ATC SCM 19 V2 Monitor Speakers-

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Reviews of these speakers are beyond complimentary. They seem to be exactly what I'm looking for.
    $4300 gives one many different speaker options.
    Anyone with recent "real world" ears on with these? Thanks.

2. avanti1960

nobody? not even our European audio compatriots?

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I only know the bigger models, I'm afraid. Love them!

Ugh! What a horrible set up in that video.

Linger63 likes this.
  4. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Linger63 likes this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've heard plenty of ATCs, I own two pairs, but not heard those I'm afraid, even though I'm a big fan I'd say that if you are thinking of spending that sort of money you really, really, must hear them for yourself first.

Linger63 likes this.
  6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

Also an owner of a bigger model and agree with everyone else here.

Maybe worth a look at SCM 40's too as I don't think they are that much more.

With 40's you get the benefit of a full 3 way with THAT dome dedicated mid!!!

All depends on your room and personal requirements of course.

Best pure SQ option for any real fan of ATC will always be their actives.

Good Luck

Chooke likes this.
  7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

This!!

8. avanti1960

unfortunately this will not be possible.
    what i'm getting from the reviews i have read is that they are extremely detailed, unveiled and open, dynamic and require lots of power. take lots of time to break in as well. stereophile class A. i also want to step away from having too much bass like my current speakers - which seems to cloud things.
    i demoed some harbeth c7es and the bass was bloated along with a closed midrange compared to even my PSB towers.
    i want some speakers that bring the detailed monitor sound.

9. avanti1960

thanks but i am not spending that kind of money on speakers- i believe in the quality but 20k is over the limit.

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Linger63 is right that unless you go for a 3-way model, you will not get the legendary ATC mid-unit. However, that does mean a jump in price, but the active models are still a bargain when compared to comparable speakers plus amp. combos.

If the 3-way actives are out of reach, why not consider the SCM20ASL PRO MK2 instead? It looks to use the same drive units as the 19, is active, is admittedly less pretty than the consumer model, but you could get a pair for just under $5k.

Oh, and with the active models you will not need anything fancy in terms of cabling if you have a balanced pre-amp., as any high quality balanced microphone cable will do and that will cost significantly less than some decent speaker cable.

Linger63 and Dubmart like this.
  11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

All the ATCs I've heard are very accurate and detailed, they give you pretty much exactly what's on the recording, this definitely isn't to everybody's taste, but I like it, the bass definitely isn't bloated, it's accurate sometimes on my ATC 50s scarily so, the bass accuracy is one area where ATCs differ from and surpass many other brands although that's not to say the mids and highs aren't superb as well, it does sound like they may be what you want. The thing is that I would buy ATCs blind, but that's an informed opinion and you are considering spending a lot of money so if you can't hear them can you at least buy them with the possibility of returning/swapping them or can you find a used/demo pair where you could resale without a big hit? They do benefit from running in, but the ATC sound should be there straight out of the box, they just get better from there.

By the way Black Elk makes a good point, the 20s are great speakers, depending on how important the finish is to you the pro line are worth considering and actives make a lot of sense.

I've had my 50s for twenty years, since them I've got to demo several expensive high end speakers and I've not heard anything better, different and great yes, but not better, if you gave me a blank cheque and said buy any pair of speakers you want, I'd maybe consider B & Ws for a moment, but would almost certainly buy some ATCs, hopefully if you get a pair you'll love yours just as much.:righton:

12. thommo

thommo Senior Member

I love my SCM7's (in my tiny room). I find them clean but not bright, and detailed but not forensic.

Since getting my 7's, I've heard a couple of the bigger actives, and they are indeed brilliant, but they are all way too big (soundwise) for my little office. No regrets about getting the 7's at all.

Linger63 likes this.
  13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

15. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi Avanti 1960,

You mentioned a budget of $4,300 yes??

The RRP of active SCM 40's is between $9K and $10K........NOT $20K !!!

Yes it's MORE than your budget but.............you can sell your amp(s) to help offset the difference!!!

If that's too much then that's fair enough...........you could still check out the SCM20ASL PRO MK2's mentioned by Black Elk and Dubmart.

They should outperform passive 19's quite comfortably.

Good Luck!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  16. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I wasn't trying to equate the 19/20 to the 150, or even the 50, but wanted to point out what our host thinks of the brand. I think there is a consistency to the sound as you go through the range, though, as was pointed out above, the three-ways with the ATC mid-unit are even more special.

The price for active 150s depends on whether you are talking consumer or Pro, and what kind of accommodation deal you can get if the latter. Standard black Pro models list at just over $20k, and ATC can also do all kinds of custom finishes but that pushes the price up, of course. Even at $20k, a pair of active 150s is a bargain.

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That roughly equates to UK pricing, unusual for gear to be the same price on both sides of the Atlantic and yes you are right ATCs are consistent throughout the range and with the possible exception of ProAc I can't think of another company whose speakers are.

18. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi Avanti1960,

Check these out...........ATC SCM20 ASL

http://tagnz.co.nz/specials/

[​IMG]

Almost exactly your budget.

Shipping could be negotiated down to possibly nothing as I know they are keen to shift.

New ATC tweeters can be added at your leisure!!!

Cheers

19. avanti1960

Thanks. I can also get these NIB locally-
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCM20ASL

But why would I want to use their built-in amps? I can buy better amps to run the non-powered speakers.

20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Both my pairs of ATCs are passive, but then I've got three Bryston power amps to drive them, unless you already have high end power amps, or are willing to spend a lot of money, more money than buying actives in the first place then actives are the way to go with ATCs, I really like my Brystons and I think we'd all agree that they are pretty high end, but I'm far from sure I'd choose them over actives and at current UK prices replacing my 3B and 4BST would cost around £9,500 a lot more than the difference between passives and actives without any guaranteed improvement in sound quality and possibly a loss of quality.

I would just like to say that looking up current prices has given me rather a shock, I'm very glad and fortunate I bought good Hi Fi when I did as I don't believe I could afford it these days.

avanti1960, Linger63 and sound chaser like this.
  22. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I only have experience of version 1 and I'm very happy with them, truthful and accurate.

Linger63 likes this.
  23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Firstly, assuming you could, at what cost?

Secondly, all the engineering considerations listed in Linger63's link show the benefits of active designs.

Thirdly, all the big name engineers/producers I know who use ATCs, use the active versions (and these are people who can have anything they want).

The amps. in the active ATCs are excellent, and, along with the crossovers, have been optimized for the drive-units.

Any chance you can make a trip to Chicago, for example, to hear both the active and passive models?

Linger63 and Dubmart like this.
  24. avanti1960

Thanks, I know about active amplification and have an ative setup in my car with DSP controlling the crossovers and slopes.
    It just seems as if the electronics in the 20's must not be that great given the low cost of the active units.

You guys will probably love these!
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCM25A

25. avanti1960

I'm looking at the Rogue Audio Pharaoh which puts out 350 watts per channel @ 4 ohms. I listened to this amp and it is a powerful beast yet very high resolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.