At last! The STEELY DAN Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Sep 8, 2017.

1. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Yes, that's a fine solo, too.

2. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Btw, that note you mentioned in Black Friday at 1:58...I always thought that was a bad "punch in" and they just kept it. Heh

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I love the vibes (vibraphone)!

4. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

My wife's name is Katy so I have always had a soft spot for this album and I sing a particular line from Doctor Wu when she is less than truthful with me.

But Michael McDonald almost ruins it for me. Donald and Walter display exquisite taste with all their session musos expect for an appaling lapse in this case. I can't stand his voice even when he is in the background.

Jeff Baxter committed an even greater error by bring him into The Doobie Brothers. Now he is fromt and centre and there is nowhere to hide from those hideous vocals.

YMMV.

5. Woods was (he died a couple of years ago), an extremely capable player, starting out as a Bird obsessive but making some great recordings in all kinds of set ups. He played on Monk's big band recording At Town Hall, if I remember correctly. I don't have too many of his recordings but Musique Du Bois is one I'd recommend.

6. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I like how the album title is part of the lyrics of Doctor Wu, not the usual title track song deal.

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I disagree.

Comet01 and Jimbino like this.
  8. My mileage very much varies.. McDonald's vocals work perfectly on the tracks he sings on. 'Peg' without his harmonies would sound terribly flat in my opinion.

9. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Really like the album, not my favorite SD album, still I give it a solid B rating.

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yeah SD probably fits more into the Great American Songbook list than all of the other jazz genres. However, they did touch on be bop and some other jazz genres at times.

11. Rose River Bear

I really like Mingus as well and have around 10 of his albums.
    I listen to classical more than jazz and rock.

Geee! likes this.
  12. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I apologize if this has been posted already...Denny Dias and the 'Katy" fiascos.

Katy and The Gremlin

Bern

Paul P., Jimbino, sunspot42 and 3 others like this.
  13. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

That looks like a great read. Thanks for the link!

Bern likes this.
  14. Rose River Bear

Bad Sneakers

As I said in another post, Donald Fagen used a lot of Major 6th chords in his compositions on KL. Many are used in this song..... the intro is all based on Major 6ths and so is the verse vamp. You can hear the A Major 6th at :16. The pre chorus at :32 has a trademark Fagen descending root line and leads into the chorus at :50. The chorus is fantastic and is pretty much straight Rhythm and Blues based. It is a real treat to hear familiarity in between all of the complex chords but that is what SD does so brilliantly....they never get too far out....well most of the time they don't. Some exceptions two albums from now.

The guitar solo is another gem. The break is based around the verse chords with some variation. The solo is in A Major and one of my favorite lines starts at 2:20 thru 2:22 where Walter ends on the root being played on the B Major.
    Lots of amazing vertical playing here. Sorry @rednoise I respect your opinion but I don't agree that overall WB was a mediocre guitar player. This guitar solo is evidence of that.

15. This album didn't really come into focus for me until about 10 years ago. One weekend I was doing some household chores and decided to put on the Citizen box set. A lot of the tracks I was less familiar with really grabbed my attention,
    e.g. 'Turn That Heartbeat Over Again' from CBAT. It was the stuff on Katy Lied that really made me sit up. 'Rose Darling' and 'Chain Lightning' in particular. The vocals on the chorus of 'Rose Darling' seemed like a mini -homage to the Beach Boys, sweet and precise, there's also that little guitar lead-up to the chorus that builds the tension nicely before that vocal refrain. Pure magic. The lyrics are concerned with blackmail and/or sexual jealousy (it seems to me), but the singing is kind of uplifting.
    'Chain Lightning' must be about the most laidback song they ever wrote, makes you want to lie in some long grass on a summer's day and fall asleep. After reading about the 'Hitler Rally' description in the liner notes on Citizen the song lyrics sound ominous. Bizarre, but it's a standout.

Ginger Ale, WilliamWes and Fullbug like this.
  16. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I wish I had that musical knowledge like this. From my geek perspective, Walter Becker more than served the sound and style of Steely Dan. His solos were always emotional, erudite and served as an indispensable part of SD.

I love the chorus of "Rose Darling" all those years of listening to the other songs and this one just jumped out at me. Oddly "Chain Lightning" reminds me of a song the Manhattan Transfer could have covered, not a lot of words but it has that "old-timey" musicality and cool.

17. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Hey, I'm claiming the Manhattan Transfer analogy, about 3 pages ago. :agree:

I'd also like to sign up for the support group for those who are allergic to Michael McDonald's vocals.

Fullbug and zebop like this.
  18. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Just noticed that disc 3 of the Citizen box set starts with the 3 KL tracks that I've cast aside, followed by all of The Royal Scam, which I've always instinctively rated as my least favourite of the big 7.

Perfect. That's my listening for this week's commuting sorted.

19. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I didn't see that Manhattan Transfer analogy, that is so cool...:righton:

20. Yikes, I couldn't disagree more and I trust Don and Walt's taste when it comes to musicians and singers. They use McDonald because they like his voice and, yes, McDonald changed the focus of the Doobies but when he first came on board with Takin' It To a The Streets, the band was moving in that direction.

For those haters out there who can't stand the Eagles (this isn't up for discussion yet) Tim Schmitt, Don Henley and Glenn Frey provide backing vocals for "FM". Don and Walt always could pick the right folks to play the various parts.

21. Rose River Bear

Rose Darling

Man, lots of fast harmonic rhythm in this one. That is a a geeky way of saying the chords change a lot. Most of the verses are in D Major except for one borrowed chord. Lots of great use of all of the chords in just the key of D. The chorus starts on a G minor chord and adds some passivity/pleading at the get go but then gets stronger rising out to the major. The vocals in the chorus chords provide a lot of the harmonic movement at it sounds amazing in the Beach Boys vein. Neat laid back short guitar solo. Another winner IMO from KL.

Gardo, WilliamWes and zebop like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Wow I thought I was the only one who could take or leave his vocals on the albums. There is something about his vocals that at times sounds pretentious to me. His pronunciation sounds weird and unnatural to me. I like how he sings some of his songs though but not many. He is a good/great songwriter.
    We are in the minority.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    RandelPink and hazard like this.
  23. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Gave Musique Du Bois a "spin" on Spotify and glad I did, much obliged for the recommendation. The man had a terrific sound and vocabulary. "The Summer Knows" is a real showcase.

So cool to have Jaki Byard in the combo here. Dug the nod to Miles on "Willow".

Came out the year before Katy Lied, I see. Wouldn't be surprised if Becker and Fagen had it in rotation on the Steely turntable.

24. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Count me in the pro-Mike McDonald camp. Maybe it's the heavy airwaves exposure I had to his voice in my formative years, but I just like that funky ol' singing style of his.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Donald / Walter ever comment on Chicago (CTA) ?

AudiophilePhil likes this.