As a kid I was so stupid that I thought the Beatles' guitars had speakers. You?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yes, it's true, as a kid watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan for the first time I figured the sound came from speakers hidden in their guitars. Remember (in my defense) that the amps were hidden off camera. I couldn't figure it out.

Did you have any stupid music related thoughts when you were a sprout?

My friend Glenn Hirsch thought the Beach Boys LIVED ON THE BEACH, heh.

Heck, my mom thought there was a person named "Ikentina Turner". She asked me what kind of a name was Ikentina? She heard the guy on the radio announce the name. I told her it was two people, Ike And Tina (I saw them do "Good Bye, So Long" on the Lloyd Thaxton Show). She laughed but felt embarrassed and she must have been 30 at the time.

My little friend David had a 45 called "Go Now" by the Moody Blues. He thought it was about having to go to the bathroom, seriously. "If ya gotta go, you better go now!".:laugh:

2. I had friends who thought Led Zeppelin was the name of a single person.

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

As a wee Lad, I used to look at the Red and Blue Beatles comps and think that they had changed one guy for another one with a beard and glasses... :shh:

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

But she'd never seen them or knew of Ike & Tina Turner...and until around '65, when I found "A Fool In Love" in a 3 for$1 bins as a cutout, hadn't heard of 'em, either.

My thought, watching the early 'lip syncs,' was that everything seemed more loud, more FUN, than the record I had been playing. I swear, watching the short-lived, Milton Berle Show, that the Assocation and "Cherish" were the best thing in the world--that night. And still sounds cool--in mono. But I don't remember everyone playing the right instruments, or seeing any amps, or even mics...

:ed:

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I thought the title of "Trouble Child" on Court & Spark, was "Truffle Child," supposing that if you're going to be a kid who loves truffles, you might just be "Breaking like the waves at Malibu."

6. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Reading liner notes, (Supertramp albums) I used to think that an acoustic guitar was a special kind of electric guitar.

7. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Yep.

When I was six (1966) a local radio DJ did this "introduce" The Beatles each by name into the studio schtick on the air before playing a song and for a moment I thought "wow, I wonder if they're really there? Let's go see 'em!"

Hey, I was six.

Dale

8. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Yeah, in the fifth grade, trying to impress a girl, I mentioned that I liked Ned Zeppelin. (It goes without saying that I hadn't heard a note of their music at the time.)

9. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

10. Batigol

Batigol Active Member

I use to believe that all those massive stacks of marshalls that Eddie VanHalen would have on tour were all used. I was a little crushed to find out only a few were used and the rest were for show. :(

11. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I assumed that all big sounding rock/pop recordings were made in giant rooms. Neil Diamond's Holly Holy is one that comes to mind as my having thought that.

12. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

When I was a kid, I was so impressed that pop groups could go on TV shows and get the exact same sound they did on the record......

Dan

13. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Don't feel bad. I sell guitars for a living and I had a mom come into the store a few years ago with a small acoustic guitar with burn marks on the top of it.
    Her kid decided that he wanted an electric guitar, so he attached a wire to the high "E" string and a wire to the low "E" string and he plugged the wires into a wall outlet at home. The mother was laughing about it , but I'll bet he was surprised.:)

14. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

For about 3 or 4 years I was convinced I had seen The Beatles because as a 5 year old at Disney World (summer of '73) we walked past a band playing "I Want To Hold Your Hand".

Lip Syncing used to baffle me. I remember seeing Neil Sedaka on a variety show singing "Bad Blood" and I thought Elton John must be back stage providing the second vocal.

15. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member

The Monkees really did live in that beach house. I also thought that Mike Nesmith used a quarter to play his guitar (didn't know what a pick was at the time). So, I strummed the hell out of my guitar with a quarter and begged my parents for new guitar strings every day.

16. TKO

TKO Forum Resident

At the beginning I believed that Def Leppard were German, purely because of the name. :shake:

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

When I was 5 or 6 and saw Help! for the first time, I assumed The Beatles really lived together and had zany adventures...

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

They didn't?

19. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I used to wonder how bands managed to fade out while playing the end of a song. :D

20. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

When I acquired a relative's Elvis LP collection, & saw that this particular Loving You album was made in France, I was surprised & a bit disappointed to hear him sing in English.

21. TKO

TKO Forum Resident

Another thing that always threw me for a loop was British singers. Absolutely no accent in the song and then when they spoke it was like "huh"?

Cheers.

22. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

Reading the liner notes to Face Value I thought Phil Collins played a "Prophet" by dressing up like an old preist and singing In The Air Tonight in a very deep voice.

I was an imaginative child :laugh:

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I thought the lead guitar on The Guess Who's American Woman was a synthesizer.

24. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

When I was 5 or 6 the actual thought of overdubbing perplexed me greatly.

I was listening to a James Taylor recording (I forgot which) & noticed that another "James" was singing the background vocals. How was that possible?

I don't think I got "it" until the Buddy Holly Story...or the Davy Jones episode of The Brady Bunch (reruns of course).

25. hauntologist

hauntologist Active Member

What I "learned" about musical instruments whilst listening to Nirvana as a kid: The big crunchy sound (i.e., overdriven guitar) is a bass. Guitars only do crazy solos and stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.