Asia Alpha and Styx Pieces of Eight Audio Fidelity SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I love both albums. The S/T to me still sounds great and at the time it came out it really was something completely different then all the other music that was at the time.

bru87tr and JPagan like this.
  2. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

hmm I never heard about that.
    Granted, I don't think Drama needs a remix.
    I'm just surprised to hear that Geoff took such a stance, since he generally gives a passive impression.

3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

No he did not want a new stereo remix. He did want a surround sound mix but said the multi-tracks are lost. So without the multi-tracks he can't do stereo or surround.

Demolition Man and altaeria like this.
  4. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Thanks for correcting me on that. Of course we have heard the multis being "missing" before in the past but suddenly appear out of thin air... *cough*Close To The Edge.*cough*

Scottb likes this.
  5. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

How does Downes have any say so as to what happens with Drama? He's calling the shots for Yes product now? Yes, his contribution to that album was some of his best work, but, he has a say? Color me surprised if that's true.

izgoblin likes this.
  6. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

I'm guessing he has a say in potential re-issues/remixes/etc when it comes to "Drama" perhaps? I'm guessing on that.

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I'll pick up Asia-Alpha. That whole album is the sound of the big 80's-lots of epic synth rockers on there like Never in a Million Years. I enjoy it more than the debut-possibly John Wetton's strongest vocal performance! I would like to hear a remaster-I've only heard the early Japan cd.

8. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Did you by chance get the PO8 in this release? If so, can you tell if it is remastered or not?

NJB

9. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

It's not. I had this box. Some (or all) the CDs are level shifted from my old A+M CDs but they sound identical. There's a thread about it somewhere.

Scott J and sbsugar like this.
  10. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

He's not calling the shots. It's just that Steven Wilson won't remix an album if the artists don't want him to do it. Since Geoff undoubtedly is one of the main creative forces behind "Drama" Steve would not remix it without Geoff's consent.

11. Joseph LeVie

I'm assuming then this must be out of some weird loyalty towards Trevor Horn's original production(Geoff's demotivation)? I do think Drama's original stereo mix and master was fine. Kevin Gray's remaster was also great, but, you'd think Downes would want the royalties. He must be aware of the growing number of SW mix fans that are collecting every release and are hungry for 5.1.

Of course, that's also assuming the multitracks are even available.

12. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Geoff has said the multi's are lost as he was only opposed to a stereo remix but said he would love a surround mix.

13. Joseph LeVie

Gotcha!

14. My favorite Asia album is Astra. The production of the album is definitely a product of it's time, but I think it sounds the best out the first three Asia albums.

Galley and bru87tr like this.
  15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

That's awesome. Astra is really great.

All the songs are good, I don't skip one!

I think I got burned out on the first album, cause I listen to Alpha and Astra way more.

Scott J and Rick H. like this.
  16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I wish I knew what source Kevin was going to use for the Styx record.

Scottb likes this.
  17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Wouldn't he use the master tapes? Am I missing something?

bru87tr likes this.
  18. conan1982

conan1982 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info; I just placed a pre-order for Alpha. I too am hoping for a better mix.

19. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I'm in for Alpha. I hope they can do something nice with the sonics!

johnny q likes this.
  20. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I don't think it's a certain that the master tape would be used. I don't think it was used for the initial USA CD release - it sounds less than good. I do hope he uses it on this release though.

21. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I don't know as his remaster of Grand
    Most of the first 80's CD's were mastered from LP eq'd tapes. If the master is still available he would probably get a digital copy of the master tape. Most labels these days don't like to send the actual master tape out.

22. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'm with you on this, except that I find some of his recent stuff too bright rather than "flat".

The Joe Jacksons were definitely improved, but they struck me as a bit odd sounding. That could be the recording/mix though.

Somehow I still wanna try Pieces of Eight though because this is one of my favorite Styx albums. I feel like I should support AF for doing it. If it ends up being too bright for me, drat.... I'll just have to remember to play the LP instead. Though to be honest, I don't recall if my LP(s) of that are any great (white hope) shakes.

c-eling likes this.
  23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I like Astra a lot, I find it more listenable somehow than the shrill first two albums* and "Go" is a great opener, perhaps my favorite Asia song of all though "Midnight Sun" might tie it.

I could have seen this band, but had no idea who was in it or I would have been all over it like flies on...er, excrement. :shake:

*I didn't know AF had done the first one. I'll have to check that out.

bru87tr likes this.
  24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I hear 'ya! I love the "Pieces Of Eight" album as well, so naturally I'm hoping that Kevin can bring his "old" magic in mastering to it? As for supporting A.F. for doing it ..., maybe, but Marshall has been picking some real stinkers lately to have Kevin or Steve work on, to be honest. Most of the stuff that he has been choosing to have remastered, are often already great sounding discs and they don't need the K.G. or S.H. treatment. "Alpha" and "Pieces Of Eight" just happen to be two albums that "greatly" need some help on CD. As I mentioned earlier, I can't put a finger on it, but ever since Kevin and Steve went their separate ways, Kevin's work has NOT knocked me out enough to find it worthy to rebuy a title that I already own. To be honest (and with apologies to our kind host), but even Steve's work seemed a bit off as well, that is, until he hooked up with Stephen Marsh and ever since, he's been back in action!

I hope for the fans of both of these albums, get something sonically improved, but both of these albums need far more than a few light handed tweeks, no matter "who" is doing the tweeking!

izgoblin and Scottb like this.
  25. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I seen Asia reunion during the Phoenix tour in 2008. Small venue, $25!

Was the best money I ever spent on a concert. It was an extremely small venue, everyone was front row. They were so tight and so flawless sounding, you would have sworn they were playing and lip syncing to an album. The sound was low level and excellent.

One of the best concerts I ever went to.

Midnight Sun is such a great tune. :)

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.