Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Sound Card

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by darkmatter, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I am following the exact same road.

But what would interest me a lot would be a comparaison between the Matrix Mini DAC (true balanced circuitry, volume control) and the Xonar Essence.

[​IMG]

I'm testing the Matrix right now, I am very impressed.

After reading Stereophile's piece and measurements, I was seriously considering the Xonar Essence as a SPDIF transport to feed the Matrix.

2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I just purchased this card for a media server I am building from scratch. It was highly recommended in the PC Audiophile web site. However, I will be using the digital outs to a outboard high end DAC. I haven't finished the build yet, so have not tried it.

3. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

have one of these on order. Can't wait! Merry Christmas to me.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

5. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

Are you intending to use this card as a means of getting bit-perfect output to your DAC?

What DAC are you going to be getting?

6. Raylinds

Yes, the goal is to get bit-perfect output. I already own the DAC, an Audio Aero Prima Luna, which is a high end unit from France that got a stellar write up in 6 Moons Audio several years ago. The system sounds great, but I am having problems with the DAC cutting out.

This has been an ongoing problem for me with this DAC that I have already fixed once by resoldering some connections. According to the one person in the U.S. that services Audio Aero components, european companies cannot use solder that contains lead, so the connections are weak.

As a result, I am using the analog outs from the Xonar Essence until I fix or replace the DAC. There is a noticable difference from the DAC- much less detail, microdynamics and a less defined soundstage, but overall a very pleasing sound. The card is very musical, though I prefer the sound with the outboard DAC, I think one could have a nice system on a budget using the onboard DAC with the Xonar.

7. metalmunk84

metalmunk84 Forum Resident

How can I find out if my PC has a PCI or PCI express slot? I'm using an Acer desktop with Vista that I bought new in 2007 or 2008.

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

There is probably a quicker way to do this other than opening up the case, but I used this to identify hardware and motherboard brand etc.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

then googled the motherboard part # / brand for full specs :)

9. rainspainplain

rainspainplain Forum Resident

I am wondering this. I thought PCI cards can work in PCI Express slots. I think that's the case and there might be some exceptions. If that is the case, which ever slot you have you should maybe still get the PCI version (ST) of this card based on what I've been reading about the Xonar Essences.

Some other questions I have. Is there a difference between using the Xonar Essence's digital out or some other cheaper card's 24/192 digital out? Or is the Xonar Essence so well received only because of it's analog outs? Do you think I would get much of an upgrade if I used the Xonar Essences's DAC over my Yamaha HTR-6060's?

10. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Asus Xonar cards are the best under $1500 audio cards for consumers and serious audiophiles and needledrop users. To better or match them, you're looking at DigiGram or AudioScience which aren't really any better. Low noise, good AD/DA converters and useful connectors and really pristine sounding audio to these acute ears. I think they're the consumer giant killers in sound cards. Music server heaven for cheap.

12. JonP

JonP Active Member

Definitely not! They are a completely different architecture / specification. If one wants the best audio from a Xonar, one has to make sure they have a board with a free PCI slot and then buy the ST version (since it has the CS2000 chip missing in the STX version).

Of course one can buy the STX version if there is only a PCIx slot but the audio quality will not match that of the ST. This is why I bought a spare mainboard, since I worry that when I have to replace the current board they may no longer include any PCI slots.

The stock STX card is good, the stock ST is very good, the stock ST with 6172 op amps in the I/V converter and a 49720 op amp in the buffer position achieves a level of excellence that quite frankly leaves affordable dedicated hifi gear completely in the dust.

I also need to add that the Xonar needs several hundred hours burn-in time - the sound changes significantly over this period.

13. rainspainplain

Does this effect the analog and digital outputs or just the analog or digital? Thanks for your help!

14. JonP

JonP Active Member

Very good question and I don't have a definitive answer I am afraid. The instruction manual contained in an ASUS branded op amp upgrade kit for the Xonar states the following:

"...Modifying OP A and B will change the tonal quality of both RCA and 1/4" headphone outputs while modifying OP C changes the tonal quality of the RCA outputs..."

So going strictly by that, it would seem changing op amps only has an influence upon the stereo analogue outputs.

15. Raylinds

It should only effect the analog outs.

16. rainspainplain

Actually I was confused again but thanks for those answers. What I meant was whatever makes the ST better than the STX, does that only affect the analog output? Not changing the op amps.

17. Raylinds

DOH!

18. rainspainplain

LOL Raylinds!

Well now I'm thinking about getting the STX version. Who says the ST is better, any links? This Stereophile page says the STX is better. I read all of the page but didn't really understand everything. Here's the last line from this page:

"The ST (PCI) version of the Essence didn't measure quite as well as the STX (PCI Express) version, but both still offer very impressive sets of measurements for a product that is a) affordably priced and b) must be housed in the hostile RF environment of a personal computer.—John Atkinson"

http://www.stereophile.com/content/asus-xonar-essence-ststx-soundcards-measurements

Three other reasons why I am considering the STX. It uses the more modern PC connection (PCI express). It's the only one of the two showing on Asus's website (I'm sure the ST can be found in Support but not under the Products links). And because the STX is cheaper on Amazon's website.

19. Great questions, rainspainplain, especially as I too would prefer to get a PCI Express card and don't quite understand how a PCI card (with slower speed and performance) could be better.

Looking forward to learning more!

20. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

See here: http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-xonar-essence-st-deluxe-review/10

The differences between PCI Express vs PCI may not be relevant to this sound card as may be the case for some video card applications.

21. JonP

JonP Active Member

As mentioned, the ST has the additional CS2000 chip not included on the STX. As for the ST sounding better, well I guess I say it sounds better :) But that is of course just my opinion and people are free to make their own minds up. But I have read anecdotal evidence in the past where people who have owned both cards also say the ST sounds better.

I own both cards myself and have extensively compared them side by side and the ST sounds better - as simple as that. Others people's mileage may vary of course.

If the ST measures worse than the STX, then all I take from that is how important it is to use one's ears to determine the quality of a product - and not just measuring equipment.

22. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Am I correct in assuming you'll only be able to use the STX in a new computer?

23. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

It depends on the computer - or more specifically the motherboard. PCI Express is the newer standard and a motherboard with a PCI slot is typically only being offered as a legacy option.

Most standard size desktops/towers that I see offered today still have a single open PCI slot.

24. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Thanks.

25. The ST--which by most accounts is the better card--will work in a wider range of computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.