Asia S/T SHM-SACD. Any reviews?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by squonkduke, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apparently, it features the 2010 DSD mastering based on US original analog tape.
    Has anyone compared this version to the older cd releases?
    Is it worth buying?

Thanks, Alessandro

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Presumably, the real competition is the Audio Fidelity release. I haven't heard it or the new SHM-SACD, but the original U.S. Geffen Asia cd is awful.

3. jacek2

jacek2 Forum Resident

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've got both the Audio Fidelity gold CD and the Japanese SHM-SACD. I'll try to get around to spinning the SHM-SACD soon and will report back. The AF gold CD is very well done.

5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

The AF Gold is much better.

The SACD is a bit bright, I really do not think there is anything you can do to make this one sound great.

AF did a good job though! Here is hoping they do Alpha.

6. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I enjoy the SHM-SACD of this. Sounds fine to me. I was hoping for a bit more bass. Detail is there though.

This title could use a remix to bring up the bass.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The first Asia album remains one of the strangest record productions I've ever heard. It's cold, echo-y and sounds like it features all the worst aspects of digital recording. And I don't even know if it was digitally recorded! Was it? I honestly don't remember ...

8. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sadly you're very right, it can only be beaten by Alpha as the worst produced album of all times.
    Notwithstanding this, i viscerally love both of them.

Alessandro

9. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

+1!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Tapatalk? Is this some sort of spam?

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

If you've gotta ask ...

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I can't afford it?

13. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

14. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

I totally agree. I was psyched when this first came out. I was looking forward to hear John Wetton's great bass playing and my immediate reaction was "Where's the bass?"

Later, Chris

15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

:laugh:

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Okay, I'm finally spinning the ASIA SHM-SACD and although I'm only on the second track, "Only Time Will Tell," I can vouch for the SHM-SACD being the one. The all-around dynamics are breathtaking. I didn't think it was possible to be able to make this album breathe the way they've done it with this release. I can say the SHM-SACD probably sounds better than the original vinyl. No lie here. This the the version to have. The Audio Fidelity gold CD is fine, but the SHM-SACD shines.

I'd be very interested in knowing just what tweaks were made to get this sterile-sounding album to come to life. It's not overly bright, bass-heavy or anything bad at all. No criticisms. All good. I'm fairly amazed. I've not heard such a stellar transformation in many moons. Great job done here.

17. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thanks for your review.

@Claus voted for poor sounding (best shm-sacd thread)
    @rstamberg voted for oustanding sounding/transfer

Why do we hear so night & day differently?

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

First the original mix is horrible :o I agree the 24K and SACD sound better than the original LP.

I have heard both pressings many many times. The AF sounds "good"... compared to any other digital pressings, while the SHM-SACD sounds a bit harsh to my ears. The differences are subtle, but the AF is the best IMO. I can't recommend the SHM-SACD... because the sonics are not much better than the original CD.

19. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Ok.
    I remember I once asked you about how you rates your Best SHM-SACDs. If it was strictly the quality of the transfer no matter how bad the recording was when it came to sonic quality, or the sonic quality of the recording itself, or a mix of both.
    I didn't remember I got a clear answer to that question.

So if there is a harshness in the recording/mix, and the mastering is so transparent to the source, and the HQ medium (SACD) revals that flaws, would it then be rated less because you better hear the recording for what it is, good and bad?

20. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I didn't think the SACD was anything special at all. Nothing I had not heard before, still bright. Maybe your system makes it sound good, maybe I need to listen again but I was pretty sure I was not impressed and it def sounded bright.

AF is the way to go for sure.

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

So does everyone buy both versions just to make comparisons? This recording doesn't seem important enough to go through all that expense.

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Well... I think my digital playback reveals everything from the SACD. Good or bad. I like the transparency and better resolution of many SACDs, but it's the job of the mastering engineer to get a better sound.... and the Asia doesn't sound good to my ears. The 16 Bit (low resolution) AF sounds better IMO.

23. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I have both the AF and the SHM-SACD. I don't think either sounds particularly outstanding. IMO, the master tape must not be salvageable.

24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I guess for some. :D

25. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.