Asia Alpha and Styx Pieces of Eight Audio Fidelity SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

Yesterday I have received my PO8. The sound of SACD layer is superb. By the way I also have old CD.

MikeJedi likes this.
  2. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

I just received my copy of Asia - Alpha. A guilty pleasure album of mine for a long time but I get what everyone says about the production. I've now listened to both layers but honestly could not hear a whole ton of difference between the two. Couple of observations:
    • The Audio Fidelity definitely adds a nice sub low boost that adds a hugeness that is sorely needed on a bass-thin mix like this. There are times when it can be slightly awkward and certain notes react differently to the generous boost in the subs this mastering has. But, for the first time ever this album doesn't sound anemic without fiddling with the EQ.
    • I noticed after ripping the CD layer (and viewing in Audition) that the Audio Fidelity seems to have an inverted phase compared to the original US CD, which I thought was interesting. Just to see if it was this way on the SACD layer, I recorded the SACD layer via RCA jack into my A/D converter and analyzed that in Adobe Audition. Same deal...inverted phase. As a tiebreaker, I ripped my original US LP (it's actually a CRC cut unfortunately...I need a better LP copy) and the phase was the same as the old US CD. Dare I go to the 2014 SACD to compare? Of course I do...it's phase is again, as the original US CD. Strange...I wonder if AF corrected something here; akin to the XTC Skylarking inverted phase discovery perhaps?

3. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Did these all ready sell out officially ? Aside from amazon at $30 . I usually get these closer to 20 with coupons .

4. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Playing "Pieces of Eight" on my new setup and it does sound very good. The SACD layer is very nice. Deep bass, especially in the later half of "The Message". Never knew it went down that far before. Vocals are upfront and clear. Chuck's bass sounds great. Clear winner over the old USA CD.

MikeJedi and sa5150 like this.
  5. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

After getting some time with both these only being able to hear the cd layer . There both the best I have ever heard either album . had a few rips of some vinyl of PO8 and the audio fidelity sounded much more natural to all including the nautilus & white label.
    Alpha topped the original cd by a ton (at least for at least for my ears) . I can't wait to get my sacd setup soon .

6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I finally picked up Alpha. Elusive Disc has it on eBay for $24.99 shipped. Mine arrived in only three days.

sa5150 likes this.
  7. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

That's how I bought mine too .

Galley likes this.
  8. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

You got me interesting when I was reading your post about (inverted phase) , Does this explain why carl palmer's drums sound sometimes like there not recorded very good ,especially the snare drum ? On don't cry it sound like there is no snare . I have not heard the AF yet and hope what you say has finally brought the drums out better . I also have noticed this for the many live shows that Asia has released . During songs his hands are everywhere yet you can't hear them that good . Was it how he miced his drums or the sound mixer ? Now during his drum solo you can normally hear everything crystal clear . (Did the sound guy turn him down or something) ... Really strange .

9. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

Honestly, I don't hear any difference in recordings that are phase inverted. Had I not viewed and compared the waveforms in software I would have never even known it was an issue. I would not let it either persuade or dissuade someone from buying the AF. As for me, I think it's a fantastic release. However, that mushy Lexicon-reverb-drenched mix still remains and I don't think anything short of a remix is going to give you the clarity we all seem to seek in this particular recording.

c-eling likes this.
  10. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

No need to feel guilty . Asia is a amazing band that made some great fun music :)

Which one sounds the best to you ? I having a hard time picking between the audio fidelity and the japan sacd , any reason to even bother with looking for a vinyl of there first 3 albums ?

11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Asia-S/T (Sterling EDP) sounds good, Alpha on vinyl blows, stick with your AF.

bru87tr and sa5150 like this.
  12. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Thanks c-eling .

13. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Anybody have the this yet and any thoughts ?
    Asia [Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)] [Limited Release] Current price is $26.84 . I wonder how it compares to the Audio Fidelity or Japan SACD

Here is the info on it , "Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2010, using US original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players). Comes with lyrics and a description. Green color label coating. Comes in a slim case packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD"

14. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Thanks c-eling . Is that (sterling EDP) same as minimax or budgie , or are those turntable parts... lol ? Sorry I don't know all that much technical stuff about vinyl recordings .

c-eling likes this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Inner wax info Sa, are you delving into the format?

16. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

17. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

But who's going to buy it. Some sellers pipe dreaming.

18. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

$155 maybe,
    but $160 is just ridiculous

19. :laugh:

20. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

I haven't read all 16 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been asked before.

I bought the original CD of "Alpha" many years ago, and I was shocked that the ending of every song was cut off.

Has that been fixed?

21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Who's the seller? Not, by chance, @micksmuse ?

22. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

160? Lolz

23. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I was surprised to see one of the sellers for the $160 Alpha SACDs was Newbury Comics--would have expected them to be more realistic. From looking at Discogs, the going rate seems to be closer to $50 plus shipping.

deredordica likes this.
  24. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Mine was 30.00. Lolz. Insanity ......

25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I think pieces of eight going up a lot as well. Of the two I prefer the sound of the Styx. It’s excellent but I will say that Alpha is the best it will ever probably sound on the AF.... ;)

deredordica and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.