AT Cartridge question....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chester0711, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Upgrading from an AT440MLb and wondering a few things....

- Are the new VM carts superior in sound? I am looking at the VM750Sh and VM740ML.

- Of those two carts are their distinct differences in sound, anything at all to note? I know one is Shibata and other is Micro Line. I have enjoyed my micro line and do not mind the shrillness of the AT440Mlb. What I really like is the punchiness! I need that punch. My AT440MLb delivers that. (I dont know what the technical term is for punchy, sorry) so whichever one I go with still needs that! Do these have it?

Thanks for any and all guidance. If you can think of a punchy cart outside of the AT line I should try feel free to recommend.

2. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I own the VM740ML and am very pleased. The cartridge itself has a noticeably richer sound the the 440 cart had but the stylus is very similar sounding. I've got a few 440 styli and when swapping them onto the 740 cart, they sound just as rich.

Heckto35 and Chester0711 like this.
  3. Chester0711

Hmmm, interesting info. Was there a reason you went with the ML over the SH?

4. Scott Davies

Microline tracks better than Shibata tips, mainly on end of LP side tracks, and it's puzzling that AT used Shibata on what they consider a higher end cart than the 740. I've used Microline since the late 80's, in fact the original Signet incarnation of the 740 (they look identical), and I've not found anything that handles inner groove distortion better than a microline tip.

Heckto35, Robert C and Chester0711 like this.
  5. Chester0711

Okay. Good info thanks!

6. Chester0711

I just saw a review in another thread stating the VM540ML beats the VM740ML ......I swear, how is this possible with that much of a price disparity ???

7. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I purchased the VM750SH last year and it sounded outstanding. I actually thought it sounded better than the 150 mlx. So last month I upgraded the stylus to the 760SLC, and man...It really made a huge difference. It provides a more detailed sound stage, with just enough air between the different frequencies. I've got about 75-100 hours on it now. I've listened to records that once sounded crapy only to find that they actually sound fantastic!

8. Chester0711

So Pooreboy that makes sense! The cost difference is huge (relatively speaking) between those two. My battle is between the vm740ML and the VM 750SH. Then I read a review that says the VM740ML is not as good a performer as the VM540ML? They are both ML, and yes its one persons opinion but the price difference is significant relatively.
    I wish there was a place I could hear needle drops of all the cart/stylus and decide after hearing them!

PooreBoy likes this.
  9. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I've not heard the 740ml or the 540ml, so I'm not sure why the lower would out perform the other. Hopefully someone who has will chime in. But I'm with you, that's definitely a head scratcher!

10. Scott Davies

The stylus is the same on both of those models, the difference is the cartridge and the 740 definitely sounds richer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.