As an archivist, you have to sift through a lot of dirt...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

...but **eventually**, you'll find some gems... like folks who recorded live broadcasts off their TVs and radios!! :)

I'm hoping they sound as good as I think they will... there were some surprisingly sophisticated setups in use back then...

..and anything of this nature is better than having to rely on a kinescope soundtrack!!

-Kevin

Attached Files:

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

WOW!

Whoever recorded those tapes did so with great care. Just look at the clarity of the hand-printing.

Good luck on those.

Mud-

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Cool. I do the occasional transfer to CD of old reel to reel tapes, and I've yet to hear anything quite as neat as what's listed on the back of those, music wise, anyway. The one exception was an elderly lady whose husband had played in a big band, who had a batch of nice stereo reels of them playing. It may not have been Count Basie, but I enjoyed transfering them for her. I did hear some taped "letters home" from Vietnam that were quite interesting too. I love "time travel" like that.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Sometimes, things like this are all that exist. For example, NBC infamously destroyed all of the black & white episodes of the Tonight Show With Johnny Carson, including the first episode. A fan, however, had recorded the audio of the first episode onto reel-to-reel on October 1st, 1962. NBC used this audio in the beginning of the last Johnny show on May 22nd, 1992(with different archival footage). So, don't discount things like this if you find them!

5. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

Actually, the bigger pity is that the Tonight Show wasn't black and white... the tapes that NBC tossed out were in **living color**...!

But I'd even settle for B&W kinescope, in that particular case (...and frankly, I think they got lucky to find an audio tape!!)

-Kevin

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Fan recorded audio of Jimi's performance on The Tonight Show existis. Flip Wilson was the host and Jimi played a pretty smoking version of Lover Man. His amp blew mid-way through the first take and they had to do another. He dedicated it to Brian Jones who had just passed away. Another lost Jimi TV performace is his duet with Dusty Springfield on The Dusty Show in '68. The JHE played Stone Free, VC(SR) and then back Dusty on Mockingbird!! Jimi and Dusty trade vocals on the duet. The only surviving footage from this was taped by a fan pointing his Super 8 camera at the TV set. Quality is horrible but you can see/hear what is going on. A really priceless TV performance that few are aware of.....

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.