AT-LP60 vs older Technics?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by middleWave, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. middleWave

middleWave Forum Resident Thread Starter

so here's my situation:

i'm going home to the USA to spend time with my family until xmas. i'll need a turnable for the purpose of sampling (making beats) with my Maschine mk3. don't need anything fancy, but might want to do some scratching. will also use it for some casual listening with the fam and (finally) break the seal on my new AP copy of pet sounds (stereo!) anyways i digress...will head back to Asia and probably leave the turntable in the US.

the LP60 seems like a nice unit but of course i can't do any scratching with that. a bunch of older technics (not the 1200 of course) turn up on craigslist at the same price, for around $100 - which is basically my budget. i have an AT95E in tow with me - not sure if i could use that on the LP60 or not...

what do you think i'd be better served by?

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

:confused: Are you sure you have that model number correct? I don't believe I've ever heard LP60 and nice unit in the same sentence. Do you mean the 120?

PhilBiker and nosliw like this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

In order to do scratching you need a cartridge specifically meant for it along with a manual direct drive turntable with a very strong motor. Do not attempt to scratch with the AT95E, you'll ruin the cartridge and the record. The older non-1200 Technics often have auto features and such and are not built to withstand scratching.

nosliw likes this.
  4. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

IIRC, the ATLP60 only uses the
    ATN3600L cart

5. middleWave

yeah i wouldn't scratch on that.

but i've got NO problem scratching on the 3600s which i've done for years! i also have the shure white labels and a 44G as well ;) but those aren't with me right now.

6. middleWave

hahaha, nice one.

the 120 looks GREAT. however i'm only gonna be home til xmas so i wanna keep the budget low. plus i already have 1200s back here in Asia ;)

it's more like a temporary fix while i'm back home in the states

Synthfreek likes this.
  7. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

The AT-LP60 is a good beginner turntable for casual listening, but "scratching" is far outside the bounds of what it was intended to do. But there are some inexpensive DJ turntables from brands like Numark and ION which may be suitable for your needs, such as the Numark PT-01 Scratch which is a portable record player specifically designed for "scratching":

PhilBiker and middleWave like this.
  8. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Scratching... and sampling... and casual listening... for $100 or less. I think you might be asking to much. That's a heavy request list even for a table several times more expensive.

At the very least I'd go with an LP120 because it can technically meet those needs. DD motor for scratching. Built in preamp for easy set up and samples. Ability to swap carts so you can keep one for scratching and one for listening. Plus it comes with a functional cart for listening, so you'd only need a cartridge for scratching. But that's going to come in significantly over your budget.
    Have you considered try to find one used? Or since you're only going to be here for a short time, maybe buy a new one with two carts, and then flip it? You'll have to put out more up front, but it could end up with a not spend around your price point.

nosliw likes this.
  9. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

You won't even find a used LP120 for even a $100 or less, plus you'll need to buy a DJ-specific cartridge like the Ortofon Concorde series. I agree with the people that you should get the LP120 at the least.

Those "portable scratch" players are to be avoided. Very cheap and prone to skipping.

patient_ot and displayname like this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

This.

displayname likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.