ARW officially turns into YES feat Anderson Rabin Wakeman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eiricd, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I am happy that they are putting together a Live CD/DVD and a new album. The average set list that they show on the site looks good but rather typical, no real surprises. Perhaps adding something from Talk like The Calling or Endless Dream might shake it up.

2. There is a brand new song from Yes featuring ARW called "Fragile" here:

3. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Ugh, "use enough treble there Butch? I dunno....too many blatant nods, eye winks to previous Yes stuff. The title of the song, the repeated "touch" ala "touching" from Awaken, the little moog riffs similar to used on Awaken and I don't know what all else. At least I didn't hear "suntower" thrown in anywhere yet.

DiabloG, footlooseman and Blue Note like this.
  4. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Never really takes off does it...

5. Well, if they were going for banal and inoffensive they nailed it. :shake:

DiabloG, AndydD, Roberto899 and 2 others like this.
  6. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

As much as I support the Yes musicians carrying on as they see fit, even if in two separate camps, I can't help but think that this "Fragile" song is more appealing than anything on Heaven And Earth.

But not as immediate as anything from Fly From Here.

jammincrowe likes this.
  7. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Ah, I like it. It has that same sort of gooey marshmellow new age pop sound of HEAVEN AND EARTH, but hell I dug HEAVEN AND EARTH too, why shouldn't ARW get a chance to mine the same vein? Not enough Anderson for Yesmusic tho. (Or someone trying to fake Anderson.) ANd I'll assume someday we'll get to hear a better less trebly version, that part is nuts.

8. I think this got taped off a radio show so it's not the final audio that one would get. I enjoy it, especially Rabin's guitar solo and the interweave of vocals and Rick's parts, but on an album, it would need to be surrounded by some meatier stuff. If this is the calm bit, that's great.

9. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I
    Yeah, OK but....
    If I never, ever had heard it before, I wouldn't have miss it.

10. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

No different than Yoko Ono or Olivia Harrison having a share in the Beatles I would guess.

11. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Rabin talks about “Fragile” starting around 16 minutes in.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Shak Cohen likes this.
  12. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

It literally came from me. I was listening to Jonesy's Jukebox on KLOS when Trevor was the guest and they announced that a new song would be debuted. I recorded it off the air with Audacity and mentioned it to a Facebook ARW group. Of course I got hit up to share but I don't use any sites to upload music. After about a week I offered to send the converted-to-mp3 file to 1 person who proceeded to upload it. Then another member of the group created that video. I'm shocked that it hasn't surfaced anywhere else. Of course it's compressed by the station but the original aiff 16/44.1 file sounds better for sure (56mb vs 6.5mb). I'm feeling conflicted about sending it to anyone, but I didn't do the uploading. :shh:

13. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I've seen Yes 3 times (Tormato and Big Generator tours and 1 with Benoit David), and saw ARW a couple of years ago.
    I would see any version of the band if they came to New Orleans, which is about 2 hours from me. I wouldn't travel any further than that.

14. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I think the song Fragile is pretty good, and will likely be a lot better once it sounds normal rather than transistor radio-quality.

Shak Cohen and AidanB like this.
  15. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I envision the word “Meh” in Roger Dean font.

DiabloG, Lilainjil and Blue Note like this.
  16. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Sounds like a leftover from Heaven & Earth reworked.

Blue Note likes this.
  17. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Per the interview with Rabin, this song is an old track he had written a while ago that was suppose to be for a movie.

Not too impressed. I wish they three of them would work on new material.

RTurner likes this.
  18. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Perhaps ever-so-slightly better than Heaven and Earth. In other words, brutal.

Blue Note likes this.
  19. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Something more like 'Talk' with some heaviness - and Wakeman unleashed on synths. :edthumbs:

Shak Cohen likes this.
  20. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

I agree. Squire was the driving force behind the band having played on every single Yes album. I also wonder how Howe and Rabin get along? I don’t think Howe joining Anderson, Wakeman, and Rabin will happen given the apparent bad blood that is currently happening.

William Smart likes this.
  21. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Well....l am not overwhelmed to be honest.
    To me this sounds like any filler on any Yes album past Drama with commonly known Anderson lyrics.

22. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

I think the song is decent, certainly not overly impressive, but a good sign of what’s to come.

23. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

If "distinctive" is a euphemism for "shot," yes, absolutely "distinctive" as all get out these days.
    I wasn't suggesting that he take a solo or moonwalk across the stage. Just seemed odd that a vocalist wouldn't venture near a microphone to provide backing vocals on a song that gave him ample opportunities to do so.

Love,
    Billy

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This situation could easily be remedied by the band just releasing it themselves.

25. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

I really like the sound of Fragile. Bodes well for any new release...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.