ARW officially turns into YES feat Anderson Rabin Wakeman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eiricd, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Did you see them at Madison Square Garden in 2004 when the audience went nuts just before the very end of 'And you and I' and wouldn't let the band finish the song as the applause was so loud? That was probably the single best YES moment I have ever seen.

painted8, keyXVII, freemanl and 3 others like this.
  2. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Absolutely! Went with my father and uncle. That was the BEST! The applause just wouldn't stop! Then Jon brought out the Spiritual Advisor and the mood changed lol. Nice thought; but wrong venue for that!

Jerquee likes this.
  3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Did you catch the band meeting on stage trying to decide whether to play another song or end the show? It was hard to see but I think that Howe wanted to play another song so they did and anything after 11PM at Madison Square Garden goes into massive overtime pay and I think a possible fine as well. I had backstage passes for the show and when Rick came into the meet and greet area he said '"well we just played that show for free!!!". I asked Alan about having Jon's spiritual advisor come on stage and he said "Jon will be Jon". I think his spiritual advisor's name is Audrey Kitagawa or something like that. Still great show and the crowds response during that one second before Steve comes in with his acoustic was unreal. I've seen them play that over 20 times but nothing ever happened like what happened that night.

4. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Never gonna happen. Banks has never had any interest in playing anyone else's music but his own (solo and in collaboration with Genesis - where even in the rare occasions he didn't at least co-write the material, he still had a large hand in the arrangements). He is the only member of the band (the "classic 5" plus Phillips) who has done nothing outside of Genesis (other than their own "solo" albums) and also never worked in some capacity with a former Genesis member on a solo project. He's also one of the few (or only?) Genesis member to have not done at least a bit of fairly anonymous sideman studio session work for people. Phil did the most of course (probably several - if not dozens - times more often than all the others combined), but even Peter did some (he played flute on a Cat Stevens album).

So what it boils down to is that its straight up delusional to believe that Banks will ever do anything in future, other than possibly the following (in rough order of diminishing likelihood):

1 - another three man reunion Genesis tour
    2 - another classical solo album
    3 - a three man Genesis "reunion" studio album
    4 - a solo "rock" album
    5 - permanent retirement/never heard from again
    6 - a five man reunion tour with Gabriel/Hackett
    7 - a five man studio reunion album with Gabriel/Hackett
    8 - a four man reunion tour with Hackett
    9 - a four man studio reunion album with Hackett
    10 - a solo tour
    11 - tour together with Anthony Phillips
    12 - do the "We Can't Dance" walk in public ever again

footlooseman, 3Dman, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Wouldn't the point be that you're looking forward to seeing them? If you derive enjoyment from listening to them perform, that's reason enough.

If others do, that's reason enough for them. If the musicians desire to play, that's reason enough for them.

6. Shipped_It

Shipped_It Identifies as Musician

Looks like I'm spelling things out for you for the second time in a second thread. I'm not gonna do this again.

I'm looking forward to the show because I'm being taken, it's a gift, a free chance to once again see Jon and Trevor, who I love, but otherwise I would not be going because without Chris -- in either version -- I don't see the point.

You're making this tedious.

7. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Yeah we could tell Steve was pretty much at a loss for where to go/or how to end AYAI that night. He and Jon had a moment of like "what should we do"?

I have video and audio from the show too and it's even more funny to watch that moment and go over it again. Then they kind of quickly did it just as they were getting ready to go into Ritual.

I think in Yes lore that show in May 2004 at MSG is one that they didn't mind having to play for free, haha. It was that special of a show/night! I kind of wish that was the show they professionally filmed and released rather than the Lowell show/Tsongas a few nights prior. I loved that tour but that recording leaves me a little cold. Just doesn't sound right. Poorly produced?

8. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Well what happened was Steve finally gave up as the audience wouldn't stop clapping so his tech brought out his guitar for Ritual. Finally when the audience was semi-quiet Jon sang the last lines and Rick played something on the keys to back him up. The show for the Tsongas DVD I thought was the last night of the tour. Jon's voice wasn't in great shape as he was having serious asthma problems. Also at that venue Rick wasn't allowed to wear anything sparkly because they were filming it and because there A/C system went out the heat was unbearable and Ricks' MiniMoog blew out during And You and I and that had to be overdubbed for the DVD. Rick said that they should have used the Lugano show which was a great show and part of it was on the Tsongas reissue.

jmcinnis and AndyNicks like this.
  9. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

10. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

That was great but was edited. It was several minutes before Steve came over to Jon and the applause went on longer as the more Jon waved to the audience to stop the applause the louder the applause became. I was in 10th row center and it was the greatest YES moment I ever saw.

11. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Yes aren't even my most favorite-favorite band, tho likely in the top 10. But man sometimes I feel like they are the band that give off the most vibe of "touched by unearthly powers" in what they can do. And watching this makes me think, as I think of many "rock feuds"---man what is wrong with you if, within your chosen craft and art on earth, you can DO THAT in collaboration with any given other human, and you can't find it in your mind and heart to get over petty human feuds and keep DOING THAT??

painted8, keyXVII, AidanB and 7 others like this.
  12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Feel free to put me on ignore if you are offended by what I write. Your point seemed clear that you were looking forward to the show, then complained *in the same sentence* about going to it because "what's the point". You were contradicting yourself.

13. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

As human beings, it's possible to hold ambivalent feelings. This shouldn't come as any shock!

Last summer, the Howe band came to town. My plan wasn't to attend. However, a friend had tickets, and that persuaded me to go. I posted my impressions here in a couple of threads, mostly positive but not overly. Somebody blasted me for not being overly enthusiastic. Really.

Some month after, a group of us attended ARW. My comment was that it would be the last Yes anything for me. Well, the Yes/ARW group will be appearing locally, and on a Saturday evening. So, it changed my mind. Doubt that it's going to be that much better, but should still be a decent night of entertainment and a fun evening with some friends.

footlooseman and Scottb like this.
  14. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

That was just the second part of the video. For some dumb reason it's split into two videos. Here's Part 1 and the full show. I rank this show as my #2 all time Yesshow. 4th Row for Masterworks 2000 is my #1. Right in front of Steve. Amazing.

Yes 2004 New York MSG (audience recorded video)

15. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

No what I meant is the second part of the video was edited as the applause went on longer and Howe did not come over to Jon that quickly. This also might be my #2 all time Yesshow with #1 being 1978 at MSG in the round with 1st row seats.

16. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I've been a Yes fan for many years and liked many different lineups. Chris to me was the anchor, AWBH was good but Chris would have made them better. Drama is one my favorite albums from Yes, I even liked Talk. Its the classics I really appreciate like Fragile, CTTE, The Yes Album.
    I've seen Yes live many times, last time was on the first Jon Davison tour with Chris still in the band. They seemed a little tired, could have been the night. I likely won't go see either lineup but I would if the put out a good studio album and toured that album.
    There is some great talent in both bands and I wish them both well. I hope the can both exceed expectations on their tours and perhaps give us some great new music. If they don't we have had a fantastic 50 years.

17. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

Damn, they aren't playing anywhere in Los Angeles. I don't have a car at the moment... if I'm lucky I can find someone else who is driving up to one of those northern California shows and hitchhike with them.

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Anyone else starting to worry that we may never get the ARW studio album? Now they're talking about recording in Jan/Feb. of 2018...it seems every round of interviews reveals that new music is pushed back another few months. I'm worried this thing may implode before we ever hear a note of it.

AidanB likes this.
  19. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just hope the live dvd is still scheduled.

jonboy71 and AidanB like this.
  20. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Actually, apparently they don't even want to do an album and just want to release things bit by bit. Maybe it's just me, but I think that's a terrible idea.

JulesRules likes this.
  21. walrus

I think it's actually a great idea, since the time they actually have in the same room outside of touring is kind of limited. I'd rather get a couple songs, or one long piece out of this, than have them pressured into doing an entire record, then scrapping it because they can't get an hour's worth of material together. Albums are nice, but the digital era means they aren't necessary to do just to get material out.

Shak Cohen and EwaWoowa like this.
  22. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Yeah, unfortunately the entire venture has felt like a touring money-grab all along... and never really an artistic project.

23. walrus

I can almost guarantee Trevor was making more money doing film scores. I think the intention was (and still is) there to do original music, but this is Yes, and none of the three are probably easy to work with artistically, even with the best of intentions.

altaeria likes this.
  24. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I heard an interview done before the gig at Night of the Prog. They were talking about the music sounding fresh, because they have to imagine 70s Yes with Trevor and 80s Yes with Rick. It sounded like they enjoyed the tour

25. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

But Rabin-Yes in the 80's played 70's Yes music already. And Wakeman has played at least Owner (and also Magnification from 2001) on previous tours when he's reunited with Yes. So neither are foreign concepts to the lineup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.