ARW officially turns into YES feat Anderson Rabin Wakeman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eiricd, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

White *is* a classic Yes member, whether his style suits you or you prefer Bruford really isn't the point. He's the drummer on most of Yessongs, and Tales, Relayer, Awaken, Drama, etc. All Yes albums since Tales. He is most definitely part of the classic Yes era. So is Bruford. It's not a zero-sum game. They're both part of the classic era.

You have two classic members in Howe-Yes and two classic members in ARW-Yes. Howe contributed more to Yes than Rabin did overall, IMO. Outside of those 4, you've got Downes & Sherwood on one side, and Rabin on the other. It's all a wash if you ask me.

By the way, in a comparable situation, Clive Burr was Iron Maiden's original drummer on the first few albums, then was replaced by Nicko McBrain. I prefer Burr, but recognize McBrain is part of the "classic" Maiden core, as was Burr. Same with Bruford and White. They both are part of classic Yes.

2. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Geddy's a classy guy. It was cool seeing him play with Yes. Or what's left of Yes anyway.

3. Saganomics

Saganomics Billions (and billions)

This may explain why Alan's been touring in spite of falling apart at the seams. Between Chris asking him to keep it going, and the possibility his presence means the rest of the band will have a better paycheck, seems to me he's trying to tough it out best he can. He has to know how much his level of musicianship has dropped, a musician is usually their own worst critic. I'm not trying to put him down, he's just gotten older and he used to smack the absolute b'jesus out of those drums. That takes a physical toll after a while, and it's no disgrace when your body just won't let you play like you used to. The question is whether Steve could still call his band Yes without Alan. He may not have joined until 72, but he's the only guy other than Chris who never quit the band.

Bemsha and AndyNicks like this.
  4. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Look no further than the "kick you in the head" comment aimed towards the lighting guy during the rehearsals at San Luis Obispo for KTA in 1996! Lol

Lownote30 and Comet01 like this.
  5. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

OK back to
    I capitulate! I was unaware he played on CTTE at all, never seen him credited for it, only Brufford. I still stand by the classic line up if not the original of Anderson,Brufford,Squire,Howe and Walkman as classic YES. I reiterate Whites a great drummer, but for me Brufford is better, tastier, more syncopated? That doesn't detract from AW's contribution, skill or performance with one of progs greatest bands. (hope I excused myself with dignity and pride intact. Peace brothers)

Pete Puma likes this.
  6. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

White didn't play on CTTE. White took over on the tour for that record.

ARK, Bemsha, mrgroove01 and 1 other person like this.
  7. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

But Alan also got 50% of Bill's share of CTTE because that was the price Bill had to pay for leaving.

Bemsha, Comet01 and audiotom like this.
  8. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

You are correct.

9. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I know! Lol. I'm a Yes geek :righton:

Bemsha, boboquisp and 24voltsdc like this.
  10. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Me too. :)

AndyNicks likes this.
  11. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I agree that Geddy Lee should tour with A&W Root Beer or whatever they're called.

Frozensoda and PDK like this.
  12. If only ARW could get Bill Bruford to join them...

izgoblin and longaway like this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

They should get Jon Camp (ex-Renaissance) to play bass.

Comet01 and Scottb like this.
  14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well technically (at least according to the YesYears Boxset booklet IIRC) Chris and Alan BOTH quit the band after Horn quit, leaving Howe and Downes as the last remaining Yes band members, with the option of continuing as Yes with new replacement members if they wanted to, but thankfully they decided to leave well enough alone and went for the likely more lucrative/safer bet "supergroup" angle of Asia instead.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    altaeria likes this.
  15. William Smart

I seemed to have struck a nerve. Please allow me to explain my point of view. Tales was not well received by fans, Relayer while a great album got no air time, Going For The One,which I love, got the air time, but fans that I knew were not kind. Classic YES = Perpetual Change, Yours Is No Disgrace, Roundabout etc. I would even say Going For The One and Wondrous Stories. The lions share of classic YES however is Brufford and that's why In My Opinion Brufford is THE classic YES drummer. Not a statement of fact just my view. I could be wrong, I thought I was once before, but I was mistaken. Peace be groovy to one another

16. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Btw what is the deal with Alan always wearing a hat now?

17. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

My guess would be a combination of baldness and vanity. At least its not a toupee!

Scottb likes this.
  18. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

The lion's share includes both Bruford (note there's just one F) and White. Just like the lion's share includes both Kaye and Wakeman.

All four of them were inducted into the Hall the other night. All are classic members.

19. William Smart

Ty I didn't think so. And Bills contribution to KC is priceless. From a fans point of view. Not sure if he'd agree. Lol

20. TGH7

TGH7 Forum Resident

I think I'll forget all this nonsense and listen to The Yes album.

ARK, SuntoryTime, EwaWoowa and 3 others like this.
  21. I agree he can be pretty grumpy. The one time I met him he was less than friendly but I put that down to him just having a lousy day.

22. I thought he did an outstanding job on the ARW tour. I didn't hear anything generic about his playing. He's a different sort of player than Howe but that's just his style.

AidanB likes this.
  23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The should change their name to "Yeah, but...."

24. William Smart

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  25. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

As best I can gather, it was largely composed by Anderson and some of his regular collaborators, "embellished" by Stolt, largely recorded by Stolt and his crew, and then sent back to Anderson and his guys for vocals and finishing touches. Stolt isn't credited for composition on a third of the album's tracks, whereas Anderson's guys are credited on all but one. Plus, just based on what I hear, it sounds more like an Anderson solo album that's being played by the Flower Kings than anything else. If Stolt were heavily involved in the composition, I tend to think there would have been much more emphasis on instrumental passages and less on vocals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.