ARW officially turns into YES feat Anderson Rabin Wakeman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eiricd, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

If you're going to say that a certain era of Genesis was not prog, you could say it just as easily about Yes. I don't really buy it in either case.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  2. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I meant that Yes were more succesful in their prog phase than Genesis were in their prog phase.
    "Invisible Touch" and "We Can't Dance" etc. are not prog, they barely qualify as "rock".

3. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Good for them. I am happy. Steve Howe tribute band can suck it.

4. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Not sure I agree, but that made me laugh.

MikaelaArsenault and Dr. Mudd like this.
  5. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Steve Howe has no intention of performing onstage with Trevor Rabin.
    He wasn't happy to share the stage with him on the "Union" tour, and I doubt he would be now.
    Howe seems a bit prickly, but he's Steve Howe- one of the finest guitarists in any era.

PS: Both Howe and Rabin are not bassists! Of course, I'm sure both can play bass, but I highly doubt they would on stage! Anyone who has any experience playing live music in a band knows full well you can't just "change" bassists numerous times during a set. It affects momentum when different styles and tones are introduced to the rhythm section mix.

7. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is there a picture of this somewhere?!

8. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Except the band isn't only Howe. It is Steve Howe and Alan White from the classic 70's era, and Geoff Downes from the Drama timeframe (who has also been in the band for 6 years now, this time around), and Billy Sherwood, who has been in the band on and off for 8 years now. All 4 of them have history with the band. And up until his death Chris Squire. The only one who is is the current lineup who had no prior history is Jon Davison.

I don't really care what happens personally, whether the two lineups co-exist or eventually merge into one, or one lineup just eventually fizzles out. But the guys in the current Yes certainly have earned the right to be in Yes, regardless whether some fans care more about Anderson and Wakeman and Rabin. All of whom I like too.

9. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Found the pic!

10. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Yes I know, but it's become a ball of confusion. The next thing you know it will be Union2 and wasn't so great the first time around. That's all. Heck I wouldn't even want to see Levin replace Chris. The YES I loved in the 70s was not the same after that decade closed. Still I followed them, but now? What are they going to do? Be like KISS playing the oldies to promote newer albums of half a.. material? Sorry that was harsh. To me no one is as good as Squire. Not Wetton, Lake, Giles, Haskell, Rutherford, Levin, Beggs, and I love every last one of them, But, and it's a big butt, they ain't Squire. Period, so for me, and it's only my opinion, No Fish No YES. It will never be the same.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Crush Everything likes this.
  11. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

The thing i've always liked about Yes, is that they know how to keep things simple...

12. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

So is there any actual new album attached to all this?

13. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

So are Pomeroy and Molino now officially members of Yes? :confused:

14. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Trevor Horn plays bass, just get him!

PDK likes this.
  15. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Was at the HoF induction on Friday night, and my wife and I both thought Howe's comment about keeping the true Yes flame going with Anderson, Wakeman, and Rabin standing behind him was both undercutting and a little petty, especially in light of how classy the Journey induction was. Howe sounded like Ginger Baker, ffs.

Maybe he knew today's announcement was coming?

16. From what I've been reading about this subject from the ARW camp, they recently started work on new material and plan to record more in the next few months, but there won't be an album just yet - the plan is to release smaller amounts of music online (probably in the form of digital EPs or singles) before releasing a physical compilation of everything later. Also, there's definitely a live video in the works, and I'd be interested to see if any of these projects from before this recent agreement can be issued under the Yes name...

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

If that kind of song was all Genesis did at any given time I'd agree, but it never really was. I don't think "We Can;'t Dance" was an especially great album, but at least 40 mins worth of it was pretty clearly in the prog genre.

tspit74 likes this.
  18. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Yes,... they really are the band that just keeps giving...

They are the Dynasty (soap) of bands... and I guess that makes Jon Anderson the Alexis / Joan Collins character...?

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I tend to agree with Endymion here. Genesis didn't achieve major commercial success until the shed most of the overt proginess in favor of a more streamlined sound. Though they continued to make occasional nods in the prog direction in the 80s, that wasn't really what enabled their breakthrough success. Yes, on the other hand, became a blockbuster sales/touring act when they were at the peak of their prog powers in the 70s.

20. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

ARW have been touring and advertising as Yes for about 3 months now and presumably it was Howe's lawyers that stopped them using the Roger Dean logo.

21. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Not just the lyrics but he wrote a ton of the music as well.

22. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Finally.

23. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Didn't know that, thanks, wow!

24. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Dog Ear likes this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's a thin line though, because Genesis was at least close to Yes' level of greatest success on, say the "Mama/Genesis" album, which many fans would say is still part of their prog era. And the people who perceived Genesis as a prog band were always a large part of the audience, it was never exactly the same people who were fans of Collins solo. (Else they went to shows and got hit with "Fading Lights," "Home by the Sea," "Domino" and the rest).

tspit74 and PDK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.