ARW officially turns into YES feat Anderson Rabin Wakeman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eiricd, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think, in terms of pedigree, that ARW is more YES than Howe's current version.

To hijack the name though, that's another matter. Somehow I don't think it's going to make much difference in sales

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

In Boston they're playing a smaller place (the Orpheum) than they did last year as ARW. But they're still playing bigger places than the official Yes. The ARW band seems opposed at this point to getting on the usual package tours.

MikaelaArsenault and Lownote30 like this.
  3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

To Anderson, I doubt it's about sales. It's more likely about the fact that ARW has an original member of Yes in it. Him! I don't know how this happened, but it was totally unexpected!

4. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Finally.....a Toronto date. And the `other' Yes a month prior in Detroit with Todd Rundgren.
    I'm happy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  5. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

No chance of Long Lost Brother Of Mine in the YESfeatARW set I guess?
    :mad:
    I'm just irked that Europe is always an afterthought, that Yestival line up just wouldn't get the numbers here.

6. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Does this mean a "Union II" album is inevitable? :laugh::hide:

7. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Jon Anderson, the voice of Yes, the lyricist for Yes, the co-founder of Yes. If anyone should be able to use the name, it's him. Lawyers be damned.

Brother_Rael, keyXVII, Snow2 and 22 others like this.
  8. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

At this point, Howe is again a part time member of Asia. He has his Yes. As long as ARW pay a licensing fee for the name and make it clear in the advertising whose on the bill, he gets to collect 3 paychecks instead of 2. Within 10 years, it'll all be ancient history.

9. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

Took me a while to understand this one, intially I thought that Howe's Yes and ARW had joined forces finally... man, got to give credit for Anderson. He knows how to put a fight.

I guess that's the end of the road for Howe's Yes.

MikaelaArsenault, Scottb and DLeet like this.
  10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not really, no. He is rejoining for a Wetton tribute show. But Sam Coulson is still the fulltime guitarist in Asia, assuming they even go on.

11. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

got to believe there are major lawsuits coming..

12. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Pete Frame is gonna need a bigger page.

13. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Get serious. He's got King Crimson, Stick Men, Levin Brothers and Peter Gabriel. The only reason he was even associated with ABWH was because of Bruford.

Max Florian and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

OK, I'll "get serious". Cheers.

15. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

We shouldn't forget how Yes (mainly Squire, Howe & White) treated Jon Anderson when he was too sick to join for the 40th anniversary tour. With all respect to Chris (R.I.P.), I was annoyed when he wouldn't wait for Jon to get better and able to tour. Now, Jon holds the cards and deservedly so!

16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

That was the sticking point with 90125 Yes. They had Anderson and Squire as original members, and supposedly needed one more. Eddie Jobson was set to be announced as keyboardist, but at the last minute Tony Kaye was brought back in for that reason. Also notice that Trevor Rabin thanked Brian Lane during the induction ceremony. He was the Yes manager, working behind the scenes through all the prior legal wrangling. He could well be the one helping to drive this current state of affairs.

17. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

What I got from the article is just like Crimson Detroit has a plague or something with these guys.
    Bums me out a bit. I saw Anderson when he was here solo some time back and it was awesome and he
    packed the club. I have no doubts this show would pack a theater here just like Crimsons would.

18. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident Thread Starter

second that. I felt bad for JA when they dumped him like that back then.

what's cool though is how amazing JA still sounds at this age. cannot wait for the live dvd

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Jobson actually was announced, at least in the UK press. When they had to bring back Kaye (who'd already been in Cinema), they meant to keep Jobson, but he got mad and stomped off. By all accounts he was a bad fit from the get-go (personally that is-- who knows what would have happened musically).

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Maybe they can tour together, and Yes can open for Yes.
    Or better yet....a battle of the bands.

21. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Howe already said that isn't going to happen.

22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Howe's kind of a buzzkill!

23. My wife said she saw an ad for YES playing here in the DC-area in September, and I was quite surprised when I discovered it was ARW. I tried to explain to her that technically that wasn't YES, but that (I guess) they were using the Yes name in some advertising (i.e. "...from Yes") -- but then when I looked, I too was pretty shocked to see that was actually being billed as YES.

I don't really care what any of these incarnations of the band are called (well, I've got opinions on that, I suppose - but you know what opinions are like...). In any case, I'm kind of tempted to go catch this ARW version of Yes. The one and ONLY time I've ever heard anyone even remotely Yes-related in concert was Anderson with Jean Luc Ponty a year or two ago, also here in DC - which I really loved. Anderson's voice was fairly strong (stronger than I think I'd been expecting), and it was a lovely concert.

If anything, hearing Anderson performing those reimagined arrangements of tunes -- both the Yes and Ponty books -- really pushed my 'jazz' buttons.

JimW, Dog Ear, TGH7 and 3 others like this.
  24. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Steve Howe's biggest problem, is that he simply isn't as good a songwriter as Jon Anderson...not even close.

Whether Anderson's still got it Yes wise, remains to be seen.

My guess is, he probably has.

25. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Howe and Bruford should just tour as Yes...

ARK, altaeria, PDK and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.