As if discontinuing the V15VxMR wasn't enough..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Damián, Dec 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

2. audio

audio New Member

Gotta love corporate America.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Still shows up on their website...I'd expect them to honor it. If it *was* discontinued, I'd chalk it up to abuse from people getting cheap replacements and selling them on eBay. :shake: And who's to say it's not a hoax post over there... *shrug*

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'd better rake up the money for anothet M97xE before they decide to stop making those. I hate Audio Technica.

5. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Really Grant? In the last three months I purchased both the AT 440 and and M97XE, and unless my M97 is defective, there is no top end extention at all. It sounds rather muffled/muted on top (compared to my two V15 Type IV's). On the other hand, the AT has better imaging, dynamics, clarity, but is a bit bright in the treble. Also, the AT tracks ANYTHING, and the M97 is only average, rather like a Grado, tracking-wise.

6. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

In my short little life, this is some of the audio related crap that I have had to deal with so far:

-RedBook CD's outselling vinyl
    -The rise of ProTools and digital (don't get me started :rolleyes: )
    -3M (Scotch) leaving the analog tape industry
    -3M (Scotch) leaving the digital media industry
    -BASF/EMTEC analog media devision going out of buisness
    -Studer discontinuing all analog tape machines
    -Otari discontinuing the MTR-90 multitrack tape machine
    -Shure discontinuing the V15

The list goes on...

7. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Man oh man, I just sent in my VMR (not VxMR) a few weeks ago. Whew, talk about just in time. Wow.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's the thing, man, the AT has thet rise in the high frequencies that I don't like. Maybe that's why you don't like the M97xE? I can see where it may sound a tad closed on the high end compared to the two type IVs, seeing that the type IVs use that Micro-ridge stylus.

As far as tracking goes, I have no problems tracking with that Shure cart. Trackds like a dream. The Grado is terrible. But, remember, there is a lot more at play where tracking ability and even playback is concerned, like tone arm mass, overhang, and tracking force.

9. audio

audio New Member

Didn't this happen before you were born?:confused:

10. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Joe, you're baad luck. Leave the business immediately before they decide to discontinue speakers :D.

11. Joe Nino-Hernes

Yeah, I meant to say RedBook outselling vinyl. That was in like 89'.

12. Joe Nino-Hernes

Really, then we will really have transparent sounding systems... :rolleyes:

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Hyperelliptical. The MicroRidge came out on the 2nd version of the Type V.

14. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

1983, to be exact. I replaced the original Type V's HE with the MR. :agree: Just a stylus change, which I bought from Lyle Cartridges.

15. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

My M97 must be defective...tracks sibilants very poorly, for a Shure.

16. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Thanks Damian for this thread. It got me off my tush to replace a broken VN5MR, and Shure did replace it for the $50. I mailed the unit back to them with credit card info, their work order (PDF file on their site) and a copy of the out of warranty pricing list on their site which even today lists VN series replacement styli at $50 (which I highlighted for them :D ).

Any people with a VN series stylus that Shure still has stock available should probably act fast. It worked out well for me!

17. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

Why are we assuming that this is corporate greed and not the fact that there are environmental concerns that are preventing Shure from making the cartridge in Mexico? Did anyone bother to ask Shure about this issue?

18. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Shure discontinued the V15 series once before. I held onto two with broken stylus assemblies, and then one year I read that Shure put it back into production. I got my updated stylus assemblies for $35 at that time and they still work just fine. We may see this repeat itself in a few years; who knows?

Richard.

19. Joe Nino-Hernes

They discontinued it once before, due to lack of sales. The problem this time, is not lack of sales, but lack of materials. This was in an email that I received from Shure:

Unless they can come up with a sutible replacement material, or a source for beryllium, I can't see how they could reintroduce the V15. :( :( :( :( :(

20. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

:) May be an idea to go in business; any chemical engineer around here who's expert on beryllium? :D :D :D

21. djohnfot

djohnfot New Member

My Grado Silver is a good tracker. While not in the same leage as the best Shures and the AT440ML, it's tracking ability is better than most.

I have never experienced "Grado dance" nor have I found inner groove distorion to be a problem with my Grados. I do take the time to make sure all cartridge alignment and adjustment parameters are spot on - including VTA - as the Grados are less tolerant of alignment errors than most. The only problem I have with the brand is the well-known hum when used with certain AC-motored turntables. Hum is not a problem with my Thorens but is a significant issue with my AR and DUAL turntables. So, for those brands I use a different cartridge.

If Grados were "terrible" I doubt they would be the favorite cartridge for so many vinyl listeners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.