberating.

Richard--W likes this.
  20. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Maybe you need a break from them. I went through a period where their music wasn't doing much for me anymore, so I stopped listening for a long time. Then I unintentionally heard one of their songs again, and I remembered why I loved them in the first place.

As for the OP, I get where you're coming from because there's a lot of music which doesn't do much for me even though I don't think it's bad. There are very few bands/artists I can genuinely say I love. This isn't easy when everyone from the media to social media to people you know irl are always trying to push popular artists down your throat.

What comes to mind:

Radiohead
    Joni Mitchell
    Arcade Fire
    Jack White
    Kendrick Lamar
    Talking Heads
    Beyonce
    Soundgarden
    Frank Zappa
    Sonic Youth
    REM
    The Who
    Cream/Eric Clapton
    Arctic Monkeys

Richard--W likes this.
  21. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Let me guess your age. Early to mid 50s?

It happens to some of us.

I've bought exactly one CD in the last 15 months and have been selling most everything off.

Still listen to albums occasionally on Spotify.

Richard--W likes this.
  22. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

To answer on topic...Nick Drake

Earscape likes this.
  23. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Looking at my collection I should like King Crimson and Captain Beefheart

Waves Crashing likes this.
  24. Richard--W

No, 61 in a couple of months. I held on longer than you, much too long.
    Anyone as deeply involved in listening to music as I've been should be working in the profession, or reign in.
    A lifetime passes in all those hours and hours one sits applying his ears when he should be living.
    My Beatles CD / box-sets / books / videos collection is going up for sale, probably on Craigs list where I'll get the most money out of it.
    The Rolling Stones are gone already, and other stuff.

rob68 likes this.
  25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I don't know what's in your collection, but King C. and Captain B. are worlds apart in my mind. And I think this well illustrates the strange and improbable and forced connections formed by the 'if you like this then you probably also like this' idea.

What I find in band X often precludes me liking band Y. Whereas other people seem to think that X and Y are in some way equivalent in terms of musical likes and tastes.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018