Asia Alpha and Styx Pieces of Eight Audio Fidelity SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

I've got 3 different early cd editions of Asia s/t (UK, Japan and US) and the AF version isn't different than any of those 3. It surely isn't any better.
    So, i expect the same will apply to the forthcoming AF Alpha.
    There are many good editions of Alpha already out there: the early UK, Japan, US and the recent Japan SHM-SACD which also adds the 2 b-sides.
    Look for an early UK cd edition with Daylight tacked at the end unlisted! ==> Asia (2) - Alpha

2. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I can't believe they are really doing Alpha.

I hope it's good!!!

The SHM-SACD is thin and lacks any bass. The original Target CD sounds way better.

jacek2 likes this.
  3. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Funny thing is Astra sounds better than Alpha.

c-eling likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Weird ain't it Ralph :laugh:
    I'm giving this title one more chance!

Scottb and bru87tr like this.
  5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Astra is very good too.

Alpha is the best of the first 3, but that's just my opinion. :)

Astra had great song writing too. JW writing chops were at an all time high on the first 3 albums.

Scott J, Scottb and c-eling like this.
  6. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I've just preordered Alpha SACD at Wowhd, 23.28 delivered to Spain, that is, shipping included, not a bad price.

bru87tr likes this.
  7. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

I am going too preorder Alpha. I missed the first Asia album from AF. I would not have been aware of this release without this thread so thanks! I hope they do Astra as well because that was the first Asia album I listened to a lot of.

bru87tr likes this.
  8. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Right and Astra is a full digital recording. I remember when Astra came out Wetton was on MTV talking about it and how great it sounds being an all digital recording.

bru87tr likes this.
  9. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

That's what's so funny about it. It sounds pretty decent for DDD.

I played my Alpha vinyl recently, I was very surprised the Japan Target beat it.

I asked AF quite a while back to do Alpha and they said they were working on it. So glad they are actually doing it!

zen likes this.
  11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I disagree strongly that the AF self titled gold disc doesn't sound any different than the standard Geffen release. On my system it clearly sounds more full-bodied and detailed with less harshness in the treble. It is easily better to my ears but everyone hears things differently I suppose.

Scottb, bru87tr and zen like this.
  12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have the Alpha target CD. I don't remember it sounding any different than the original USA release.
    And yes, Astra does sound better than Alpha.

Pat

Scott J, Scottb and bru87tr like this.
  13. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I also have the Japan Target and it sounds very good but it could be a bit louder. I hope the AF does sound better as I love this album.

Rick H. and bru87tr like this.
  14. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I agree and think the AF is a nice improvement compared to the original 80's CD. However the AF of Styx' Grand Illusion was not very good so I'm hoping Kevin uses a different approach with Pieces of Eight then what he did with Grand Illusion.

bruce2 and bru87tr like this.
  15. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I have the Alpha Target made in Japan for the US. I seem to remember when the made in the US disc came out right away it was in the goldline series and sold for around $7.99. I also have a cassette from the 90's that says 'Daylight' is on it and it's not!! It was on my original 1983 cassette though.

16. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Absolutely. Especially "less harshness in the treble."

Scottb, bruce2 and bru87tr like this.
  17. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I never got the hate for this album. I was actually quite surprised it fell off so soon back in the day.

The lyrics are excellent. It is one of my top 5 island discs. :)

Rick H. and NorthNY Mark like this.
  18. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I bought this on cassette back in 83 and me and a friend were going away to the beach for a few days and it was a 4 hour ride each way. The only tape we had in the car was Alpha and we played it over and over non stop. No other music the whole weekend and after a few spins I fell in love with this album. The songs are amazing and I don't get the hate either. I guess since there was no Heat of the Moment type of song it wasn't as popular as the S/T. Still this album would sound amazing if Steven Wilson remixed it. That would be something.

19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have never owned or heard Alpha so am really looking forward to getting this SACD. I just recently fell in love with their debut, it took a while to grow on me.

20. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I think I had a regular USA CD not the Goldline version. Can't find that, except for the files in iTunes, but I do have the non-paint faced Japan for USA Target CD.
    I worked at a record store and remember seeing the cassette for Alpha that had Daylight tacked on but I never bought it. I think it sounds decent on the CD's it was released on. I know we won't get it on the AF release. If this was back in the day with Steve mastering it for DCC I could see it added.

Pat

21. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

It might have been out for a few years before it became a Goldline CD. I agree that Daylight sounds fine on the different comps it's on. Actually it's on every comp that Universal (US) released. Yes if this were a DCC release we might have seen it on the disc.

PTgraphics likes this.
  22. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

That's why I wonder if more reverb was added to the final master tape which blurred some of the definition in the mix. I certainly do agree more than likely the only way Alpha can be really saved is with a full remix. But since allegedly Downes shot down "Drama" getting remixed by Steven Wilson I doubt "Alpha" will be getting remixed any time soon.

23. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Awesome! Great cruising music.

I never reach for the S/T when I want to listen to Asia. I always grab Alpha.

Scottb likes this.
  24. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Well, the "Anthologia" double CD, released many years ago, has a nice EQing, but it is too loud. I hope they adapt the EQ to a more dynamical mastering...that would be the perfect solution for these ears ;)

Scottb likes this.
  25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I am looking forward to getting Alpha on SACD. I only had it on vinyl up to now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.