"As the World Turns" is axed after 54 years

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trash like ATWT lasts 54 years yet they cancel Jericho after 2 seasons. I hate CBS.

2. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

One thing really doesn't have to do with the other, one's a soap, the other is prime-time series.

3. zebop

Now that's awful news, I really like her and that show.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It's called being cheap.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

In other words, it didn't stand a chance.

6. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

To put it bluntly, that sucks.

7. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

he played a character named "George", who was the caretaker at some sort of castle or estate in Scotland.... man, i'm forgetting a lot, now that i'm trying to remember, but who was the man who played the villian, he was rich and dastardly and dark?? *LOL*.... he was a real slimeball.... anyway, he had just been accused of some murders and of course we had no idea whether he was guilty or not.... my brother's character, the groundskeeper, turned up dead.... i can't remember whether this incriminated the vilian or was supposedly "proof" that he couldn't have done it because he was somewhere else.... all i know was that he was hired to get killed off and that was it...

i would never expect you to remember him in a million years :laugh:

one benefit for me back then was that i got to attend my second fan club gathering in a row.... i had gone the previous year and when i went with him, i got to hang out with the cast, which did include Julianne Moore.... she was the nicest woman ever, and it was just when she'd filmed "I'll Take Manhattan" with Valerie Bertinelli.... the only thing i could come up with to make small talk was "how was it working with Valerie Bertinelli?"..... :shake: ...... *LOL* UUUGH!... she was gracious about it, though, and one thing i'll never forget is how skinny she is.... i could've wrapped my arms around her twice!

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Soap operas are dying. Women, their primary audience, mostly work now and aren't home to watch them.

CBS does seem in a hurry to kill them off though.

Evan

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I watch The Young & the Restless on CBS, though not as regularly as I once did. Even though soap operas use some ridiculous plot devices, they've at least been based on some interior logic, i.e., something that works within the context of the story they're telling. But for the past two years, it just doesn't make sense anymore, even on its own terms.

I think they're killing the shows off by making them so stupid, the few people who are still watching will be glad, finally, to be put out of their misery.

10. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Hey Don,

Theres someone here to see you.

Attached Files:

11. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Hey, I've got until September! Don't rush me.

12. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

My only viewing of this series was after learning that the character Judge Lowell was played by former radio actor Bill Johnstone, who used to be The Shadow. This was in the early 1970s.

13. zebop

I was a big viewer for a long time, the show hasn't moved with the times, most of it hasn't moved an iota since 1995. Unlike Guiding Light who had more to deal with, ATWT made itself terrible. I can't feel that bad about losing it, it's horrendous.

14. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Shouldn't it end on December 21, 2012. ;)

15. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Not surprisingly, I don't remember the George character at the moment. But, I do remember the castle belonging to Duncan McKecknie. I'll have to ask my mum if she remembers George.

Nice about Julianne Moore! That would be a big thrill. She's a real beauty. I just saw her tonight on 30 Rock.

The villain you're thinking of must be James Stenbeck. He came back from 'the dead' a number of times. Once he was haunting ex-wife Barbara. :)

[​IMG]

16. Ready Steady Go

Ready Steady Go Active Member

I grew up in the days (of our lives) when soaps (and the actors in them) were becoming more respected in the TV and film industry (the Daytime Emmys for example), but despite its popularity in the ratings, I always shied from "As The World Turns". I considered it one of the genre that mostly "little old ladies" would watch. I stuck to grittier terrain, like "Dark Shadows" and "The Edge Of Night", where stabbings, strangulations and premature burials seemed dicier than watching the much-married vixen Lisa Hughes scheme to rope another husband on "World Turns" in between face-lifts.

Sad to see the old soaps go, but as another poster pointed out, no one's home to watch (or has time to TiVo and then watch) daytime stories anymore. And the scripts, acting and general execution of the shows nowadays seem rushed and grasping. Soaps used to go at a slow pace (and were always chided for doing so, and yet, people tuned in every Monday through Friday), but today, the newer characters are largely unmemorable and the old ones are rarely used. Wonder which show is next to go?! RIP, ATWT.

17. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Hey Ready, Steady, Go,

Thats one cool avator!
    The Angels on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Neat-o- !

18. Ready Steady Go

Ready Steady Go Active Member

Thanks, Billdcat. Was tempted to change it, but saw your post and will keep it through the New Year.

As The Avatar Turns....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.